Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Hi everyone,

Just wondering, I own an 8GB iPod Touch (purchased November '09), I specifically bought it because it was the 3rd Generation version, however obviously now I know that the 8GB wasn't actually updated!

My question is, the iOS 4.3 specs say 3rd Generation iPod Touches are still supported... so, do I have any chance that I can still upgrade to 4.3? (Perhaps Apple will allow the silent downgrade 3rd gens to upgrade?)

If I can't upgrade I think this may be a case for the trade descriptions act in the United Kingdom. Since, how can you sell a "3rd Generation iPod Touch" that is secretly a "2nd Generation iPod Touch"? And then refuse to allow updates that are specifically for the "3rd Generation iPod Touch".

Also, if I can't upgrade, can I still use my iPod Touch for testing iOS apps using the SDK?

Alex.

Last edited:

earth.razer

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
There's no such thing as a 3rd generation 8gb. Yours is a 2nd generation MC iPod touch. So, obviously it will not support 4.3.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Yeah the 3rd gen 8GB has 128mb ram and is identical in every way to 2nd gen. It's quite sad that they did this as it just causes a lot of confusion IMO.

Only 32/64 3rd gen are real 3rd gen.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Hey, ok...

This sucks, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it, unless I sell the iTouch. :rolleyes:

Final question, can I still use the iTouch for testing using the SDK? (I was just about to start learning iOS development - this summer when I finally get an Intel Macbook Pro!)

AppleScrewedMe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
F***apple

Really? I payed another 211.09$ For the SAME DAMN THING?!@?!?!?! Screw Apple. Zune, HERE I COME!!

Looks like Microsoft has itself a new customer. Have fun Fanboys....

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah the 3rd gen 8GB has 128mb ram and is identical in every way to 2nd gen. It's quite sad that they did this as it just causes a lot of confusion IMO.

Only 32/64 3rd gen are real 3rd gen.

There's no confusion. There is no 3rd Gen 8GB iPod touch. It's identical because it IS a 2G iPod touch.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Hey, ok...

This sucks, but I guess there's nothing I can do about it, unless I sell the iTouch. :rolleyes:

Final question, can I still use the iTouch for testing using the SDK? (I was just about to start learning iOS development - this summer when I finally get an Intel Macbook Pro!)

You can still use it but it would be best to get the most recent model instead of an old model with software that won't be updated anymore.

1G and 2G iPod touches are now finished in terms of software development. The 3G will probably have some limited support for iOS 5. Grab a 4G or use the simulator until the 5G version comes out in ~September.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Really? I payed another 211.09$ For the SAME DAMN THING?!@?!?!?! Screw Apple. Zune, HERE I COME!!

Looks like Microsoft has itself a new customer. Have fun Fanboys....

You know MS is ending the Zune, right? The 8GB was never advertised as new when the 3rd gen came out, people just assumed it was.

sandos

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
2g 8gb was sold as 3g

I bought a 3g 8mb - I have the box to show it. Apple seem to have covered their tracks, so that their current specs don't refer to a 3g 8mb. My guess is that the marketing and products were different in different countries. Shame on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.