Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:06 PM   #1
will eth
macrumors member

Should I buy Macbook Pro now???

I am hopefully buying a macbook pro 13 inch next week and I am having second thoughts. When macs are refreshed are they improved later on during their life cycle? Are the "first batch" up to standards, or are they usually full of problems? I am definately getting one during this cycle, should i get it now??
Thanks very much
will eth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:12 PM   #2
chrismacguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by will eth View Post
I am hopefully buying a macbook pro 13 inch next week and I am having second thoughts. When macs are refreshed are they improved later on during their life cycle? Are the "first batch" up to standards, or are they usually full of problems? I am definately getting one during this cycle, should i get it now??
Thanks very much
If a problem arises, its not based on production weeks, and instead is generally fixed in the next revision, however the current MacBook Pros seem incredibly stable, so Id get one - Ive had plenty of first gen apple products over the years, including buying models the day theyve been refreshed - and no major horror stories yet
chrismacguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:31 PM   #3
iPhone1
macrumors Demi-God

Time to buy is now. Don't expect another refresh 'til next year. Next update will most likely involve a major redesign. Who knows...
iPhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:34 PM   #4
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by will eth View Post
Thanks very much
I have done well by both being an early adopter (Power Mac Dual and blueberry iBook) and also with getting Macs later.

Later Macs are better since kinks are worked out.

Power Mac had noise issues worked out in next generation, and iBook shortly came up with more RAM and hard drive space (same price) months later. I didn't freak out since what I got was pretty good, but second gen. bumps always make the product better, faster, larger RAM capacity/hard drive space.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 PM   #5
r0k
macrumors 68040

This morning my wife saw a news store on the iPad 2. Can you believe she said I should have waited until now to get mine instead of buying it the day it came out. Yeah right. I would have been using a gimpy Acer Aspire One netbook for a whole year just to avoid the risks of buying new Apple gear only to see it upgraded "soon thereafter".

The upgrade cycle for Apple gear runs about 12 months. If you buy at the beginning and something goes wrong, they are very good about fixing it. If you buy at the end of the cycle and new hotness comes out the following week, you might have to pay restocking but once again you are not stuck. The best way to figure out when to purchase Apple gear is to look at the Macrumors Buyer's Guide before you buy. There is some slight risk that new gear brings bugs and problems but Apple has an excellent reputation for customer service for a reason.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice