Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
Hi,
Thinking about buying an audio book from iTunes store. How do I convert time of play to megs of space that it would take up on my iPod??? Is there any guide??
Thanks,

Frank

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
fjs08 said:
Hi,
Thinking about buying an audio book from iTunes store. How do I convert time of play to megs of space that it would take up on my iPod??? Is there any guide??
Thanks,

Frank

they come in 128kbps AAC i believe.. if that's the case then convert play time to seconds.. then multiply by 128 so.. (time in seconds) * 128 = (size of file in kilobytes). to get megabytes divide that (size of file in kilobytes) by 1024 and you'll get megabytes

128 * time in seconds = Size
Size / 1024 = Size in Megabytes

if the bitrate is different than 128 then just swap 128 with that other number

btw.. i use Audible instead of iTMS.. $15/mo gets you 1 audio book + 1 subscription per month of a periodical, magazine or radio show.

you don't HAVE to subscribe and get that.. but check audible as well. the iPod plays their files perfectly. and they have 4 different quality version of the audiobook.. so you can get the lower quality if you want to save space but sacrifice sound quality. typical audiobook that is 8 hours long is around 120 megabytes or so

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I thought the audio books were 96kps or something a little less. Maybe we should find someone that has a book. Anyone buy a book lately?

EDIT: http://www.apple.com/itunes/store/books/
On the audio books part of the itunes website, it say in the middle of the page, "The iTunes Music Store lets you download and listen to 90-second previews — high-quality 32 Kbps AAC files that have been optimized for spoken word content — as many times as you like." So I could be 32 Kbps and not 128.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>they come in 128kbps AAC<<

So if that's the largest size/second and if a book is say 5 hours long, we are looking at something like 2.2 GB. I guess that's correct. So if I have a 15 gig iPod, I should be ok. I guess<g>.

Frank

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
fjs08 said:
>>they come in 128kbps AAC<<

So if that's the largest size/second and if a book is say 5 hours long, we are looking at something like 2.2 GB. I guess that's correct. So if I have a 15 gig iPod, I should be ok. I guess<g>.

Frank

I have an audio book from Apple with a run time of 1 hour 18 minutes. It takes up 18 megs of space and iTunes says the sample rate is 24 khz which is almost half the rate of the normal 44.1 khz of music downloaded thru iTMS. So, I don't think your book is going to take up nearly as much space as what you thing it will.

fjs08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 25, 2003
>>I don't think your book is going to take up nearly as much space as what you thing it will.<,

Guess all I have to worry about is my iPod battery :) !!
Can they be burned to cd's too???? Like a "regular" song from iTunes?? I can take it along in my car.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
fjs08 said:
>>I don't think your book is going to take up nearly as much space as what you thing it will.<,

Guess all I have to worry about is my iPod battery :) !!
Can they be burned to cd's too???? Like a "regular" song from iTunes?? I can take it along in my car.

Thanks for all the help.

Frank

like i said check into audible.. from what i've seen apple gets their books FROM audible..

http://www.audible.com/formats

List of Audiobooks i Recommend

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams Narrated by Douglas Adams
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel
The Narrows by Michael Connelly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.