Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:41 PM   #1
ABEAR
macrumors newbie

I just spilled water all over my keyboard!

I had some friends over, we were chatting and such. I go to sit my computer on the floor for just a second... I stood up, hit a glass off water, and it spilled all into my keyboard. A few seconds later the screen flickered and changed color. I then powered it down and took the battery out and unplugged it to dry it. About 30 minutes later I tried starting it up and it wouldn't turn on. I have a heater on it now, that's been on it for about 20 minutes. Still, the power chord light won't turn on and the computer won't turn on at all.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I do have applecare still effective is there any hope?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:49 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

It is most likely fried, as water will not dry within 30 or 50 minutes. You need to dry it for several days.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Spilled_...ac_or_Keyboard
And Apple Car will not cover such damage, though a thread from today (MRoogle might help) claims someone got his or her Mac replaced after water damage.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:53 PM   #3
ABEAR
macrumors newbie

This is quite depressing, it happened so fast that there was nothing I could do. when it spilled it was still working. I have tried turning it on, does that mean it is absolutely fried and I better start saving now for a new one?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:04 AM   #4
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABEAR View Post
I had some friends over, we were chatting and such. I go to sit my computer on the floor for just a second... I stood up, hit a glass off water, and it spilled all into my keyboard. A few seconds later the screen flickered and changed color. I then powered it down and took the battery out and unplugged it to dry it. About 30 minutes later I tried starting it up and it wouldn't turn on. I have a heater on it now, that's been on it for about 20 minutes. Still, the power chord light won't turn on and the computer won't turn on at all.

Is there anything I can do about this?

I do have applecare still effective is there any hope?
Applecare DOES NOT help fix water damage or any accidental damage for that matter. Most likely, your MacBook is fried. Your best bet is to get another MacBook. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you can always get a Refurbised Macbook, or you can get a Student Discount if your in college or have a friend/sibling that is in college that doesn't mind going with you to get the discounted mac. OR if you work for the Government they also have discounts lol. You have some options here for discounts :-). Hope this helps a little.
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:05 AM   #5
cluthz
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to cluthz
Let it dry for a few days minimum.
Water doesn't ruin electronics, as long as it is turned off.

If you had removed battery asap and let it dry for a few days it might still work, it did for me when i poured water into mine.

But don't give up, let it dry for several days and you might be lucky
cluthz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:10 AM   #6
ABEAR
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the hope, I'm so antsy about it. I really need my computer for school, but it has all my music and everything on it. I really hope things work out...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:17 AM   #7
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABEAR View Post
Thanks for the hope, I'm so antsy about it. I really need my computer for school, but it has all my music and everything on it. I really hope things work out...
Even if the logic board is fried, you might be still able to access the HDD's content.
iFixIt has some guides on how to get to your HDD.

Btw, my iBook once got a full vase of water spilled onto (wind, curtain and iBook on the floor) it and it flew all into the screen. When I discovered it, the iBook was still running and the display gave a new meaning to "Aqua". I shut it down, removed the battery and dried it for several days, even some hours in the oven at 50C. It worked again and it took a year for the logic board to die (of the then infamous 18 months logic board failure disease) and it would be still working today, if I cared to replace the HDD, as this is currently the component which is kaputt, due to many slight bumps and fallings.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:32 AM   #8
AndyK
Contributor

Your home insurance might cover accidental damage, some policies do, some don't.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:24 PM   #9
ABEAR
macrumors newbie

I woke up today, and put the heater back on the macbook for about an hour... plug in the power chord, and.... it works! I can't believe it honestly, but some how it managed to boot up.

Has this ever happened to anyone?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 01:58 PM   #10
old-wiz
macrumors 604

A wise move right now would be to buy an external HDD and backup your computer with either time machine or SuperDuper/CCC so that you have some insurance. The cost of an external HDD is very small compared to the cost of losing your data/music.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 02:52 PM   #11
hjf
macrumors newbie

This has happened to me when mine was on, and I removed the battery and let it dry out a day or two it worked just fine.

I also spilled coffee on a (different) Macbook, and I let it dry out for weeks before trying to boot up and nothing. Although it didn't work for years, one day it decided to boot up. Strangest thing.

I should probably not drink liquids around computers.
hjf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Famous4it
macrumors newbie

Hi I had a similar accident recently with my Macbook Air. Wondering if your laptops are still working?
Famous4it is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:39 AM   #13
iDutchman
macrumors 6502a

Why do people always try to turn there computer on after it is soaked in liquid? That's the dumbest thing you can do and often the killing factor for permanent damage.

Furthermore, I'd say remove bottom case. Thus both parts. It's easy and there are guides on iFixit.com

Then, dry it out and clean any visible wet spots you might see.

Water is the most gentle of them all and not something like cola, so good luck.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:07 AM   #14
l.a.rossmann
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic10 View Post
Applecare DOES NOT help fix water damage or any accidental damage for that matter. Most likely, your MacBook is fried. Your best bet is to get another MacBook. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you can always get a Refurbised Macbook, or you can get a Student Discount if your in college or have a friend/sibling that is in college that doesn't mind going with you to get the discounted mac. OR if you work for the Government they also have discounts lol. You have some options here for discounts :-). Hope this helps a little.
I would say your best bet is trying to fix the one you have. If you have a job that allows you to print money(has 3D printing gotten that far yet?) buy a new one.
l.a.rossmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #15
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.a.rossmann View Post
I would say your best bet is trying to fix the one you have. If you have a job that allows you to print money(has 3D printing gotten that far yet?) buy a new one.
Lol that post was from over a year ago.
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook