Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:04 PM   #1
hakuin
macrumors regular

MS Word: How to make windows even smaller?

Does anyone know how to reduce the minimum height of project windows in Word to smaller than the apparently fixed minimum?

The current minimum height only lets me fit two windows vertically on my little MacBook. I would like to view more if possible.
hakuin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 05:25 PM   #2
jacg
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuin View Post
Does anyone know how to reduce the minimum height of project windows in Word to smaller than the apparently fixed minimum?

The current minimum height only lets me fit two windows vertically on my little MacBook. I would like to view more if possible.
Apparently you are using MS Word wrong. Working on multiple documents on one screen is discouraged by the interface of the latest version. Have you tried hiding the ribbon and toolbar - that saves a lot of space, but unfortunately there's then no way to access most of the functions (unless you're using 2008 or 2004, where you can use the formatting palette).

Maybe you could use Textedit for your task? Pages also allows you to economise on user interface clutter and have multiple windows open, with the Inspector handy if you need to change anything.
jacg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:25 PM   #3
hakuin
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacg View Post
Apparently you are using MS Word wrong. Working on multiple documents on one screen is discouraged by the interface of the latest version. Have you tried hiding the ribbon and toolbar - that saves a lot of space, but unfortunately there's then no way to access most of the functions (unless you're using 2008 or 2004, where you can use the formatting palette).
Thank you. I have hidden the ribbon and have a single custom toolbar along the top of the screen with all the functions I ever really need. And yet, the height windows are fixed to is still too small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacg View Post
Maybe you could use Textedit for your task? Pages also allows you to economise on user interface clutter and have multiple windows open, with the Inspector handy if you need to change anything.
Pages also seems to fix the smallest window height. But wait, NeoOffice doesn't! So there may be hope on that horizon... I'd love to use text edit, but I need it to support comments and making the making of tables easy. One hundred gratitudes for the response.

Last edited by hakuin; Feb 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM.
hakuin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store