Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
Reefbone
macrumors regular

How does get Facetime to work on iPad/iTouch?

How does/will Facetime work on iPad? If it's not a phone how would one call it? I have an iPhone 4 and only one phone on my account so how could/would I "call home". Does one need 3G and WiFi or WiFi only to Facetime?
Reefbone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Julien
macrumors 68040

Facetime is over WiFi and not cell/phone (hopefully it will be 3G someday but still no phone call needed). You can simply hit Facetime on a Contact (at the botem right) and it will bypass phone calling.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:53 PM   #3
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefbone View Post
How does/will Facetime work on iPad? If it's not a phone how would one call it? I have an iPhone 4 and only one phone on my account so how could/would I "call home". Does one need 3G and WiFi or WiFi only to Facetime?
as it does on a Mac, you "call" the email address, not the phone number.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4
stev3n
macrumors 6502

Use the email address designated for FaceTime of the person you are calling. iPhone 4 and iPod touch (4th generation): Using FaceTime
stev3n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:54 PM   #5
fpnc
macrumors 68000

Facetime already works on the iPod touch, it uses your email address to make the connection over WiFi and out through the internet.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Reefbone
macrumors regular

Wow... I was under the thought the video went over the Internet and the voice went over ATT's cellular service. If Facetime is entirely VOIP then how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?

Just to verify... Facetime calls do not count against plan minutes?
Old Mar 4, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
stev3n
macrumors 6502

Quote:
FaceTime does not use any of your plan minutes.
stev3n is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Spiterwolf
macrumors member

wifi
Spiterwolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2011, 07:04 PM   #9
Julien
macrumors 68040

Quote:
...how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?...
When you dial a phone number you use cell phone service to make the call and it has nothing to do with your phone being connected to WiFi or not connected. You must be connected to cell service to make a cell phone call. When you make a FaceTime it is WiFi over internet only and has nothing to do with cell service. This is why AT&T/Verizon don't support it because it would bypass their profitable voice minutes while "hoging" up data/internet usage.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Reefbone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
When you dial a phone number you use cell phone service to make the call and it has nothing to do with your phone being connected to WiFi or not connected. You must be connected to cell service to make a cell phone call. When you make a FaceTime it is WiFi over internet only and has nothing to do with cell service. This is why AT&T/Verizon don't support it because it would bypass their profitable voice minutes while "hoging" up data/internet usage.
Really then the only reason is that it doesn't use your plan minutes. I think this stinks especially since it they would need to have Apple in cahoots to make it this way. Seems like they could eleviate some of their cell traffic if all calls went through VOIP when on WIFI but maybe I don't understand VOIP. I guess someone needs to maintainthe VOIP servers... Apple I assume then does this for Facetime so then it would have to be ATT for the other WIFI calls?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 06:10 PM   #11
PCClone
Banned

Quote:
Wow... I was under the thought the video went over the Internet and the voice went over ATT's cellular service. If Facetime is entirely VOIP then how come when I make a normal call while on WiFi it doesn't through VOIP also?

Try using google.com.
PCClone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad