Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:20 PM   #1
avpmusik
macrumors member

can i use 'airplay' with Netflix and AirVideo from my ipad to tv?

So i'm a little confused about how airplay works.

i know you must have an apple tv for it to work.
and that some apps on the ipad you can use 'airplay' to watch content from your ipad to your apple tv..

well does anybody know if netflix app on the ipad has the airplay function so i can use my ipad to watch netflix instead of buying a ps3, xbox 360, roku ect?

also, is it possible to stream movies from my computer (AVI, MKV, DIVX ect) using the ipad and airplay? or is this not possible? i know that with air video i can watch movies from my mac on my ipad.. but if i were to stream movies from my ipad to tv using air video.. can i use airplay? or is my only option is to buy and use the hdmi cable that allows mirroring with the new ipad.

also.. with the HDMI cable that does mirroring.. does anybody know or read if audio will pass thru the hdmi cable as well?
avpmusik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:25 PM   #2
neko girl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by avpmusik View Post
well does anybody know if netflix app on the ipad has the airplay function so i can use my ipad to watch netflix instead of buying a ps3, xbox 360, roku ect?
Well, if you realize that an ATV is required as an Airplay endpoint, then you must know that ATV already has Netflix integrated?

Quote:
also, is it possible to stream movies from my computer (AVI, MKV, DIVX ect) using the ipad and airplay? or is this not possible?
Huge restriction here. Only iPad compatible movies. I'm not sure the VLC app allows Airplay. If you jailbroke your ATV and installed XBMC you would not have this restriction.

I am not sure about XBMC on iPad and it's Airplay capabilities. Installation instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...on_iPhone/iPad
(requires jailbreak)
Old Mar 3, 2011, 11:30 PM   #3
avpmusik
macrumors member

totally forgot about netflix on apple tv...
avpmusik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Gabe.ayers
macrumors newbie

There is an app for that

It is true that Netflix does not support AirPlay video but in regards to your other request, there is a very nice app called Air Video for $3, with a free trial version. You also need to install a free "server" on your computer that will source the files to the iPad. Air Video is capable of airplay to the apple tv and I have it setup with apple tv running the newest released OS and an iPad 2 running 4.3, no reason why it wouldn't work for iPad 1.

Link to their website:

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html
Gabe.ayers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5
iPimpin
macrumors newbie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe.ayers View Post
It is true that Netflix does not support AirPlay video but in regards to your other request, there is a very nice app called Air Video for $3, with a free trial version. You also need to install a free "server" on your computer that will source the files to the iPad. Air Video is capable of airplay to the apple tv and I have it setup with apple tv running the newest released OS and an iPad 2 running 4.3, no reason why it wouldn't work for iPad 1.

Link to their website:

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html
I just want to hold my iPad and watch a movie and stream sound to larger speakers
iPimpin is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad