Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chapmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
UK
Hi all, thought I would get this question in before the boards go mad with excitement after tomorrow's media event.

I am planning to get an ipad once the new model comes out for general light use and media consumption around the house to replace an ageing Macbook Pro.

The Ipad seems to be able to do everything I need it to with one exception. I use music streaming services a lot - mainly spotify.

Spotify isn't available on the ipad unless you are subscription member. Call me tight but I would rather put up with the ads than pay £9.99 a month.

I had hoped the web based services such as WE7 or Grooveshark might work, but both require flash to play music. WE7 also provides an IOS app, but again only for £9.99/month subscription payers. Last.fm are now also charging for mobile users too.

So, two questions for anyone out there who knows about these things....

1.Are there any free/cheaper alternatives to the above that might fit the bill (and work in the UK)
2. I wondered if using Skyfire browser might enable the flash based we7 or Grooveshark sites to work. Anyone know if this might be the case?

Many thanks.

D.

proevofanatik

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2011
Groove shark works with puffin browser on the iPad.

Hi all, thought I would get this question in before the boards go mad with excitement after tomorrow's media event.

I am planning to get an ipad once the new model comes out for general light use and media consumption around the house to replace an ageing Macbook Pro.

The Ipad seems to be able to do everything I need it to with one exception. I use music streaming services a lot - mainly spotify.

Spotify isn't available on the ipad unless you are subscription member. Call me tight but I would rather put up with the ads than pay £9.99 a month.

I had hoped the web based services such as WE7 or Grooveshark might work, but both require flash to play music. WE7 also provides an IOS app, but again only for £9.99/month subscription payers. Last.fm are now also charging for mobile users too.

So, two questions for anyone out there who knows about these things....

1.Are there any free/cheaper alternatives to the above that might fit the bill (and work in the UK)
2. I wondered if using Skyfire browser might enable the flash based we7 or Grooveshark sites to work. Anyone know if this might be the case?

Many thanks.

D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.