Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old May 17, 2011, 01:25 PM   #76
KurtangleTN
macrumors 6502a

What does XP have to do with anything?

Do you actually believe there will be some great performance increase by cutting out CD users? Of course not, you might save a couple megabytes for the drivers/code though.

Not to mention, these Core Duo machines are stil very nice. To compare to the latest Macbook GeekBenches only about 25% more, and I'm not entirely sure how much of that is because the newest Macbook has a dedicated graphics card while the originals don't, which would mean for everyday tasks they are pretty much the same. Hell to make it even fairer, the C2D update that will be supported benchmarked only 5% more.

When Apple cut PPC from SL, it was an obvious move forward. Were people who bought an expensive G5 or Powerbook happy? No, but it's a bit more understandable then this move.
KurtangleTN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2011, 06:25 PM   #77
SideStepSociety
macrumors 6502

I've been trying to find a way to install DP 1 on my 2006 CD mini, but I'm not having any luck at all, actually, at this point, I'm kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I'm of course not able to directly install it on the mini, and my 2011 MBP isn't compatible with DP 1, so I can't install on an external drive and copy it over.

Anybody know anyway around this or have any ideas?
Old May 24, 2011, 06:27 AM   #78
tallchris
macrumors member

Not sure if this is correct place to post this but anyway.

I'm looking forward to the retail version of Lion, I've got a macbook 2,1 so I'm not to worried about it being compatible with the processor as its a C2D.

What I was wondering about would be if it was compatible with the Graphics. Mine has a GMA 950, will/has Lion made this 'obsolete'?

Thanks
tallchris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2011, 07:10 AM   #79
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbalone View Post
[I](]If we all took this route we would all still be using Windows machines with XP installed. That is where I like Apple. Keep technology moving and improving. We all know technology is constantly changing. No one forces anyone to upgrade. I guess we could all just have stuck with "Panther" many years ago and be just like all those still out there using XP.
You mean you enjoy giving Apple your money and don't see a problem with their short product support?
Old May 28, 2011, 11:02 PM   #80
Sneakz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallchris View Post
Not sure if this is correct place to post this but anyway.

I'm looking forward to the retail version of Lion, I've got a macbook 2,1 so I'm not to worried about it being compatible with the processor as its a C2D.

What I was wondering about would be if it was compatible with the Graphics. Mine has a GMA 950, will/has Lion made this 'obsolete'?

Thanks
No. Apple still has support for the GMA 950 in Lion. But graphically, your experience might not be optimal. To optimize, Apple has done things like remove the the transparency in Launchpad.
Sneakz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2011, 09:40 PM   #81
Nobita
macrumors 6502

Faster?

I remember when upgrading from Leopard to SL my machine got a lot faster (I didn't use erase and install, I kept all the data intact). Would it be the case as well that SL to Lion will make my machine faster?

I have 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo with 4GB DDR3 RAM Macbook.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:19 PM   #82
zencowboy
macrumors member

Well, I am no developer...

Hello all, I just love the spirit of tinkering.
I have the same macbook pro 1.83Ghz/2GB memory 1st generation Core Duo as the originator of this thread.

I have downloaded both DP1 and DP3 Lion.

I added my motherboard ID to plist/then tried to delete plist.
Swapped out boot.efi files from DP1, put into DP3...no go either (Because DP1 worked on CD).

I am trying this on external clone SSD 10.6.7 SL.

Would changing something in terminal help??

It is getting close to final release of Lion and will shortly have a hacked version for us CD users.

Thanks for any positive info
zencowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 03:46 PM   #83
SisterRay
macrumors regular

No mention of system requirements from Apple today. Do you like they might still support core duos?
SisterRay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:16 PM   #84
chrfr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterRay View Post
No mention of system requirements from Apple today. Do you like they might still support core duos?
No.
It's detailed here: http://www.apple.com/macosx/how-to-buy/
"Your Mac must have an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor to run Lion."
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 04:17 PM   #85
easy4lif
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterRay View Post
on the "how to buy" section its states core 2 duo and up
Old Jun 7, 2011, 09:39 AM   #86
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtangleTN View Post
Do you actually believe there will be some great performance increase by cutting out CD users? Of course not, you might save a couple megabytes for the drivers/code though.
When Apple cut PPC from SL, it was an obvious move forward. Were people who bought an expensive G5 or Powerbook happy? No, but it's a bit more understandable then this move.
Will cutting out CD users be a great performance increase? Probably nothing noticeable at all. Will it save disk space? Some - maybe only really noticeable on Airs with 64GB SSDs.

So why might Apple be cutting out the older CD systems? Well it does cut down on how many different systems they need to test on. Also, Apple no longer has to write and test software (bits and pieces) for CD systems.

I suspect that even if you can hack the released version of Lion to run on CD systems, at some point some update to Mac OS Lion will break on the CD systems.

Those with CD systems, what feature in Lion is crying out to you that you must have it? I have a system that is fine for Lion and truthfully, I'm not that impressed with it. So not impressed that I will need to go in to an Apple Store and play with Lion to see if there's anything I really need and to make sure it hasn't broken things like Mail to uselessness for me.

EDIT: When I say my system is fine for Lion, I mean fully supported.

Last edited by Bear; Jun 8, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Bear is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:14 PM   #87
cubanmiami05
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
You can also find the board-id via

Code:
ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id
and then add it to PlatformSupport.plist with Apples Property List Editor:

Code:
sudo /Developer/Applications/Utilities/Property\ List\ Editor.app/Contents/MacOS/Property\ List\ Editor

hi , Thanks I just found the board id , but How do I add it to the PlatformSupport if its READ ONLY FILE ??
cubanmiami05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:20 AM   #88
KurtangleTN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Will cutting out CD users be a great performance increase? Probably nothing noticeable at all. Will it save disk space? Some - maybe only really noticeable on Airs with 64GB SSDs.

So why might Apple be cutting out the older CD systems? Well it does cut down on how many different systems they need to test on. Also, Apple no longer has to write and test software (bits and pieces) for CD systems.

I suspect that even if you can hack the released version of Lion to run on CD systems, at some point some update to Mac OS Lion will break on the CD systems.

Those with CD systems, what feature in Lion is crying out to you that you must have it? I have a system that is fine for Lion and truthfully, I'm not that impressed with it. So not impressed that I will need to go in to an Apple Store and play with Lion to see if there's anything I really need and to make sure it hasn't broken things like Mail to uselessness for me.
As I said earlier, it's mainly because you're left behind and Apple shows little mercy for those who don't upgrade.

Apps (especially Apple's) in the future will only support 10.7+, future security updates will only support 10.7+ (as seen with MacDefender), soon certain Apple peripherals and hardware (iPods possible) will only support the later OS. The app store is going to help push this initiative even faster with all of the new stuff it allows developers to do in Lion.
KurtangleTN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 07:26 AM   #89
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtangleTN View Post
As I said earlier, it's mainly because you're left behind and Apple shows little mercy for those who don't upgrade.

Apps (especially Apple's) in the future will only support 10.7+, future security updates will only support 10.7+ (as seen with MacDefender), soon certain Apple peripherals and hardware (iPods possible) will only support the later OS. The app store is going to help push this initiative even faster with all of the new stuff it allows developers to do in Lion.
A lot of companies show no mercy. I have a perfectly fine scanner that actually only barely works in Snow Leopard. But Canon wants me to buy a new scanner so there is no driver update.

Traditionally Apple has always provided security updates for the previous version of OS X. I suspect we'll continue to see that happening.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 08:46 PM   #90
easy4lif
macrumors regular

look, i know that everyone is freaking out that lion won't run on core duo's but i wouldn't worry too much. i give it a day or 2 after release that its torrented and a day after that, that the hackintosh crowd figures out how to bypass all the apple lockout features. within a week core duo's will be running lion just like everyone else.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:18 PM   #91
SideStepSociety
macrumors 6502

