Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stoaty35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Hmmm .. so pretty soon, new macs won't boot into classic.
Well, consider this...

New media industry, heavily Mac based, always has been.

Big part of new media industry = CD ROM dev.
Tool used for 99.9% of CD dev ? Macromedia Director.

Available native in X yet ? Nope.
Any indication it is coming anytime soon ? No. Not even in beta.

"Run it in Classic, run it in classic!".. Nice sentiment, but it runs like a dog in classic mode, near unusable.

Fast forward to Jan 2003, when - I'll bet my house on it - Director will stil be classic only. Lots of new media developers looking to renew their kit - Hmm, shall we buy a Mac which will make our job nigh on impossible to do, or shall I get a cheap PC which lets me use the tools I have been using for years ?

Easy to answer. I love X, but no amount of cool iApps are going to make me fork out thousands of pounds to Apple if I can't do my job.

That sound you hear is the sound of thousands of people deserting the Mac platform.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Originally posted by stoaty35
Hmmm .. so pretty soon, new macs won't boot into classic.
Well, consider this...

New media industry, heavily Mac based, always has been.

Big part of new media industry = CD ROM dev.

Any indication it is coming anytime soon ? No. Not even in beta.

"Run it in Classic, run it in classic!".. Nice sentiment, but it runs like a dog in classic mode, near unusable.

Fast forward to Jan 2003, when - I'll bet my house on it - Director will stil be classic only. Lots of new media developers looking to renew their kit - Hmm, shall we buy a Mac which will make our job nigh on impossible to do, or shall I get a cheap PC which lets me use the tools I have been using for years ?

Easy to answer. I love X, but no amount of cool iApps are going to make me fork out thousands of pounds to Apple if I can't do my job.

That sound you hear is the sound of thousands of people deserting the Mac platform.

Good. Let them leave. you can do 99% of what you do in director in flashMX.

If they don't wanna adapt and grow, they can keep using they're natty old tools.

I'll be here with my mac, happily doing multimedia in Flash and pagelayout in InDesign

stoaty35

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
You clearly have never had to do a major interactive CD.

If you had, you'd know that Flash MX is not up to the job - one video codec anyone ? Yes it's light years better than 5 was, but it still falls way way short.

At the moment I am doing (in Director) a kiosk which among other things - feeds in a live video feed from a video camera, pieces together PDFs on the fly, interacts with a database via SQL, zips and unzips files and copies them on the fly from CD to hard drive, and controls directly a number of other apps.

Look forward to hearing your ideas as to how to do that with Flash MX.

As for 'let them leave', I'm sure Apple can afford to throw away customers right now, especially in one of their strongest markets.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
You clearly have never had to do a major interactive CD.

If you had, you'd know that Flash MX is not up to the job - one video codec anyone ? Yes it's light years better than 5 was, but it still falls way way short.

As for 'let them leave', I'm sure Apple can afford to throw away customers right now, especially in one of their strongest markets.

I;m saying "let them leave" because I realize the irrationality of your post.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Let me ask you this... What will get Director ported faster to OS X ?

1) Supporting OS 9 indefinately
2) Stopping all OS 9 Development

arn

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Originally posted by arn

Let me ask you this... What will get Director ported faster to OS X ?

1) Supporting OS 9 indefinately
2) Stopping all OS 9 Development

arn

Exactly!

And if not, something new will pop up. Always seem to be the Mac way

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I'm using Director through Classic at the moment..... I don't really find it that much of a problem really.... although obviously it'd be much nicer in OSX......

I hope that Macromedia release it soon, and it'd be nice if they figure out away so that the Projectors can take advantage of Altivec...... that'd totally kick ar*e!! :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Originally posted by Moxiemike

Exactly!

And if not, something new will pop up. Always seem to be the Mac way

:eek: :eek: :eek: don't even think it...... my head that is filled with Lingo will become totally useless if that happens....... :eek: :p

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Originally posted by iGAV

:eek: :eek: :eek: don't even think it...... my head that is filled with Lingo will become totally useless if that happens....... :eek: :p

Lingo. Ugh. i remember spending hours learning that stuff.

But there's actionscript in Flash. Same type of deal.

Gav, you'd probably be able to pick up whatever advancements are made with no problem whatsoever.

Oh, and i am running Director 8.5 in classic. No biggie... no speed hit. and that's on the Dual 450

m

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Not booting in Classic = bye bye

Originally posted by Moxiemike

Lingo. Ugh. i remember spending hours learning that stuff.

But there's actionscript in Flash. Same type of deal.

Gav, you'd probably be able to pick up whatever advancements are made with no problem whatsoever.

Oh, and i am running Director 8.5 in classic. No biggie... no speed hit. and that's on the Dual 450

m

Yeah.... I have no real problems with Actionscript either........ but just the thought of having to junk Director (If Macromedia doesn't develop it any further) it'll be a sad, sad day if that happens..... I love using Director... more so than Flash...... and just a little more than LiveMotion......

I just hope that Macromedia really do get a move on....... I heard rumours ages ago of it supporting DVD authoring..... but because Macromedia are staying tight lipped.... I have no idea if this is true.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.