Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Gangztax
macrumors newbie

Shortcut to Launchpad

I was meddling around with Lion and I noticed the fact that Launchpad is nowhere to be found inside the hard drive. It seems to be only present on the dock, it doesn't have a shortcut anywhere else.

The reason I'm wondering this is because I would want to set my mouse button 4 or 5 to automatically start launchpad, but since it's not considered an application, and isn't located anywhere inside the computer, is there any way to find or make a shortcut to it so I can assign a button to it?
Gangztax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:14 AM   #2
jnozsc
macrumors newbie

You can use 4 figures in trackpad to launch the LaunchPad, wish the mouse shortcut too
jnozsc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 07:49 AM   #3
Gangztax
macrumors newbie

True, except I don't have a trackpad or a magic mouse, nor am I interested in paying 69$ for either.
Gangztax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Warbrain
macrumors 603

You can set up a hot corner for Launchpad.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

Go to System Preferences > Expose and spaces > Slide the slider to spaces and set your keyboard shortcut there, you have three options, I set mine as Command and arrow keys. With that, you press Command Up and it brings you to LaunchPad
Old Mar 9, 2011, 04:46 AM   #6
saschke
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorties View Post
Go to System Preferences > Expose and spaces > Slide the slider to spaces and set your keyboard shortcut there, you have three options, I set mine as Command and arrow keys. With that, you press Command Up and it brings you to LaunchPad
Are you mistaking Launchpad for Mission Control? If I press ctrl+arrowUp (my preference for switching spaces is ctrl+arrows), it takes me to Mission Control, not Launchpad.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Shorties
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschke View Post
Are you mistaking Launchpad for Mission Control? If I press ctrl+arrowUp (my preference for switching spaces is ctrl+arrows), it takes me to Mission Control, not Launchpad.

Oh whoops never mind, yeah I was. I also noticed today that my old expose button for show all windows (F12) has changed to mission control even though there are no options anymore in the expose system preferences to set those keys as that, my guess is that is where you will set hotkeys to open Launchpad or mission control or whatever you want it to be, but this build of lion hasn't added that feature yet.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Sirobin
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Sirobin
As far as I can tell, Launchpad is part of the Dock, not a separate application, so youre probably out of luck for now. Im sure Apple will add additional ways to launch it eventually though.
Sirobin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:03 AM   #9
andyorkney
macrumors newbie

Smile It can be done

go to system prefs, keyboard. Then click Launchpad and Dock. Then un-tick and re-tick the Launchpad option and it will give you opportunity to assign a keyboard shortcut. I've gone for Command Option L

hope this helps someone
andyorkney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:18 AM   #10
CyBeRino
macrumors 6502a

I have a Launchpad Launcher app in my /Applications much like Mission Control, Dashboard, etc.
CyBeRino is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 06:30 AM   #11
Typswif2fingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbrain View Post
You can set up a hot corner for Launchpad.
It may be me, but Hot Corners have always been the easiest way to launch the Spaces, Expose and Dashboard on Snow Leopard and Mission Control, Launchpad and Dashboard in Lion.

Quite a fan of Hot Corners.
Typswif2fingers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 02:44 PM   #12
LociKW
macrumors newbie

Double click where the shortcut should be...

I may be slow but I had a few minutes of frustration trying to set this until I randomly double clicked where the shortcut is actually defined on the right side (which is blank as default). Once I clicked in that area it was easy to setup.

I also used CTRL-COMMAND-L

Thanks for the help.
LociKW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:47 PM   #13
RobT
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LociKW View Post
I may be slow but I had a few minutes of frustration trying to set this until I randomly double clicked where the shortcut is actually defined on the right side (which is blank as default). Once I clicked in that area it was easy to setup.

I also used CTRL-COMMAND-L
Thanks!

