Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
"The battle for smartphone market share isn't just a battle for market share. It's a battle of demographics and the opportunity to build a loyal customer base for the future. Android appears to be pulling ahead in this contest in the U.S., while Apple is following closely behind and rivals such as Hewlett-Packard, with WebOS, and Microsoft, have a decidedly older mix of users.

According to survey results from Nielsen, 14% of all smartphone users between the ages of 18 and 34 are using an Android phone, while this age group posted a 12% share for the iPhone, 11% for BlackBerrys, 3% for Palm OS, and 2% for Windows Mobile. The three leading platforms -- Android, iOS, and BlackBerry -- now claim 37% of the user group that largely defines the trends in the smartphone arena.

Android appears to be growing in this space and seems to have found the key to attract a substantial share in this demographic segment. Compared with iOS, Android has greater market share in younger demographics while falling behind in the age groups above 55."

http://is.gd/3PVWW8

crovian

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
This is probably true but keep in mind that Apple has had only 4 iphones so far.

Android has probably had 4 new phones since January of 2011.

I'm actually surprised Android-iOS market share is not like 10-1, I say Apple is doing very very well for a company taht has a fraction of models opposed to android.

eddiec312

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Miami, FL
I have an Iphone 4 but I love Android also.

All I can say is that when companies compete the consumer benefits. One company will always be trying to "one up" the other one.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
As a long time Apple enthusiast, user, and shareholder, I like to keep up on what's happening in the tech sector. Especially when it comes to competition, I'm interested.

If this is too much for your sensitive emotional nature, perhaps you should not read forums, news, or anything else that brings you down and provokes your unfounded anger.

Juvenile name calling, like using the word troll, reflects your lack of control. It reveals who you are.

I wish you good luck with your problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
As a long time Apple enthusiast, user, and shareholder, I like to keep up on what's happening in the tech sector. Especially when it comes to competition, I'm interested.

If this is too much for your sensitive emotional nature, perhaps you should not read forums, news, or anything else that brings you down and provokes your unfounded anger.

Juvenile name calling, like using the word troll, reflects your lack of control. It reveals who you are.

Well, you should have expected that, coming into an iPhone forum. That said, Android is on everything from the best smartphones, to my toaster. It's hardly a valid comparison.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007

Well, based upon all of your previous posts, and join date, it is easy to see why some question your motives, including your questionable statement "As a long time Apple enthusiast, user, and shareholder..."

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

You mention building a loyal customer base, and attribute that to Android. That is completely untrue, as I don't believe that you could best apple in customer loyalty. Moreover, the relatively expensive cost of the iPhone compared with the relatively low prices of most android phones is what is giving android it's clear advantage. To declare anything in this sector as "over" or "won" is foolhardy, as the user base for smartphones will only continue to grow and no one can possibly foresee the future.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2011
Oh my, there's a proliferation of angry judgmental people responding today.

Everyone thinks they know it all.

There is a lot of fear of Android present. Not surprising, yet quite revealing.

If properly educated, one would notice I did _not_ write the post, as one responder claimed, but merely inserted quotes around an article of interest. Thus I simply shared what _another_ person wrote.

Then a link was provided to the source. Apparently some peoples lack of self control, allowed their anger to prevail, thereby missing the obvious.

Cheers to all :)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Oh my, there's a proliferation of angry judgmental people responding today.

Everyone thinks they know it all.

There is a lot of fear of Android present. Not surprising, yet quite revealing.

If properly educated, one would notice I did _not_ write the post, as one responder claimed, but merely inserted quotes around an article of interest. Thus I simply shared what _another_ person wrote.

Then a link was provided to the source. Apparently some peoples lack of self control, allowed their anger to prevail, thereby missing the obvious.

Cheers to all :)

You find that a lot on any message forum you go to. Whether it be Apple or Android based forum. You have fan boys and girls on every single computer/phone/planting forum not just this one.

I think a lot of people seem to forget that but love to call out the Apple folks.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
OP, if you like Android so much please go to an Android forum, you will find many more supporters there. From my standpoint, and I develop for both iOS and Android Android is no way shape or form the future. The reason its numbers are so high is because its given away free on many handsets.

Android is extremely fragmented, many versions of the OS that have been reskinned and messed with by the OEM's across 80+ pieces of hardware. Android is also a slow OS, even on the fastest hardware. If you don't believe me then develop a game for both iOS and Android like I have and watch your performance plummet on the Android version. Androids app store is often riddled with malware as well. If this is your idea for the future of software then I hope you keep it because I want no part of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

bengal1022

macrumors newbie
"The battle for smartphone market share isn't just a battle for market share. It's a battle of demographics and the opportunity to build a loyal customer base for the future. Android appears to be pulling ahead in this contest in the U.S., while Apple is following closely behind and rivals such as Hewlett-Packard, with WebOS, and Microsoft, have a decidedly older mix of users.

