Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

125441-march_2nd_invite_small.jpg

An unveiling of the second-generation iPad at Apple's media event tomorrow has been considered nearly a sure thing ever since the invitation making obvious reference to the device appeared, but what has remained unknown is what other related announcements Apple might make at the event.

Cult of Mac reports that in addition to the second-generation iPad, Apple will also debut its cloud-based MobileMe service tomorrow, allowing users to upload media to Apple's servers and access them from a variety of devices.
The Apple staffer, who asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons, said the new MobileMe service will store music, TV shows, and films that were purchased from the iTunes store. The staffer also said that there was talk inside Apple of being able to upload all your music and videos to the cloud whether it was purchased from iTunes or not. However, they couldn’t confirm whether this will be rolled out or not.
Apple has reportedly been working on a revamp of MobileMe said to involve some cloud-based services, with rumors indicating that at least some portions of the service may become free. Apple also recently discontinued its MobileMe retail boxes, although reports have differed as to whether the change is suggestive of an imminent transition for the service itself or simply an adjustment in the way the service is sold to consumers.

The source of today's report also indicates that the iPad being introduced tomorrow should be considered more of a spec bump of the existing model than a true revamp. A more ambitious revamp is reportedly scheduled for later this year.
The Apple staffer declined to give details about the iPad 2 or 3, but said:

"For the iPad 2 don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say. They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about."
A pair of reports from earlier this month suggested that Apple may indeed be planning to launch yet another new iPad later this year, potentially in the September timeframe typically associated with iPod refresh cycles. Additional claims of a more substantial iPad update later this year also surfaced last week.

Article Link: Apple's Media Event to See Introduction of iPad 2, Cloud-Based MobileMe?

CallistoJag

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can't wait for my iPad2 no wait 3..... :p

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
This is going to be the unveil of the iPhone 3GS all over again, except this time replace iPhone with iPad.

Lets hope theres some talk on iOS 5.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Anything purchased from iTunes will be stored for free. If you want to upload unpurchased items, there will be a cost for it.

gr8whtd0pe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Dallas, NC
I still don't understand why people would think that Apple is going to release another iPad later this year. That is not like them, or any company really...

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What if it was only iTunes based content you could store, so you never had to upload anything?

Every item you buy on iTunes gets moved to your Cloud Account, so its always there, without needing to be on your device?

For me that would kill it, as I don't buy any Music/Video on iTunes. Only apps as I have no other option with apps.

They would never do that would they?

RonHC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
iOS 5 preview maybe?

I wonder what new features Apple has for the upcoming iOS, hopefully a better Notification system

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I just don't buy it that there will be an iPad 3 later this year. Certainly, Apple can't ANNOUNCE that tomorrow since that would kill iPad 2 sales. And I don't see how they can come in with just a minor spec bump and expect to compete with the high spec tablets coming out now - they would certainly lose market share.

I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Tony

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Isn't MobileMe already cloud based?

If so those images in the logo were a great bit of foreshadowing.

CallistoJag

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2007
England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure it would even be legal for them to have all your music on the cloud (did you really buy it or copy it) and hard pressed to believe even apple has the resources to put every customers entire collection in cloud. More likely you can stream from a home computer over the web.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They should just include mobile me (free) with any osx/iOS product sold (storage size dependent on product).

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
"For the iPad 2 don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say. They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and a dance about."

Wow, as if anyone would believe an Apple employee would hurt his own company. :rolleyes: Besides, is MR lining it's pockets from Motorola and the likes? Talk about hurting sales with unfounded BS, the second iPad hasn't even been announced yet!!! :apple:

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Ever try to stream a DRM protected movie over 3G without any pre-processing compression on the host? It's completely unwatchable. Unless Apple plans to someone down-convert on the fly on their servers, movies and TV shows will be unwatchable.

Tony

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
What if it was only iTunes based content you could store, so you never had to upload anything?

Every item you buy on iTunes gets moved to your Cloud Account, so its always there, without needing to be on your device?

For me that would kill it, as I don't buy any Music/Video on iTunes. Only apps as I have no other option with apps.

They would never do that would they?

Why wouldnt they? It adds value to buying media via iTunes. If a consumer who has an iPad or iPhone and is debating between buying from Amazon or iTunes and the iTunes content features being moved directly to the Apple cloud, it's a pretty big bonus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.