Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
A Macbook Pro
macrumors 6502

Lion's Best New Feature

Lion's best new feature, for me, is without any doubt being able to go back and forward between web pages with a 2 finger swiper to the side on trackpad or 1 finger on a magic mouse. My one issue with this though is I can't start using the previous page immediately, it kinda refreshes. This feature would be so amazing if I could immediately start using the previous page.

Try it, what do you think?
A Macbook Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:32 PM   #2
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

TRIM support is the best feature to me. That and spotlight previews.
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
vincenz
macrumors 601

I'm really liking the new look for mail. Makes it very iOS.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:36 PM   #4
CarsonGallo
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to CarsonGallo Send a message via AIM to CarsonGallo Send a message via MSN to CarsonGallo Send a message via Yahoo to CarsonGallo Send a message via Skype™ to CarsonGallo
Extension

Maybe somebody can make a Safari Extension that makes it so it automatically caches the previous page so it will automatically have the page ready to go. O and speaking of that I guarantee theres gonna be an extension thats gonna enable that swipe to the previous page feature in every other browser no. And wait just because that feature got enabled because of Lion, Safari doesn't usually get updated with the OS, for some reason they did this time so that doesn't really count as a feature of Lion, its a feature of Safari. SO that can't be your favorite feature.
CarsonGallo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 07:41 PM   #5
A Macbook Pro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonGallo View Post
Maybe somebody can make a Safari Extension that makes it so it automatically caches the previous page so it will automatically have the page ready to go. O and speaking of that I guarantee theres gonna be an extension thats gonna enable that swipe to the previous page feature in every other browser no. And wait just because that feature got enabled because of Lion, Safari doesn't usually get updated with the OS, for some reason they did this time so that doesn't really count as a feature of Lion, its a feature of Safari. SO that can't be your favorite feature.
Safari has this feature because of Lion's advanced gesture support. So it isn't coming to Snow Leopard.
A Macbook Pro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2011, 11:51 PM   #6
CarsonGallo
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to CarsonGallo Send a message via AIM to CarsonGallo Send a message via MSN to CarsonGallo Send a message via Yahoo to CarsonGallo Send a message via Skype™ to CarsonGallo
Other browsers, same OS.

Ok, but what about people who don't use Safari all the time on their Macs. I' sure an extension will come to Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. So Mac users can enjoy this feature in 3rd party browsers as well as the first party browser.
CarsonGallo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:00 AM   #7
PBF
macrumors 68030

The things that wow'd me:

- Auto-correct in Safari (and wherever else)
- two-finger swiping through Safari history
- Inverted scrolling
- New Mail, Address Book, iCal

The things that I didn't care so much about:

- Gestures
- Launchpad
PBF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
shttngdcknps
macrumors newbie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonGallo View Post
Ok, but what about people who don't use Safari all the time on their Macs. I' sure an extension will come to Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. So Mac users can enjoy this feature in 3rd party browsers as well as the first party browser.
just use better touch tool, im using it in SL and it supports gestures with up to 11 fingers while Lion only supports 4(yes I know most people dont have 11 fingers) ive been using it four a couple of years know and dont know how id live w/o it. My firefox is set up like this, 3finger swipe left/right=back/forward 1 page, 3 finger swipe up/down=HOME/END keys, two finger twist switches between tabs and 4 finger click refreshes the page.
320 HDD
shttngdcknps is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:14 AM   #9
PBF
macrumors 68030

Guys, do you know which feature is earth-shattering for a lot of us, I think?

Ability to install major OS update on the same machine where the installer resides, thus not needing external drive, DVD or second partition.

That is a major one. I'm truly impressed.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:44 AM   #10
Steve Ballmer
macrumors 6502

Liking the new Multi-Touch gestures, though they will take some getting used to.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:50 AM   #11
sux2beyou
macrumors member

Talking

The Device management features in the server settings are awesome. You can remote wipe and lock your Mac or your IOS device from the web!

Image your Mac is stolen, you can login onto your server from your phone (with a slick IOS optimized site) and send a remote wipe command.

I tried a lock, and it restarted the computer and was stuck at a unique lock screen waiting for a one time password I entered.

Also it's awesome that the Mac can now import .mobileconfig files.
sux2beyou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:04 AM   #12
PBF
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sux2beyou View Post
The Device management features in the server settings are awesome. You can remote wipe and lock your Mac or your IOS device from the web!

Image your Mac is stolen, you can login onto your server from your phone (with a slick IOS optimized site) and send a remote wipe command.

I tried a lock, and it restarted the computer and was stuck at a unique lock screen waiting for a one time password I entered.

Also it's awesome that the Mac can now import .mobileconfig files.
Wait, is this option available only to those that choose to install Lion Server from the installer? If so, I very much regret I opted out of the custom install.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 02:59 AM   #13
richard.mac
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to richard.mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
Guys, do you know which feature is earth-shattering for a lot of us, I think?

Ability to install major OS update on the same machine where the installer resides, thus not needing external drive, DVD or second partition.

That is a major one. I'm truly impressed.
yeah thats quite cool! the installer extracts all the install packages to the drive and an image of a bootable installer (like the SL install disc) which is booted from after restarting and installs the packages.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 03:12 AM   #14
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
For me:

Auto-Correct
Dictionary popup
New Mail
Full screen swiping (when more apps are working with it, like iWork)

But the other iOS like features are really growing on me....fast!

"Launchpad, no one needs that....." - I keep using it all the time now.... !
kirky29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:00 AM   #15
mrblack927
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Macbook Pro View Post
Lion's best new feature, for me, is without any doubt being able to go back and forward between web pages with a 2 finger swiper to the side on trackpad or 1 finger on a magic mouse. My one issue with this though is I can't start using the previous page immediately, it kinda refreshes. This feature would be so amazing if I could immediately start using the previous page.

I like it, but I wish it was 3-finger instead of 2-finger. For me, 2-finger has always been scroll (yes, even horizontal scroll), and 3-finger has been reserved for navigation.
mrblack927 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 08:06 AM   #16
poobear
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Macbook Pro View Post

We've had three finger side scrolling for years that goes back/forward in the web history?
poobear is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion