Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:27 PM   #1
AdamLikesMusic
macrumors 6502

How to disable Voice Control?

My old iPod headphones died, so I began using the ones that came with my iPhone. I've never had a problem with voice control until using them, and I assume it has something to do with the microphone on the headphones. Is there a way to disable the feature? I now can't go 30 seconds of running without my music stopping and the damn voice control screen appearing, which is beyond annoying.

I have a 3gs, if that is of any use.

Thanks

(I tried Google searching as well as locally searching these boards, but couldn't get a clear answer)
iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
AdamLikesMusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:42 PM   #2
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLikesMusic View Post
My old iPod headphones died, so I began using the ones that came with my iPhone. I've never had a problem with voice control until using them, and I assume it has something to do with the microphone on the headphones. Is there a way to disable the feature? I now can't go 30 seconds of running without my music stopping and the damn voice control screen appearing, which is beyond annoying.

I have a 3gs, if that is of any use.
You can turn "Voice Dial" off...

Thanks

(I tried Google searching as well as locally searching these boards, but couldn't get a clear answer)
You can turn "Voice Dial" off...Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Voice dial
Old Mar 2, 2011, 06:57 PM   #3
AdamLikesMusic
macrumors 6502

I've done that, but the problem persists. It happens when my phone is locked, too, which I find rather bothersome.
iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:52 PM   #4
beentomb
macrumors newbie

I tried using the voice control and now it pops up every time I start up my computer. How do i disable it. I know the msconfig thing but I cant figure out what application is suppose to be disabled.
beentomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:08 PM   #5
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentomb View Post
I tried using the voice control and now it pops up every time I start up my computer. How do i disable it. I know the msconfig thing but I cant figure out what application is suppose to be disabled.
What are you talking about?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6
AdamLikesMusic
macrumors 6502

Bump. Anybody know if it's possible to disable?

Problem still persists, and now my phone has begun randomly fast-forwarding thanks to apparent voice commands.
iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:41 PM   #7
vachargerfan
macrumors regular

Maybe try restoring your phone. If you do that and it still happens then maybe you have a hardware problem
vachargerfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:14 PM   #8
AdamLikesMusic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachargerfan View Post
Maybe try restoring your phone. If you do that and it still happens then maybe you have a hardware problem
Restoring to what, though? I'm sure this is a problem I would've always had, but I've only just realized it as I've just begun using headphones that have a microphone on them.

I disabled voice dialing as was mentioned in this thread, however I'm not sure of how to disable voice controls altogether.
iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:24 PM   #9
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Restoring to what, though?
That translates into..."I don't know what is wrong so restore it and then take it to Apple.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10
AdamLikesMusic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
That translates into..."I don't know what is wrong so restore it and then take it to Apple.

Well then, I suppose I'll be making a trip to the Apple store this weekend. I just figured I'd see if there was an on/off switch or something for voice controls, rather than make an appointment with them only to find out it was as easy as toggling a setting. Y'dig?
iPod Touch 1st Gen 8GB
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:21 AM   #11
iluvifone
macrumors 6502

Search my previous posts (click my name, then look through). There was an identical thread a few months ago that I posted a solution in. Good luck

Edit: Luckily for you, i'm bored.. so i searched my own history for you.. here's my post, and another useful one.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...41&postcount=7

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...3&postcount=15
iluvifone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:00 AM   #12
Gin Gin
macrumors regular

Are you sure it's not the headphones? It's not likely the microphone in the headphones, but the buttons. Sometimes they short out or something and act like you're pressing the buttons when you're not, that would explain activating the voice controls. Try a different pair.
Gin Gin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:36 AM   #13
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well then, I suppose I'll be making a trip to the Apple store this weekend. I just figured I'd see if there was an on/off switch or something for voice controls, rather than make an appointment with them only to find out it was as easy as toggling a setting. Y'dig?
Sure sounds like the problem is with the earbuds and not the phone....If it were me and I was close to an Apple store, I would probably take it there, but if you are closer to BestBuy, it might be cheaper to just buy a new pair.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting