Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:56 PM   #1
ajmac25
macrumors newbie

Question Best way to transfer and combine files between two MacBook Pros

I have a MBP at home and one at work. Each have similar files and some different files and programs. I want to duplicate everything on my home MBP unto my work MBP. I have thought about Migration Assistant, but am leery of problems and I do not want duplicate files.I have even though about erasing the work MBP and using Set-Up Assistant to transfer my home files to it then restoring the work files from a Time machine Backup.

Any thoughts or ideas to do this the most simple way and avoid bugs and duplicate files?

Thank you!
ajmac25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 03:58 PM   #2
shamash
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to shamash Send a message via AIM to shamash Send a message via MSN to shamash Send a message via Yahoo to shamash Send a message via Skype™ to shamash
I'm wondering a similar thing, but for MBA to MBP.
shamash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #3
ajmac25
macrumors newbie

Some help...

Shamash,

I did find this webpage to be quite helpful, but still does not completely answer our question...

http://web.me.com/pondini/AppleTips/Setup.html

AJ MAC
ajmac25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:06 AM   #4
jenzjen
macrumors 68000

This worked for me but isn't exact more of an approximation.

Pick the machine that has the most up to date files, programs, etc, basically the one you would keep if you could only keep one.

Then, just copy the key files from the other machine onto the main machine. I'm hope this is <100 files or at least in a few places so easy to copy.

If the main machine is missing a program or 2 from the other machine, install it now.

Now, your primary machine should have everything you need. I'd setup a Dropbox type account, sync my files there and clean install the other machine. Have other machine access the Dropbox so now your files can be accessed by both machines without worrying about version control.
jenzjen is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Tags
macbook pro 15, migration assistant, transfer