Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews

Old Feb 16, 2005, 03:56 AM   #1
heljy
macrumors member

Powerbook Keyboard Protector

I am looking for a site that sells this powerbook keyboard protector that kinda tapes down to the laptop permanently. It is different from the iSkin keyboard protector and feels so much more comfortable when typing. I bought it 1 1/2 year ago from a hk/japanese site, but I cant seem to find that site anymore.

That site also carry screen protectors and 'wrist pad' that reduces the heat from the powerbooks.

Anyone knows the site that I am referring to, or at least where I can get the similar keyboard protector?

Pictures of how the keyboard protector and 'wrist pad' look like are below:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4890.JPG
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4891.JPG

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by heljy; Feb 16, 2005 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Added pictures
heljy is offline   0
Old Feb 16, 2005, 06:32 AM   #2
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
hey cool...sory dunno where to get but ill def get one for my next powerbook
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:38 AM   #3
heljy
macrumors member

I remembered now that the store I bought it from was www.newcolorshop.com, but they are no longer in businness it appears.

For those who are interested, I also found out that the keyboard protector is called 'Pure Wrap Key'.

Here's a link to it: http://store.yahoo.co.jp/micro-solution/0752.html

They have the 'wrist pad' which is called airtack too.
heljy is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:11 AM   #4
heljy
macrumors member

Too bad they (www.micro-solution.com) does not sell to individual users outside of japan. Does anyone know of any store that carry their products and ship to US?

Please post here if you do.

Thanks.
heljy is offline   0
Old Feb 20, 2005, 05:10 AM   #5
dorqiekat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by heljy
I am looking for a site that sells this powerbook keyboard protector that kinda tapes down to the laptop permanently. It is different from the iSkin keyboard protector and feels so much more comfortable when typing. I bought it 1 1/2 year ago from a hk/japanese site, but I cant seem to find that site anymore.

That site also carry screen protectors and 'wrist pad' that reduces the heat from the powerbooks.

Anyone knows the site that I am referring to, or at least where I can get the similar keyboard protector?

Pictures of how the keyboard protector and 'wrist pad' look like are below:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4890.JPG
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~effendy/DSCN4891.JPG

Thanks in advance.
They stick to the powerbook permanently? what if you decided that you don't like them anymore? Will you have a sticky residue left over? What do they actually protect from? Dust? water? wear and tear? Sorry if I sound hostile, just curious.. can't seem to type it out in a more friendly manor. I actually would like to get one if it wont ruin the surface of the pb.
Old Feb 21, 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
heljy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorqiekat
They stick to the powerbook permanently? what if you decided that you don't like them anymore? Will you have a sticky residue left over? What do they actually protect from? Dust? water? wear and tear? Sorry if I sound hostile, just curious.. can't seem to type it out in a more friendly manor. I actually would like to get one if it wont ruin the surface of the pb.
Well, I am not sure if they are reusable (hence I am to buy another one since I want to upgrade my hdd) or if they leave behind any residue. But any if there is any sticky residue left, I am pretty sure you can clean it up easily.

They are actually meant to protect dirt/water from going into the keys. It also helps cleaning easier and prevents key marks from going onto the screen (from grease on ur fingers).

Hope that helps. I actually found one site sellin the keyboard protector (www.macbay.sg) at a reasonable price. I have went ahead and placed an order for 2 (shipping to the US is only < $3). I will post back to answer those issues you have regarding ruining the surface of the PB.
heljy is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:36 PM   #7
Michael8510
macrumors newbie

Here is something similar to the wrist area protection: http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php
Michael8510 is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:49 PM   #8
dotnina
macrumors 6502a

I don't want to persuade you one way or another, but I just wanted to say that I have an iSkin which I use 50% of the time, and I have virtually no greasy finger marks on my keyboard after almost a year of owning my PB. I've also never had greasy finger marks transfer from the keyboard to the screen.

Anyway, I'm not knockin' the permanent keyboard protector you seem to like ... I'm just saying, if you get the product and you're not happy with it, the iSkin is a surprisingly good alternative. Another thing to think about might be whether the clear keyboard cover will yellow over time and make the keys hard to read. My iSkin is clear, and it's turned this cloudy clear color, even with regular cleanings. So sometimes in low light, I have to take it off in order to better see the keys. Just something to consider.
dotnina is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 08:44 PM   #9
heljy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnina
I don't want to persuade you one way or another, but I just wanted to say that I have an iSkin which I use 50% of the time, and I have virtually no greasy finger marks on my keyboard after almost a year of owning my PB. I've also never had greasy finger marks transfer from the keyboard to the screen.

Anyway, I'm not knockin' the permanent keyboard protector you seem to like ... I'm just saying, if you get the product and you're not happy with it, the iSkin is a surprisingly good alternative. Another thing to think about might be whether the clear keyboard cover will yellow over time and make the keys hard to read. My iSkin is clear, and it's turned this cloudy clear color, even with regular cleanings. So sometimes in low light, I have to take it off in order to better see the keys. Just something to consider.
Actually I have used iSkin before, both on a previous iBook and my current pBook. My main complain is that typing on it does not feel as comfortable at least compared to the permanent keyboard protector. I guess there are pros and cons for either one of them. The only thing that is driving me away from iSkin currently is how much less comfortable it is to type on.
heljy is offline   0
Old Feb 24, 2005, 08:44 PM   #10
heljy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael8510
Here is something similar to the wrist area protection: http://www.powersupportusa.com/products/rr.php
Cool, thanks for the heads up on that.
heljy is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Product Recommendations/Reviews