Except it's nothing like jailbreaking if Apple decides to remove all the 32 bit code from Lion, if they haven't already done so.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:40 PM   #92
cubanmiami05
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy4lif View Post
look, i know that everyone is freaking out that lion won't run on core duo's but i wouldn't worry too much. i give it a day or 2 after release that its torrented and a day after that, that the hackintosh crowd figures out how to bypass all the apple lockout features. within a week core duo's will be running lion just like everyone else.
Lets Hope So !!
cubanmiami05 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:05 AM   #93
elnegas
macrumors newbie

Lion DP4 on Core Duo

Hi,

I have managed to run Lion DP4 on my MacBook Core Duo, here are the steps:
- Install first on a compatible Mac
- Delete PlatformSupport.plist
- Bless boot.efi from DP1
- replace mach_kernel from DP1
- replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext and IOFireWireFamily.kext from DP1

But there are some issues that makes it impossible to work with:

- Finder is only in x64, so no way to run it, the rest of apps stay in x86
- launchd process uses all CPU and Memory resources, so it is not possible to work normally with.
* It's possible to disable some launchDaemons loaded by launchd (related to crash reports, etc), to resolve the last issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2011-06-11 a la(s) 16.36.13.png
Views:	383
Size:	744.2 KB
ID:	289116  

Last edited by elnegas; Jun 14, 2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: forgot one kext to replace
elnegas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:53 AM   #94
gvollant
macrumors newbie

Hi,
Iíve a Mac Mini1,1, which was shipped with Core Duo, and I had replaced Core Duo by a Core 2 duo
(Snow leopard can uses 64 bits application).

I tried modify or remove the /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist file, but I still have the compatibility error message at startup
gvollant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:08 PM   #95
ResPublica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnegas View Post
Hi,

I have managed to run Lion DP4 on my MacBook Core Duo, here are the steps:
- Install first on a compatible Mac
- Delete PlatformSupport.plist
- Bless boot.efi from DP1
- replace mach_kernel from DP1
- replace AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementClient.kext and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext from DP1

But there are some issues that makes it impossible to work with:

- Finder is only in x64, so no way to run it, the rest of apps stay in x86
- launchd process uses all CPU and Memory resources, so it is not possible to work normally with.
* It's possible to disable some launchDaemons loaded by launchd (related to crash reports, etc), to resolve the last issue.
Great work. Perhaps you could somehow install Snow Leopard's Finder?
Old Jun 12, 2011, 05:38 PM   #96
Embio
macrumors member

this is great news!

Would the DP1 Finder not work? or are we all PathFinder users now?
Galaxy Nexus GSM
Embio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:31 AM   #97
Embio
macrumors member

elnegas:

I have followed your instructions with no additions, twice, and get the attached Kernel Panic. Is there perhaps another kext required?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20110613_152852.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	858.8 KB
ID:	289374  
Galaxy Nexus GSM
Embio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:29 PM   #98
Beanoir
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvollant View Post
Hi,
Iíve a Mac Mini1,1, which was shipped with Core Duo, and I had replaced Core Duo by a Core 2 duo
(Snow leopard can uses 64 bits application).

I tried modify or remove the /System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist file, but I still have the compatibility error message at startup
I'm in the same camp, in fact I actually upgraded the processor just last week thinking that it would allow me to use Lion...now I realise that was not quite the case (oops!!)

So I guess at the moment it's wait and see, and if not then lets hope there is a viable workaround.
Macbook Air 11.6" 1.6Ghz i5 / 4Gb / 128Gb
Beanoir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:01 AM   #99
elnegas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embio View Post
elnegas:

I have followed your instructions with no additions, twice, and get the attached Kernel Panic. Is there perhaps another kext required?
Sorry, I tried lots of things to make it bootable, so I forgot that kext. You have to use IOFireWireFamily.kext from DP1 too (the kext that caused the kernel panic).
elnegas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:07 AM   #100
elnegas
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embio View Post
this is great news!

Would the DP1 Finder not work? or are we all PathFinder users now?
It doesn't work, DP1 Finder requires some plugins or frameworks which are different in DP4 Lion, but I haven't tried too much. I think it's not impossible to make it run.
elnegas is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion