Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajdb9

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2008
Hi
I'm going to be using a laptop at University quite a bit, and I have a couple of important questions:
1) Is the glossy useable in lecture theatres generally, or are there too many reflections off the screen? Is the glossy only a problem with sunlight, or does it often have issues with artificial light too?
2) Is the anti-glare at all prone to damage, unless it is physically attacked whilst the screen is open? I hear about these screen-sleeve things and stuff - surely you don't need one?
In other words, what would you recommend to me?
I do a bit of photoshop, but not Pro-level so I don't mind if it doesn't turn out exactly as I see it on my screen. I just want to know about 1) Light Condition's affect on Glossy and 2) How fragile is the anti-glare?
Thankyou so much
Xander

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
1) glare should not be a problem in an auditorium, as the lights would be so far away that the slightest tilt of the screen would eliminate any reflections that might be in the way initially. but yes indoor lighting can be almost as bad as outside light in certain conditions on a glossy screen, for example, if there was a lamp right behind your head you would have a lot of glare and shadow obscuring your view.

2) you don't need any kind of film or sleeve for the antiglare screen, unless you're like.. working in a construction zone or something. if you don't touch your screen it won't even need to be cleaned. it is technically more "fragile" than the glossy screen because it isn't protected by glass, but like i said, it's not a touch screen so don't touch it or throw things at it and you'll be fine. i've had this antiglare viewsonic monitor for 7 years now and it's still good as new, even though my cat will occasionally paw at my mouse cursor.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Hi
I'm going to be using a laptop at University quite a bit, and I have a couple of important questions:
1) Is the glossy useable in lecture theatres generally, or are there too many reflections off the screen? Is the glossy only a problem with sunlight, or does it often have issues with artificial light too?
2) Is the anti-glare at all prone to damage, unless it is physically attacked whilst the screen is open? I hear about these screen-sleeve things and stuff - surely you don't need one?
In other words, what would you recommend to me?
I do a bit of photoshop, but not Pro-level so I don't mind if it doesn't turn out exactly as I see it on my screen. I just want to know about 1) Light Condition's affect on Glossy and 2) How fragile is the anti-glare?
Thankyou so much
Xander

1) It's not the lights you see reflected in the screen in lecture halls.. it's yourself lit up by the lights. If there's literally *any* light and you're looking at a darker image, you will likely see yourself in the screen as well as the image itself. And even if you bump up the brightness, you'll probably see reflections in the black bezel.. If you're working with Word docs and looking at webpages it might not bother you as much though.

2) I've had my anti-glare for almost 2 years, used daily, and I've had 0 scratches or problems with screen durability... No protector or anything here.

articcine

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2010
Lillehammer, Norway
If you worry about reflections due to the glossy screen, you don't need to. They're hardly noticeable in "normal indoor light", however anti-glare fans are making such a fuss about it. I've always had a glossy screen, never been a problem except when the sun has been shining directly on it.

huythanhv2

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2010
I have a question regarding this matter too but I reckon I would make a chaos by creating a new topic. So OP, sorry if I cause any trouble.

I'm just wondering if the glass of the glossy screen weights like 100-200g? Means Antiglare model will be that much lighter than the exact same spec glossy one?

Thanks

Derango

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
P.S: I've heard rumours that AG actually shaves off weight.. Is it true??

Well it does make sense considering there's no longer any glass. But the weight saving is hardly going to be noticeable unless you stick it on a scale.

Fubar1977

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
North Yorkshire, UK
How are your questions not answered by any one if the 2.7 million existing Glossy v Antiglare threads already in existence?

Search the site using MRoogle.

Whitelightning

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Please let us know what you get OP!

From what I observe, seeing yourself in the display is typically not a problem unless the light source comes shining directly behind you, and even still, it doesnt seem to be that bad... unless of course the glass happens to exponentializes it, which from asking around doesn't seem like it is that bad, at least...

At the very least, keep in mind that 15'' didnt even have an anti-glare option before, only the 17 inch, and all 13''ers are forced to use the glossy display, so if usability were that big of a problem... apple would have probably be screwed...

Considering many students are buying the 13'' model... the glare that comes with it shouldnt be THAT bad unless of course you use it outdoors, then again matte screens get very dim outdoors too, so, its not like there isnt a disadvantage to both.

The idea is, you can always plug into an external monitor. It may be getter to get glossy for the vibrant colors, and instead get a matte external monitor if you really require accuracy. Getting the glossy means at least you will have an excellent vibrant display. (you typically dont find glass glossy displays except for imacs and icinema anyways) so can consider it as getting the best display. Matte displays are very common for external monitors and you can easily pick one up anywhere.

Last edited:

Nade

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2010
I feel the complete opposite:

You should get an antiglare in case of anytime you end up needing it.
At home you can feel free to use a glossy monitor.

Also, the vibrance is not that much difference. If you go to the apple store and compare the two side by side you will think the same.

Lastly, the silver lining on the MBP AG is better because it's more stylish (IMO) but it is fingerprint resistant, unlike the glossy version.

Jaimi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
I am right now staring at my dual monitor setup. I am inside with overhead flourescent lights.

The monitor on the left is a samsung anti-glare. The monitor on the right is glossy HP.

Neither show any glare. Both work fine. The glossy monitor has a more contrast, and deeper colors. The anti-glare is a little more washed out.

Have you ever looked out of a glass window? Did the reflection on the window bother you? I bet you didn't notice it.

Make your choice based on what you need - the glossy screen (once the premium option) is less expensive, and the colors are richer. If you are not bothered by some slight reflections, then I would suggest this.

Some people use their monitors in places where the reflections are very heavy - like near a southern facing window during the day, or outside. In these cases, you may want consider the anti-glare.

But I personally prefer the glossy screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.