Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

user843

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2011
I recently purchased TetherMe for my Verizon iPhone. I can confirm that the version I installed does work with the Verizon iPhone. I was able to connect my MacBook Pro via WiFi to the iPhone.

I would like to gain some clarification on how iTether and MiWi differ. If "TetherMe" opens up the personal hotspot functionality within the iPhone 4, is "iTether" needed? The native hotspot feature on the iPhone lists bluetooth as a connection option. Is more needed for a bluetooth tethering connection?

Likewise, if "TetherMe" enables the native WiFi hotspot functionality on the iPhone is "MiWi" needed? Especially since the native hotspot functionality supports WPA2.

I have read that the developers of "TetherMe" are adding in additional functionality to allow Wifi hotpot functionality. What confuses me is it looks like I already have it with the native tethering enabled. I have got to be missing something here. Any thoughts?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
For $1.99 tetherme is a steal.
That's all you will need to tether freely past 4.2.6 even thru tru wifi hotspot.
If you want added features, bells and whistles you can go further and spend more but up to you.

Weiser878

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
MyWi is more for those with software that doesn't include a hotspot option.

I've had it since 3.3

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
For $1.99 tetherme is a steal.
That's all you will need to tether freely past 4.2.6 even thru tru wifi hotspot.
If you want added features, bells and whistles you can go further and spend more but up to you.

TetherMe is great. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't pay a fortune for WiFi tethering. Bluetooth tethering is super easy to use with my MacBook.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
AT&T phones don't get the hotspot enabled until iOS4.3; currently, only verizon users have the hotspot option. People, who wanted to tether their ipad to their iphone, would use the combo of tetherme and itether over bluetooth.
MyWi has some additional features, such as reducing battery usage. However, it loses out to tetherme in terms of security.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
This thread is confusing. Does Tetherme make the verizon iPhone a personal hotspot?

Which one consumes less battery?

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Could have told you tetherme worked on verizon some time ago.

Whatever, everyone has to "confirm" everything these days instead of searching.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I used to use TetherMe before I started using MyWi. The problem I had with TetherMe was that it would change settings everytime I enabled it and this would cause my VisualVoice mail not to work until I put the proper setting back in.

I haven't used TetherMe recently so I don't know if it's still a problem or would affect Verizon settings. Just a heads up.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
This thread is confusing. Does Tetherme make the verizon iPhone a personal hotspot?

Which one consumes less battery?

TetherMe on Verizon definitely consumes some battery. I go through about 8-10% in 45 minutes to an hour tethering my iPad at lunch.

I haven't used TetherMe recently so I don't know if it's still a problem or would affect Verizon settings. Just a heads up.

Works flawlessly on Verizon. It actually will probably be less problematic as there really is only one CDMA APN setting right now (the APN settings were probably what was causing your problems with the GSM phone)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Works flawlessly on Verizon. It actually will probably be less problematic as there really is only one CDMA APN setting right now (the APN settings were probably what was causing your problems with the GSM phone)

Yea the APN settings were exactly what it was screwing up. It was a pain to keep putting in back the setting manually.

IIRC, MyWi utilizes WEP, while tetherme utilizes WPA2.

Not really much more secure unless you have it on 24/7, and that's certainly not the case for anyone. Plus you can lower the transmit power on MyWi to the point that any potential unwanted connection would have to be right next to your iPhone.

TEHi

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
I have tetherme and its great. Does what it says.. best paid cydia app.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Good point. I forgot the battery saving feature also acted as a form of security.
Not really much more secure unless you have it on 24/7, and that's certainly not the case for anyone. Plus you can lower the transmit power on MyWi to the point that any potential unwanted connection would have to be right next to your iPhone.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
TetherMe is great. To be honest, I'm glad I didn't pay a fortune for WiFi tethering.

Now that's funny. Someone who spends a couple hundred dollars on a phone and at least half that every month thinks $20 is 'a fortune'. :D

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
Now that's funny. Someone who spends a couple hundred dollars on a phone and at least half that every month thinks $20 is 'a fortune'. :D

$20 is a lot when a $2 app works just as well. MyWi is notorious for expensive paid upgrades as well. I know you're MacRumors' resident MyWi fanboy given all your other comments on it (in one you even said you hope TetherMe raises its price to $20 to stick it to all its users for not choosing MyWi), but it's simply not worth the money for the vast majority of people at this time. If you absolutely need WiFi tethering MyWi is a good option, but most people don't.

It will be even less attractive when 4.3 comes out if TetherMe provides WiFi tethering for $3, as promised.

Last edited:

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
$20 is a lot when a $2 app works just as well. MyWi is notorious for expensive paid upgrades as well. I know you're MacRumors' resident MyWi fanboy given all your other comments on it (in one you even said you hope TetherMe raises its price to $20 to stick it to all its users for not choosing MyWi), but it's simply not worth the money for the vast majority of people at this time. If you absolutely need WiFi tethering MyWi is a good option, but most people don't.

It will be even less attractive when 4.3 comes out if TetherMe provides WiFi tethering for $3, as promised.

You miss the point, on purpose. It's not whether MyWi is worth the money, it's you describing $20 as a fortune.

And the TetherMe author has promised the price will only be raised by $1.00 when 4.3 comes out?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Compared to what carriers want to charge, both TetherMe & MyWi are worth it if it works well for you.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
IIRC, MyWi utilizes WEP, while tetherme utilizes WPA2.

More importantly, MyWi is ad-hoc networking and TetherMe is infrastructure.
802.11 ad-hoc is not compatible with WPA hence WEP only.
Only the plus side, MyWi has been saying infrastructure (and therefore WPA) are coming soon. I have a feeling that MyWi will hook into the native tethering once 4.3 is releases.

Prior to 4.3 MyWi was justified in charging more. They spent considerable effort in creating the hotpot functionality from the ground up. TetherMe is "simply" a commcenter hack that enables the tethering built by Apple. However, with 4.2.6+ I'd just use TetherMe. I wont be paying MyWi another $10 for iOS5.

As for security, WEP is essentially worthless. Anybody that you need to worry about will hop right past it. Frankly I just leave mine open. That way, at least I'm not under a false expectation of security. ;)

It doesn't look like anyone prefers MyWi to TetherMe, anyways. :D
I love MyWi. It offered wifi tethering well before anybody else. But times have changed. I don't want a hacked together solution when Apple did the job better (WPA2). Just give me the cheapest solution that enables the official feature.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
yep, Err404 pretty much summed it up perfect.
MyWi was perfect from 3.0 till 4.2.1 giving us what Apple didnt but past that the easy and cheaper choice is there.

I've uninstalled MyWi in anticipation of a 4.3 jailbreak and already having purchased TetherMe way back when. Right now I'm using my laptop tethered to my iPhone 4 via USB. Works great and what a steal!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I've uninstalled MyWi in anticipation of a 4.3 jailbreak and already having purchased TetherMe way back when. Right now I'm using my laptop tethered to my iPhone 4 via USB. Works great and what a steal!

I hear you.
Even though I purchased MyWi, I'm going to buy TetherMe after 4.3 is out and probably stick with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.