Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Say I just want an alert to go off on the hour throughout the day monday through friday 9am to 5pm for time management purposes. Is there a way to do this without having events all over every single day?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Say I just want an alert to go off on the hour throughout the day monday through friday 9am to 5pm for time management purposes. Is there a way to do this without having events all over every single day?

The easiest way I can think of without having to get anything extra:

You could just set a bunch of alarms in the Clock app, one for each hour.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
There is an app in the app store that you can set to chime on the hour.
I don't recall the name, but I had it for awhile and finally deleted it.

Reactions: ohio.emt

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm willing to get something extra, since I dont want them to be regular alarms because then I have to fuss with them every hour instead of being able to just note that it's been an hour since the last time it notified me.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
Hmm... judging from the reviews, I need a bit more customization to spend money on it. I might want to change it to every half hour and I might want it to be on vibrate even when my phone isnt.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Hmm... judging from the reviews, I need a bit more customization to spend money on it. I might want to change it to every half hour and I might want it to be on vibrate even when my phone isnt.
Just Google it like Aggie did, there are many clock and alarm apps in the app store.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
I really havent had any luck finding anything past the app referenced in this thread. Anyone know of other forums where I might be able to get help with this question?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I really havent had any luck finding anything past the app referenced in this thread. Anyone know of other forums where I might be able to get help with this question?
I can't understand why you are having so much trouble, I found 3 clock apps in iTunes that support multiple alarms in less than 5 minutes.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
I can't understand why you are having so much trouble, I found 3 clock apps in iTunes that support multiple alarms in less than 5 minutes.

you clearly have no idea what hes looking for. He doesnt want to have to take any action every time the alarm goes off, which he would have to do with all those alarms most likely. He wants it to go off with a short one time sound and thats it....kinda like a text message.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
you clearly have no idea what hes looking for.
I "clearly" do have an idea what he is looking for. The chime, that was linked to in post 5, will do exactly that. No interaction needed! I had the app for awhile and deleted it. He said, in the initial post that he wanted an hourly alarm, and that app will do that.

Simm0nS777

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Northeast Ohio
I "clearly" do have an idea what he is looking for. The chime, that was linked to in post 5, will do exactly that. No interaction needed! I had the app for awhile and deleted it. He said, in the initial post that he wanted an hourly alarm, and that app will do that.

right but the other 3 you found in under 5 minutes most likely do not.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
right but the other 3 you found in under 5 minutes most likely do not.
How could you possibly know that, all three chime on the hour and one of them can be set to chime on the quarter hour, all without any interaction.

Here is one more example.

In today's digital world it's nice to slow down and remind ourselves of a different time. If you are like a lot of people, you've replaced your watch with the clock on your cell phone. Well, now that cell phone can be just as beautiful as the watch. In fact, in can be much more grand. With Clock, your iPhone or iPod Touch becomes a beautiful and fully functional wall clock, complete with grandfather clock chimes. But these aren't your Grandfather's westminster chimes, oh no. Clock's chimes can take on seven different sounds. Just start the app and pop the phone into your pocket; every 15 minutes the chimes will ring out just like that old grandfather clock at your parent's house. Or, if you prefer, adjust the chimes to ring on the half hour or hour. And at the top of every hour, just like pop's clock, the chimes will count out the hour for you.

But that's not all. At night, pop the iPhone into a speaker dock and be lulled to sleep by the tick-tock of the clock. Clock accurately recreates the sound of a swinging pendulum in a large grandfather clock. The sound of the ticking, and the chimes for that matter, is fully adjustable. Turn it off during the day, turn it up at night, or any combination of the two. And unlike at least one other grandfather clock app in the app store, Clock keeps on "ticking" even when your phone's screen dims.

Ravich

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Portland, OR
What is it about that app description that makes you think that it a) has a vibrate option, and b) runs in the background?

I'm not sure why you're bothering to post if you're going to go out of your way not to be helpful.

Jenavive

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2010
app - Alarmed ~ Reminders

I found your question while searching for a similar solution. I think I found an app that may be the answer for you as well.

In the iPhone app store, search for alarmed ~ reminders. It is free. I think it was released in Apr 2011.

It runs in the background. I'm not sure what other criteria you had besides customization so if I'm missing something, my apologies. I read this thread on my iPhone and it was a little tricky to follow all replies.

Hope this helps!

oliviairis

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Aida Reminder

I ended up using Aida Reminder Lite. It's not very attractive but it gets the job done. I set it up to alert me every hour on the half hour (8:30, 9:30, 10:30, etc.). It has the option to give you a 5 minute advance warning ("pre-alert") and you can also have the alert repeat every minute ("post-alert") until you dismiss it. It would be nice if this increment could be more like 5 minutes but the only options are 1 minute or one hour. In order to dismiss the alarm you need to open the app. I'm fairly satisfied with the functionality.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can't you just do that with the default (Apple) Reminds app at this point?

oliviairis

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Can't you just do that with the default (Apple) Reminds app at this point?

Apple reminders can only repeat daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or yearly. If you want hourly reminders on a daily basis you would need to set a seperate reminder for each hour of the day...quite a pain unfortunately.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple reminders can only repeat daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or yearly. If you want hourly reminders on a daily basis you would need to set a seperate reminder for each hour of the day...quite a pain unfortunately.
You can set different intervals if you create a reminder via Siri and say something different (like every 4 weeks, or every hour). I haven't checked it for "every hour" personally, but I have set it for various other repeat intervals that aren't available in the Reminders app UI itself.

oliviairis

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
You can set different intervals if you create a reminder via Siri and say something different (like every 4 weeks, or every hour). I haven't checked it for "every hour" personally, but I have set it for various other repeat intervals that aren't available in the Reminders app UI itself.

Siri's functionality is limited by that of the applications she has access to. If you ask Siri to remind you to do something hourly she says "I can't remind you that frequently. My apologies."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.