Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everybody,

could some Lion developer do me a nice favor and test if this MacMP3Gain version works with Lion?? (including a file gain, not only open the program)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9226287/MacMP3Gain.zip

I ported the AACGain file from PPC to Intel with "XCode" and "MacPorts" (not really knowing what I am doing, to be honest, just after instructions). I really depend on MacMP3Gain (no new versions released unfortunately) and it would ease my mind to already know that it works fine ... (now after the information that PPC code with Rosetta won't work anymore) Thanks!!!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I never "bumped" any thread in my whole life (let alone my own), but as this is really important to me personally, please forgive ... :) If anyone can help out with a short test (shouldn't take longer than 2 minutes), I would be eternally grateful. Thanks for your time, efforts and help!

wurgi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Toronto
Hello, I am not a developer but I happen to be using Lion. Not exactly sure what this program does, but I opened it and I did a file gain and I encountered no problems. Hope this helps :)

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hello, I am not a developer but I happen to be using Lion. Not exactly sure what this program does, but I opened it and I did a file gain and I encountered no problems. Hope this helps :)

Hi wurgi,

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!! That's really good news! Just as an information: MacMP3Gain does write a "tag" in every MP3 (without affecting the sound quality as nothing is re-encoded) which makes them all the same loudness when playing ... As this former-PPC program (at least the Mac version) wasn't updated for years and I know of no alternative (there's a similar program called iVolume, but not exactly what I want ...) I was afraid it wouldn't run. But your test seems to prove that it will still work fine. Thanks again, you made my day!

wurgi

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Toronto
Hi wurgi,

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!! That's really good news! Just as an information: MacMP3Gain does write a "tag" in every MP3 (without affecting the sound quality as nothing is re-encoded) which makes them all the same loudness when playing ... As this former-PPC program (at least the Mac version) wasn't updated for years and I know of no alternative (there's a similar program called iVolume, but not exactly what I want ...) I was afraid it wouldn't run. But your test seems to prove that it will still work fine. Thanks again, you made my day!

Glad I was able to help :) And thank you for the little description.

kanderer

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
Lars666, Have you had any success running any version of MacMP3gain in Snow Leopard on iTunes purchased songs? If so, what one? Every time I run version 1.9 on songs bought from iTunes, it corrupts the file and strips all the tags. I just switched from PC to Mac. The PC version of AACgain worked flawlessly on iTunes purchased AAC files, but I can't find anything for OSX that works.

Thanks!

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm glad MP3Gain works. Am I correct in thinking this is the "intel" version that isn't fully intel?

PS. MP3Gain works fine with me on Snow Leopard with iTunes AAC and MP3.

kanderer

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2011
roadbloc, are you using the GUI version of MacMP3gain, or the command line version? Im using the GUI version, and every time it hits and iTunes purchased track it gives me a "cant open .mp3 error." It seemingly actually adjusts the volume anyway, but when I go back to the track in iTunes the artwork is stripped and I can't re-embed. I'm pretty anal about my music, so this is driving me insane.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hi everybody,

I am the thread starter and haven't looked here for a while as I thought everything is perfect. Guess not ... :(

kanderer: I also sometimes get the "can't open .mp3" message (under Snow Leopard, not Lion), but after that, MacMP3Gain works nevertheless. I haven't experienced the strange "artwork stripped" thing yet - as I am as anal about my perfectly tagged music as you, I have to keep an eye on this. However, MacMP3Gain corrupted two iTunes purchased songs from me, too. As my other iTunes purchases (at least 200 song) were kept alive, I still trust MacMP3Gain, but I'll definitely have to keep another eye on this, too.

As this little program also is my only alternative, please let me know if you find something better. How do you use the Windows version, on a real separate computer, via bootcamp or a program like Parallels? Mabye I should change too, but a virtual machine on my Mac just because of MacMP3Gain ...? (don't have a PC anymore)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.