Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
It seems to me that there will be a ton of iPads with magnet scratches on the rim.... Thats all I can see happening there. A little dirt will scratch it. Rubbing of the magnets against the aluminum will scratch it . I dont see much good coming in this department.

What do you guys think?

Mkz

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Manchester, UK
Are there magnets on both sides of the cover so its held down in both places?

Otherwise, drop the iPad face first, cover swings open, lands on the glass front and smashes it.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
maybe for you guys buying on you should really be thinking about getting the full clear plastic coverage for not only the screen but the back as well asap I am sure they will be out soon

Are there magnets on both sides of the cover so its held down in both places?

Otherwise, drop the iPad face first, cover swings open, lands on the glass front and smashes it.

from what I can tell from the video is that there's a magnet on the flat side as well as the hinge side

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikee.Nu

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2010
San Diego
No more back protection, hence more scratches on the back. Very disappointing.

Where can I see what a leather Smart Cover looks like? Ta.

I never cased my iPad. It's a gorgeous device. What's the logic in making sure the back cover remains pristine when it's never seen?

Anyway, marketed my iPad as mint condition and sold easily.

TomCondon

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
meh 3rd party covers are always the way to go, much better quality imo

on a side note; Mr.Ives - There is a limit to minimalism.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I can see a LOT of smashed iPads.

You go to pick your iPad up from the shelf and kind of half grip the new magnetic top and the iPad itself, and as you start to pull the ipad into your grasp, the magnets pull away from the body, you fumble in a panic and SMASH on the ground!

Personally I want a case to PUT IT IN.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
from what I can tell from the video is that there's a magnet on the flat side as well as the hinge side

Yeah, it snaps shut on both sides in the video. The non-hinged side seems like the same mechanism in the Macbook lid magnets, it can sense when it's closed or open.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
It seems to me that there will be a ton of iPads with magnet scratches on the rim.... Thats all I can see happening there. A little dirt will scratch it. Rubbing of the magnets against the aluminum will scratch it . I dont see much good coming in this department.

What do you guys think?

The real question is how did Apple develop magnets that stick to aluminum (a non ferrous metal)?

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
Solution: don't purchase the smart cover. Instead buy one of the hundreds of third-party cases that are sure to be on the market shortly.

i agree, I plan not to pick up an ipad2 so no problem here I figured I would point out the obvious though as I expect to see many people posting up how they bought the apple cover and it scratched their ipad....

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
The real question is how did Apple develop magnets that stick to aluminum (a non ferrous metal)?

the magnets are inside

Now you're just talking crazy.

the sad thing is that it probably is crazy... everyone is just going to have to have that cool new apple cover LOL Oh I can see it now.

Last edited by a moderator:

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I'm wondering if the smart cover will work with a film on the back - like invisible shield or best skins ever...

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
i agree, I plan not to pick up an ipad2 so no problem here I figured I would point out the obvious though as I expect to see many people posting up how they bought the apple cover and it scratched their ipad....

I definitely wouldn't like that. I'll end up buying front/back screen protectors and a case that protects the back just to be safe.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
i love it actually. minimal, instead of a bulky incase or whatever.

it does the job, i use a shield on the back, and this on the front. magnet wont stop working.

love how fast it comes off, it does the job

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just use a very thin clear skin protector on the backside - hopefully it wont degrade the magnetism and it will provide protection against scratches. Crisis averted.

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
I thought Apple told users to NOT bring magnets close to these devices as it may mess up the compass, etc inside?

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

bob5820 said:
the magnets are inside
You're probably right, though putting magnets inside the case does seem a bit inelegant from a design perspective. I was thinking more along the lines that they might of added some ferrous metal to the alloy.

Then again, knowing Apple, unicorn tears may have been involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.