Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
I have a server and occasionally I cannot open a file because the server says
<file> is currently in use. Powerpoint cannot modify it at this time. Wait until the file becomes available.

Fact is I am the only one using the server and the file is not open on any of my Macs.

I did check if other system utilities could be accessing the file such as TimeMachine, but this is not the case.

I also checked things such as permissions without success.

This is very irritating. As there is no idea when the file will be available again, and obviously : when I am accessing the file is when I need it.

Is there anywhere to look to see who is using a file in a leopard server environment?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
First of all, how are you accessing it? Local filesystem? SMB? AFP?

If you are opening it over the network, consider that the file was not released previously. Which would cause that message. This is actually a pretty common thing with Office files.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Hi

I do not know the exact terms for the "how I am opening the files". I actually connect to the server by selecting it on the finder window, then just browsing using finder to the file.

I do not think the problem is linked to the fact that the files are "office" as I close the files, rather than hard kill the network connection.

regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.