Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

142235-apple_a5_promo.jpg

While Apple yesterday touted its new A5 system-on-a-chip with a 1 GHz dual-core processor in the forthcoming iPad 2, the company declined to report how much RAM is included in the package. The original iPad offers the same 256 MB of RAM that was found in the iPhone 3GS, but that standard has since been surpassed by the iPhone 4 and its 512 MB of RAM.

Gizmodo yesterday sparked fears in some users when it reported that an Apple representative had initially revealed at an iPad 2 hands-on event in London that the device carries the same 256 MB of RAM found in the first-generation models. According to the report, a senior public relations representative from Apple quickly backtracked from that claim, however, and noted that the company could not confirm how much RAM is included in the iPad 2.

That claim has been further disputed by Kakeun Lee, a semiconductor analyst with Korean firm Hana Daetoo Securities, who yesterday issued a Tweet [Google translation] claiming that the iPad 2 does in fact match the iPhone 4 with 512 MB of RAM. Lee further claimed [Google translation] that the iPad 2 will utilize LPDDR2 RAM, and improvement over the LPDDR1 RAM found in the original iPad. It is unclear on what sources Lee is basing his claims, but his area of focus is in mobile DRAM companies such as Samsung and Hynix that deliver chips for Apple's iOS devices.

Apple has long shied away from issuing public statements on RAM included in its iOS devices, preferring to focus on the user experience, and Apple made no exception in its iPad 2 introduction by promoting the machine has being twice as fast and offering up to nine times better graphics performance than its predecessor.

Article Link: iPad 2 to Match iPhone 4's 512 MB of RAM?

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
It's OBVIOUS to the user Experience

What part of

"Twice as Fast"

and

"Nine times better graphics performance"

is 99.9999% of the End-User market for the iPad2, NOT GETTING??? :confused:

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
My assumption was the the iPad 2 had at least as much RAM as the iPhone 4, because the new iOS iMovie will run on an iPhone 4 or iPad 2, but not on an original iPad. I suppose it might require the better graphics of the iPad 2 instead, but I had just assumed it was because the new iPad had more RAM. Guess we will know when they ship and someone tears one down.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Apple said how much ram was in the 3GS and 4. Why? Because it was more.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Would be funny if iFixit finds that it includes 1GB of RAM, but that's unlikely.

Orange™

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
SHAMEFUL it is not 1GB

Is Apple wanting Android Tablets to roll over them? In 1 year, 1GB and 2GB will be STANDARD. :mad:

Every time I see your posts, it's a criticism of Apple. Care to tell us why you spend so much time on a website when all you do is criticize the company this website is based on? There's a term for users like that, I won't say it though as we all know what that term is.

Also, why are you so angry all of the time, it's just a product made by Apple(that will outsell all the others like crazy), who cares how much ram it has, if it works superbly. I guess I would complain too if I wanted to have 36 tabs open just so I could have something to bitch about. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fly Rodder

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
My assumption was the the iPad 2 had at least as much RAM as the iPhone 4, because new iOS iMovie will run on an iPhone 4 or iPad 2, but not on an original iPad. I suppose it might require the better graphics of the iPad 2 instead, but I had just assumed it was because the new iPad had more RAM. Guess we will known when they ship and someone tears one down.
Talk is that iMovie will run on the iPad1, the original iPad just can't provide the video.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Android tablets will do no such thing. They'll be lucky to have a third of the market in two years.

Android already has 20+ percent of the market without their real os on them.
Apple have hidden the memory because its lower than the 1GB the new Android tablets have. Then did the same thing not announcing the iphone 4 cpu speed because there were faster android ones.

Does the ipad 2 have a new ios version with a multicore scheduler?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

IndyGopher said:
My assumption was the the iPad 2 had at least as much RAM as the iPhone 4, because the new iOS iMovie will run on an iPhone 4 or iPad 2, but not on an original iPad. I suppose it might require the better graphics of the iPad 2 instead, but I had just assumed it was because the new iPad had more RAM. Guess we will know when they ship and someone tears one down.

iMovie works on the iPod touch, which has 256 MB Ram.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
SHAMEFUL it is not 1GB

Is Apple wanting Android Tablets to roll over them? In 1 year, 1GB and 2GB will be STANDARD. :mad:

LOL! You always act like it's the freaking hardware specs that make the difference in what people buy.

Guess what... most consumers don't care! They just pick it up, play with it and if they love it, buy it.

bnerd

macrumors regular
May 21, 2009
People keep talking about how Android tablets have 1gb RAM..... well DUH, the Android OS is a memory hog. If you own and android, go into your settings and you'll see just how much memory Android takes up.

iOS and its apps are very memory efficient so 1gb of RAM is not needed. Besides... thats how the iPad's price point pretty much beats everyone else's.

chequepoint

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
Sort of annoyed by these A4, A5 processors.. too much like the G3, G4, G5 ********. Love apple, hate their imaginary technology "retina display" "super drive" "face time" bull.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
What part of

"Twice as Fast"

and

"Nine times better graphics performance"

is 99.9999% of the End-User market for the iPad2, NOT GETTING??? :confused:
It's proof positive that Apples learned from the past that they can expertly apply the art of manipulation of numbers, reports, the press, and sooner or later people will stop seeking the truth. Thus when reported from any source, the fanboys jump on them, discredit them, and the issue is successfully covered up. It's part of Apples long term dumbing down so no one asks or cares. Simple & effective.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Android already has 20+ percent of the market without their real os on them.
Apple have hidden the memory because its lower than the 1GB the new Android tablets have. Then did the same thing not announcing the iphone 4 cpu speed because there were faster android ones.

Does the ipad 2 have a new ios version with a multicore scheduler?

20%??? Prove it. Show us the facts.

There were 2 Million Tabs sold to channel with and estimated less than 800K sold. That's 5%... maybe... so where did the other's all come from? The Xoom just shipped a week ago.

afferennen

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Oh Gizmodo

I think gizmodo is just trying to strike fear in Apple customers because of what happened to them. The only reason we knew about the RAM in iPhone 4 was because of the prototype. Apple NEVER posts how much RAM is in their iPod touch, iPhone, or iPads. You have to run an app to determine that.

Apple probably didn't say anything because they never have before, why should they now?

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I keep running out of RAM on my iPad1. I wish the iPad2 had 2GB of ram... I mean when I'm rendering in MAYA while processing a movie in Final Cut, while doing some fractal work in Mathmatica, I mean the iPad just slows to a halt....

/s

It's a iPad. I check mail, surf the web, and play basic apps. Who cares how much memory it has as long as it works?

quizdogg

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Come on...

SHAMEFUL it is not 1GB

You have to know that 98% of all people who buy iPads, could care less about the ram, or the A5 chip for that matter. :eek:

Like it or not, these android tablets, with their multiple gigs of ram, will get spanked by the iPad 2.

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The proliferation of new members bashing Apple makes me wonder if there is some boiler room action going on here. :confused:

JohnG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.