Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I feel like an idiot for missing what must be a blatantly obvious thing here.

I have two Macs on an intranet at home. Dual-2.0 G5 wired to a Linksys WRT54G, 800 Mhz iMac connected to an AirPort Express being used as a bridge (i.e., it's connected to the Linksys).

I can SSH between the two with no problem, either direction. However, when I go to connect to either one from the other ("connect" meaning pressing ?-K in the Finder), I'm told I cannot connect securely, no matter how the options are set on either machine (see images).

As I said, SSH works fine either way, so that's not it.

What blatantly obvious thing am I missing?

Edit: both running latest 10.3.8, but the problem has always been there.

Attachments

• Connect1.jpg
    Connect1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Connect2.jpg
    Connect2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 86

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I also get this to when trying to connect between my iMac and my father's iMac.... I'll be interested to see what the answer is.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
On the phone with tech support (first time I've used AppleCare for software). We'll see what they say. I wonder if it's the Linksys settings, as I have the problem even with my PB connected directly to the router (i.e., no wireless step).

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't think it would be the Linksys router in particular, unless this problem occurs across all routers.

I also get this error when I'm connected to my Airport base station (wired), and my dad's computer is connected wirelessly.

The same happens when I try to connect my computer through a D-Link 604 --> Airport Extreme --> ~magical wirelessness~ --> dad's computer.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
They're still consulting amongst themselves. Since the problem occurs for me when using only the wired router functionality, we can rule out wireless as a cause.

The guy said this must be "really rare". Odd, as we both see it, and I see it with all three Macs at home. And our routers aren't exactly "fringe"....

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
I've never tried doing this before, but since you asked, I gave it a shot. I'm also getting the same error message, and I don't see what the problem is either.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
They're claiming it's unsupported because it isn't through an AirPort, which I think is complete BS. They can't tell me the ports in use, the panel says it's SSH, and SSH works fine. Plus, this is all internal, so the router firewall shouldn't be interfering (tried turning it off, same results).

Can anyone out there connect using ⌘-K on their intranet to another Mac securely? If so, what is your setup?

wwillie2

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2005
I'm not sure why you are trying to connect securely if you are behind a firewall. Have you tried connecting to other Macs without encryption?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wwillie2 said:
I'm not sure why you are trying to connect securely if you are behind a firewall. Have you tried connecting to other Macs without encryption?
I'm not worried about security behind the firewall (as of now), and, yes, I can connect less securely. However, I'm concerned that this option doesn't work, and am curious as to why - it seems as though it should work, as SSH works fine via Terminal. it annoys me that Apple support has blown this off, when clearly it isn't an isolated incident, and I don't feel like spending $199 on an AirPort Extreme just to see if it'll work.

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
jsw said:
... and I don't feel like spending $199 on an AirPort Extreme just to see if it'll work.
Might be more trouble than it's worth to you, but you could probably directly connect them with an ethernet cable, taking the Linksys router out of the picture completely. Then Apple support couldn't disqualify you on a technicality, so to speak.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
therevolution said:
Might be more trouble than it's worth to you, but you could probably directly connect them with an ethernet cable, taking the Linksys router out of the picture completely. Then Apple support couldn't disqualify you on a technicality, so to speak.
Yah, I thought of that. I might just do it so I can call back and ask why it still isn't working....

Has anyone gotten the secure connection to work?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wwillie2 said:
http://stocksy.is-a-geek.com/information/ssh/ssh.php (very bottom)

As this website says, using the security in the flie sharing only encrypts the password and not the data. So it suggests piping the apple file sharing through ssh. Since you have ssh working in the terminal, this should work.
Ah, nice. Hadn't thought of that. Still get the dumb error when I connect, but at least now I know of a way to do so securely should I need to in the future. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.