According to survey results from Nielsen, 14% of all smartphone users between the ages of 18 and 34 are using an Android phone, while this age group posted a 12% share for the iPhone, 11% for BlackBerrys, 3% for Palm OS, and 2% for Windows Mobile. The three leading platforms -- Android, iOS, and BlackBerry -- now claim 37% of the user group that largely defines the trends in the smartphone arena.

Android appears to be growing in this space and seems to have found the key to attract a substantial share in this demographic segment. Compared with iOS, Android has greater market share in younger demographics while falling behind in the age groups above 55."

http://is.gd/3PVWW8

Here are a few things to consider:

Apple has only had 4 phones thus far, and just recently picked up Verizon as a carrier.

Apple's very smooth iOS is only available for apple devices, whereas the Droid OS is available on nu Droid phones, and available through all the major carriers.

Some Droid phones are available for under $40 bucks with some carriers. The cheapest iPhone at release was $199 when they offered an 8G.

That said, being only 1% behind Droid says more about apple, and less about Droid. If you ask me we are comparing Apples to Oranges (no pun intended). What the study is truly comparing are the operating systems.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Well I agree with the OP. Android will come out top dog in the mobile war. I think at best, the iPhone can maybe get 3rd place.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I've used Android devices, and I don't like them. They're slick, sure, but I feel they aren't as intuitive as iOS, hence why I chose an iPhone over an Android Whatsitcalled. I like also that it is uniform and seamless with iTunes.

Android being on so many devices was bound to hurt usage for the iPhone, but there are other equally important things than simply how many people use a device: The quality of the interface, and the software that powers it for syncing with a computer are also key virtues.

The Android interface can change, at times drastically in look and feel, from one device to the next. And while there are Android devices everywhere, you have 50 million different versions powering them all, and never know if the latest version of Android, whether it's Gingerbread or Hamburger or whatever, will work just as seamlessly on your device. With my iPhone, if there is a software update, I go to Apple, download it, and it works - and I'm back to seamlessly using my device. This is why I prefer a closed system. The user experience form start to finish is always vastly superior.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
In other words, Android is the new Windows (malware and all.)

Not good.

Android has the most unit share. Unfortunately, the money is in iOS devices, and there is still no single iPhone-Killer, largely because the competition doesn't know how make one. They can't duplicate the synergy between software and hardware that Apple achieves. Further, the best-selling handset is still the iPhone. The best ecosystem to develop for is hands-down iOS.

There's just a lot of Android devices and a lot of them are cheap (and crap), like ZTE, etc.

Those who are serious about software use their own hardware.

Anyone can whore out their OS to anyone else that can slam together a box, flood the market, and then claim greater market share.

Let's see Google and their partners create a *single* phone on the level of quality and User Experience of the iPhone. Not going to happen because they can't do it. Their philosophy and business model is the polar opposite of everything that makes for a great User Experience. Eric Schmidt might have taken some detailed notes at Apple's board meetings, but Google learned from Microsoft's playbook, not Apple's. Too bad. But then you need someone to make cheap commodity-ware and someone to make the good stuff that drives the market forward.

Google biggest problem is their universal licensing and their whole "free and open" policy. No control = lousy User Experience.

So they just keep flooding the market with glorified ad-viewing machines that don't really get updates. But they're touchscreen, and a lot of them are cheap. ;)

Last edited:

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
....and never know if the latest version of Android, whether it's Gingerbread or Hamburger or whatever, will work just as seamlessly on your device. With my iPhone, if there is a software update, I go to Apple, download it, and it works - and I'm back to seamlessly using my device. This is why I prefer a closed system. The user experience form start to finish is always vastly superior.
So when iOS 4.3 comes out, my girlfriend, who uses my old iPhone 3G, will just be able to install that and be current with all other iPhones? That is great news. She'll be happy to hear that.

I've moved on from iOS, myself. I now have a Samsung Captivate, and it has been excellent. The Galaxy S phones are great devices, and the new GS2 version looks even better. It was a great phone when I got it, but now, with CM7 and Gingerbread on it, it runs even better AND has excellent battery life as well.

Apple makes a decent phone, and iOS is pretty good. I won't argue that point. But, so does Samsung, and Android is very nice these days. I'm glad I switched. It has been a great move for me. I think many people would find similar results if they gave it a chance.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
In other words, Android is the new Windows (malware and all.)
slowclap.gif

Not good.
why not?

Android has the most unit share. Unfortunately, the money is in iOS devices, and there is still no single iPhone-Killer, largely because the competition doesn't know how make one. They can't duplicate the synergy between software and hardware that Apple achieves. Further, the best-selling handset is still the iPhone. The best ecosystem to develop for is hands-down iOS.
Opinion based.

There's just a lot of Android devices and a lot of them are cheap (and crap), like ZTE, etc.
whereas the crap bit is opinion based again, the rest is just stating the obvious. Obviously the consumer digs it unlike you previously have predicted.

Those who are serious about software use their own hardware.
Guess I oughta be using my own hardware for the app I'm making then. :rolleyes:

Anyone can whore out their OS to anyone else that can slam together a box, flood the market, and then claim greater market share.
Apeal to consumers and get bigger Market share you mean? As for the top bit, utter rubbish. