Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
I know it's incredibly soon to ask, but how often do Apple usually release updates to developer software? Just curious whether it's usually every few weeks or months or whatever.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Since Lion is supposedly scheduled for summer release, bi-monthly/quarterly sounds a little bit too infrequent. Dontcha think?

I really hope we get a new build in, say, a week? :eek:

NOw the next question is.. how will it be released? Do we have to get another code? or will it just pop up in the Appstore, or will it work like Snow Leopard betas did came directly through Software Update?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
NOw the next question is.. how will it be released? Do we have to get another code? or will it just pop up in the Appstore, or will it work like Snow Leopard betas did came directly through Software Update?

I think it will be Software Update since that is an easy way to apply the changes to an already installed copy of Lion. The Mac App Store version might get updated as well, but because it is just the installer it would only be useful for people who are installing it for the first time. I don't see how it would make any sense for Apple to have people essentially reinstall the Lion developer build every time there is an update via the Mac App Store.

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Probably and hopefully software update.

And expecting a new build in a week is unreasonable, personally think it will average 4-6 weeks.

But I think it's going to vary alot

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Probably and hopefully software update.

And expecting a new build in a week is unreasonable, personally think it will average 4-6 weeks.

But I think it's going to vary alot

Well since we have only 4 - 5 months till WWDC and 7 Months till the end of summer.. I say we see a build come out quick at first and when bugs get ironed out less and less then GM!

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Well since we have only 4 - 5 months till WWDC and 7 Months till the end of summer.. I say we see a build come out quick at first and when bugs get ironed out less and less then GM!

Sounds about right to me. They must be getting a bunch of reported bugs right now. So they will probably file it down relatively quickly. Leaving the less common bugs that we can notice more after they get rid of the common bugs. Then the time between builds will decrees.

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
I think it will be Software Update since that is an easy way to apply the changes to an already installed copy of Lion. The Mac App Store version might get updated as well, but because it is just the installer it would only be useful for people who are installing it for the first time. I don't see how it would make any sense for Apple to have people essentially reinstall the Lion developer build every time there is an update via the Mac App Store.

If the updates are by Software Update doesn't that mean pirates can get them easily as well though?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Why are so many people installing the beta of 10.7? Seems like a needless headache for something that isn't finished and inevitably not going to meet expectations.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
Since Lion is supposedly scheduled for summer release, bi-monthly/quarterly sounds a little bit too infrequent. Dontcha think?

I really hope we get a new build in, say, a week? :eek:

There's no way it will be any more frequent than every two weeks until we get much closer to release.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
If the updates are by Software Update doesn't that mean pirates can get them easily as well though?

No because it just updates the system, I don't think its the full OS being downloaded!

Why are so many people installing the beta of 10.7? Seems like a needless headache for something that isn't finished and inevitably not going to meet expectations.

I have it installed on both my systems without any problems... So its meeting my expectations fully!

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
No because it just updates the system, I don't think its the full OS being downloaded!

I have it installed on both my systems without any problems... So its meeting my expectations fully!

Yeah but instead of having to go to a pirate site to download the update and add it they just go to Software Update and their done. Or does it only show up if your signed in as a dev? Don't want any more pirates complaining about Lion being unstable.

Maclver

macrumors 68030
Nov 23, 2008
New Mexico
Yeah but instead of having to go to a pirate site to download the update and add it they just go to Software Update and their done. Or does it only show up if your signed in as a dev? Don't want any more pirates complaining about Lion being unstable.

oh... hmmmm.. Good point.. Well their will always be pirates and ways of downloading stuff whether they do it through the app store or via software update

A Macbook Pro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
oh... hmmmm.. Good point.. Well their will always be pirates and ways of downloading stuff whether they do it through the app store or via software update

Of course there will be the sites that let you download and install the update files but it isn't fair they just get the basic file and are good to go getting the rest from Apple at full download speed.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Just isn't worth the (unforeseen) trouble. Or rather the upkeep. I learned my lesson back on 10.0.
They keyword is "back on 10.0". Times have changed since then y'know. ;)

For example, who would've thought one would be able to install major OS update on the same machine where the installer resides, thus not needing external drive, DVD or second partition.

Last edited:

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
Yes. Anyone who has installed Lion will get the updates via Software Update, unless Apple pushes an entire new seed through the App Store, which would require ADC subscribers to get a new redemption code. (While the pirates will have to wait for the new seed to be leaked onto the usual places again.)

Also, I think I recall Snow Leopard builds coming every two weeks. Perhaps they will do the same for Lion. The seed notes already list several dozen known issues, implying they will be fixed in the next build. But when it's released is really anyone's guess.
Why not? Some people want to try it out to see some of the new UI and features. Others just enjoy running bleeding-edge software. All my Linux distros are usually the absolute latest version, despite them all being unstable.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília

Oh...:rolleyes: I live in Pirate Bay...I have one iMac 27 i5, I gave my wife an iMac 24 2,6, I have an iPhone 4 16GB and an iPod Classic 160GB...and these stuffs are not just cheap in Brazil...So...Lion, sorry, I will buy you, but only when the retail will be launched :D

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

Does it really matter? As long as you buy it at the end, people who have pirated it will still probably be sending crash reports.....

It seems to be that Apple wants the bugs found in the this release. So I suspect there will be some seeding activity through App Store and updates through SW update. Then the next "major" feature-complete beta release will probably be made at WWDC.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.