Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 28, 2011, 06:57 AM   #1
IoanLucian
macrumors newbie

What is the keyboard shortcut for Insert actions?

Hi guys and girls,

I need some help to discover which is the usual keyboard shortcut for "Insert" type actions on Mac computers.

The problem is that I am developing an application that runs both on Windows and on Mac. And to insert empty lines within a table I am using the "Insert" key on Windows but there is no such key on Mac. Still my Mac users want a shortcut for this and I do not know what to use. Is there a standard for it? Or what other solutions did you find in other applications that you used?

I appreciate any kind of help. Thanks,
Lucian
IoanLucian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
nitro912gr
macrumors member

I was looking for the key equivalent for insert a few months before (I wanted to play an old game through DOSbox an a function was in Insert and the game didn't had a change key option).

I ended up after a good google search that there is neither any equivalent key neither the function of insert at all in macOSX.

To be honest I'm not really missing it, few people where using it and I'm up with computers since the late DOS days and never used this key (ok not never, I used it in some games like the one mentioned above :P).

But maybe I'm wrong, as I said this is my conclusion from a google search.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:33 AM   #3
IoanLucian
macrumors newbie

OK but what shortcuts are other Mac applications using for "insert" type actions? I still need to set a shortcut for my "insert empty row in table" action for my users...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:49 AM   #4
nitro912gr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoanLucian View Post
OK but what shortcuts are other Mac applications using for "insert" type actions? I still need to set a shortcut for my "insert empty row in table" action for my users...
I really don't understand, what I know insert is for switch between the insert character typewriting (where you type something and the new letters are pushing any text after them) and overtype where the new text you type is deleting the text after it and replacing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insert_key

If I understand correctly you are programming an application and need a key to do a specific action, right? The why don't you just use a new shortcut key?
Like for example command+i ?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:24 AM   #5
IoanLucian
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro912gr View Post
Then why don't you just use a new shortcut key?Like for example command+i ?
Because I would like to use a common shortcut that users are used to it on other applications too. And this is what I want to find out... which is the most appropriate shortcut? Command-I it is used more for actions like "Import"...

I was thinking to use Command-Enter but I do not know if it is a good choice.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Mal
macrumors 603

Excel on the Mac appears to use Control-I to insert a new row. That's a bit unusual for a Mac program, of course, where the Command key is usually use for commands, but you could use that. Numbers doesn't provide a keyboard shortcut for inserting a row.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 10:25 AM   #7
JonLa
macrumors 6502

A quick google suggests FN+Enter is the equivalent of a PC's INSERT key but I have no way to test this, and am away from my Mac...
JonLa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 11:41 AM   #8
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

On modern computers (even PCs) the Insert key doesn't do anything, so there's not really a keyboard equivalent for doing nothing.

Yes I know how the Insert key originally functioned, but it doesn't work that way anymore... at least not in any program I know of. Open up a Word doc and hit the Insert key. Does the cursor switch to overwrite mode? It doesn't for me.

I'll go along with using command-I for the keyboard shortcut OP.
Darth.Titan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store