Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyBravo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Glendale, CA
For those that have Lion...can you check if iCal has the ability to provide Alarms or Reminders for Birthdays/Anniversaries that originate from the Address book?

Yes, workaround exists, but I wish a simple little feature like this would be native to the Mac OS.

Thanks everyone.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
No one? Could someone please confirm? This is so ridiculous that such an obvious feature hasn't been in iCal for how many years?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
For those that have Lion...can you check if iCal has the ability to provide Alarms or Reminders for Birthdays/Anniversaries that originate from the Address book?

Yes, workaround exists, but I wish a simple little feature like this would be native to the Mac OS.

Thanks everyone.
The birthday calendar pulls data from the birthday field in Address book and sets an alarm for 12am that same day.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
So now we can have at least have an alert at 12? No chance of changing that to my own preferred time?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
So now we can have at least have an alert at 12? No chance of changing that to my own preferred time?

The default alarm is 12am the day of the person's birthday in the address book. It can be modified to whatever time you want for the alarm on that day. Just double click and change.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
The default alarm is 12am the day of the person's birthday in the address book. It can be modified to whatever time you want for the alarm on that day. Just double click and change.

you are referring to Lion, are you? You are aware that this is not possible in Snow Leopard? Just to make sure.

But it is good to know that they finally seem to have changed the behaviour of birthday calenders in iCal. It really annoyed me not having the possibility of setting a reminder for my birthdays.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
you are referring to Lion, are you? You are aware that this is not possible in Snow Leopard? Just to make sure.

But it is good to know that they finally seem to have changed the behaviour of birthday calenders in iCal. It really annoyed me not having the possibility of setting a reminder for my birthdays.

Yes, the OP asked about Lion and I was referring to how it acts in lion. I actually never used the birthday field in Address book until the OP asked people to test it. Works fine.

rikscha

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great, thanks again. Finally apple fixed this glitch.

buhardilla

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
How do you set the alarm?

Hi,

I´ve read your comments and I have Lion but my birthday calendar doesn´t have the auto-alarm you talk about. I have to set the alarm one by one. DO i have to make any change?
thanks

aaanorton

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Hi,

I´ve read your comments and I have Lion but my birthday calendar doesn´t have the auto-alarm you talk about. I have to set the alarm one by one. DO i have to make any change?
thanks

Neither did mine. Just deselect the checkbox to display the Birthday calendar in the iCal prefs, then re-select it. This will enable the auto alarms. The alarms default to whatever you have selected for the Day starts at: time in the same pref tab.
I deselected my Birthday calendar option, changed my start of day to 10:00 AM, re-enabled the Birthday calendar, and then changed my start of day back to 8:00 AM. Now all my birthdays have a 10 AM alert! Finally!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.