I had been missing with this for quite a while and your advice finally got it workng for me.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 03:00 PM   #14
buckers
macrumors 6502

Unhappy

Bizarre. This worked initially; had F8 assigned to Launch Pad. But after restart, it stopped working, and now, no combination of keys will work :S
buckers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:04 PM   #15
mox358
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mox358
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckers View Post
Bizarre. This worked initially; had F8 assigned to Launch Pad. But after restart, it stopped working, and now, no combination of keys will work :S
I'm having the same problem. My folders in Launchpad wouldn't let me rename them, Apple Support forums said to restart and it would fix the problem. I did that, and found out my keyboard shortcut for LP no longer works, even though it's still set in the Keyboards system preference pane.

Unchecking, reassigning, and trying again has yielded no success thus far.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:31 AM   #16
opfeffer
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mox358 View Post
I'm having the same problem. My folders in Launchpad wouldn't let me rename them, Apple Support forums said to restart and it would fix the problem. I did that, and found out my keyboard shortcut for LP no longer works, even though it's still set in the Keyboards system preference pane.

Unchecking, reassigning, and trying again has yielded no success thus far.
same here. the keyboard shortcut was working fine for the first thirty minutes or so until it suddenly stopped working. any ideas?
opfeffer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:42 AM   #17
DagazaGZ
Banned

I have it set to a hot corner. Way more convenient for me.
DagazaGZ is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:06 AM   #18
mox358
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by opfeffer View Post
same here. the keyboard shortcut was working fine for the first thirty minutes or so until it suddenly stopped working. any ideas?
I've tried a ton of things... nothing has worked yet. I've been watching the apple support forums as well as here, but I haven't found a solution yet. Which really sucks because I actually like launchpad a lot more than I thought I would. Oh, the irony! haha
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:08 AM   #19
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Not sure what you are all on about. Launchpad is in the Applications folder and not just a part of the dock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 14.06.53.png
Views:	216
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	294933  
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:19 AM   #20
whambam
macrumors newbie

If you are using your trackpad, I found this by mistake. Put 5 fingers on your trackpad opened apart and close them together in the center. That launches launchpad. Enjoy!
whambam is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:05 AM   #21
buckers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mox358 View Post
I've tried a ton of things... nothing has worked yet. I've been watching the apple support forums as well as here, but I haven't found a solution yet. Which really sucks because I actually like launchpad a lot more than I thought I would. Oh, the irony! haha
I know it's been said already, but using a hot corner does the trick for me. But I'd much rather have button on the keyboard like I did when I first set it up. I didn't think I'd like Launch Pad or Fullscreen, but after using only an iPhone on holiday it feels just like having a homescreen on my Mac; nice.
buckers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:50 PM   #22
goastros
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I know it's been said already, but using a hot corner does the trick for me. But I'd much rather have button on the keyboard like I did when I first set it up. I didn't think I'd like Launch Pad or Fullscreen, but after using only an iPhone on holiday it feels just like having a homescreen on my Mac; nice.
Agreed... it takes like like 10 minutes to hit use a hot corner on my 30" monitor.

To set your launchpad short key, open up system prefs and go to keyboard/keyboard shortcuts and set it to what ever you want.

Additionally, I use bettertouchtool that I can set up on my magic mouse to enable any number of gestures to activate the keyboard shortcut.
goastros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:51 PM   #23
davedude
macrumors member

Launchpad is in the Applications folder.

Just drag it back into the dock. I set a shortcut key to Command+Esc to activate it as well.
davedude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:10 PM   #24
buckers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by goastros View Post
To set your launchpad short key, open up system prefs and go to keyboard/keyboard shortcuts and set it to what ever you want.
Only worked for a short while and hasn't worked since (no matter how many times I restart or what I set the key I set it to). Must be a bug.
buckers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:54 PM   #25
mox358
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yeah... I've almost been tempted into trying it, but I've never been a huge fan of hot corners for stuff like this. I use my hot corners for putting the display to sleep and starting screen saver.

The keyboard shortcut was perfect for how I work, so it figures it'd be a bug. Oh well... it gives me something to look forward to in 10.7.1 I guess

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion