Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with Microsoft Office 2011 for the Mac, after just changing over from Pages:

The cursor in MS Word is white, meaning it's impossible to see against the backdrop of a white document when the mouse is not directly over black text. And even when the mouse is over text, I can only see the part of the cursor that's over the black text, and the rest of the white cursor blends in with the white background. Making it frustratingly impossible to know see my cursor.

I'm thinking, surely Microsoft couldn't have been so obtuse as to make their cursor white. So how do I change this setting within MS Word? Note that the rest of my system is perfectly fine. This issue only occurs in MS Word (haven't tried Excel or Powerpoint yet) and no other software on my system. So it's not a system problem, it's some kind of MS Word setting or bug.

Thanks!

MacbookSwitcher

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I've found a clue as to the problem:

It does not happen when I am using the screen on the Macbook Pro itself, but it does happen when I have the Macbook Pro connected to my 24" monitor.

Any clues? A Microsoft QA testing oversight perhaps. Maybe their test cases did not include running with an external monitor.

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
Office 2011 comes with a 90 day (or is it 60 day?) warrantee with tech support. Perhaps a call to MS is in your future.

Should a call to MS yield a solution, please post the secret of success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.