Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093532-jobs_stanford_commencement.jpg

Steve Jobs at 2005 Stanford University commencement
The Telegraph reports that Apple CEO Steve Jobs had been set to be awarded honorary knighthood by the British government and Queen Elizabeth II in 2009, but his nomination was blocked by Gordon Brown, who served as Prime Minister at the time. Brown's block is said to have been related to a failed bid to attract Jobs to speak at a Labour Party event.
The then-Prime Minister refused to knight Mr Jobs in 2009 because he turned down an invitation to speak at the Labour Party conference, a former senior Labour MP said.

Mr Jobs was put forward for the honour by the MP for services to technology. Apple is credited with revolutionising the industry in recent years with its iPhone and iPad devices, which have unleashed a boom in mobile internet usage.
Honorary knighthood can be bestowed on citizens of countries outside the British Commonwealth of Nations and has been used to honor the achievements of a number of prominent individuals. Notably, Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates was named an honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 2005.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Knighthood Nomination Blocked by Gordon Brown?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
On topic - Well, better than bending down on your knees for some other country's 'so-called queen' IMO.

Off-Topic-

Before someone else asks it, why is this on Page 1???!?!??!

(There, I asked it for all of you. Now no need to ask it again (and again, and again)!)

Edit: Guess I wasnt fast enough :(

jlblodgett said:
Is this actually news?!?!

tullys

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Lowlands of Hampshire
As far as I recall he would not be known as Sir Steve as he's not a British Subject; same issue for 'Sir Bob' Geldof'.

As far as inviting him to speak at a Labour Party conference; I think that might be Brown punching above his weight.

The story itself isn't too far fetched as Jony Ive is a CBE (I think there is a limit to how quickly you can bestowed order of chivalries, something like a 5-year gap between each award).

Sir Steve eh?
Too bad, that limey PM blocked it..... Quite an honour to be even considered for.

BTW I love that pic of Steve at Stanford; just when I think I ought to shave, I stop and think...what would Steve do?

Last edited:

unr1

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
UK is just mad they get all the Apple products later and at a higher price.

Suckers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.