Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will eth

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I am hopefully buying a macbook pro 13 inch next week and I am having second thoughts. When macs are refreshed are they improved later on during their life cycle? Are the "first batch" up to standards, or are they usually full of problems? I am definately getting one during this cycle, should i get it now??
Thanks very much:D

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I am hopefully buying a macbook pro 13 inch next week and I am having second thoughts. When macs are refreshed are they improved later on during their life cycle? Are the "first batch" up to standards, or are they usually full of problems? I am definately getting one during this cycle, should i get it now??

If a problem arises, its not based on production weeks, and instead is generally fixed in the next revision, however the current MacBook Pros seem incredibly stable, so Id get one - Ive had plenty of first gen apple products over the years, including buying models the day theyve been refreshed - and no major horror stories yet :)

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
Time to buy is now. Don't expect another refresh 'til next year. Next update will most likely involve a major redesign. Who knows...

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal

I have done well by both being an early adopter (Power Mac Dual and blueberry iBook) and also with getting Macs later.

Later Macs are better since kinks are worked out.

Power Mac had noise issues worked out in next generation, and iBook shortly came up with more RAM and hard drive space (same price) months later. I didn't freak out since what I got was pretty good, but second gen. bumps always make the product better, faster, larger RAM capacity/hard drive space.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
This morning my wife saw a news store on the iPad 2. Can you believe she said I should have waited until now to get mine instead of buying it the day it came out. Yeah right. I would have been using a gimpy Acer Aspire One netbook for a whole year just to avoid the risks of buying new Apple gear only to see it upgraded "soon thereafter".

The upgrade cycle for Apple gear runs about 12 months. If you buy at the beginning and something goes wrong, they are very good about fixing it. If you buy at the end of the cycle and new hotness comes out the following week, you might have to pay restocking but once again you are not stuck. The best way to figure out when to purchase Apple gear is to look at the Macrumors Buyer's Guide before you buy. There is some slight risk that new gear brings bugs and problems but Apple has an excellent reputation for customer service for a reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.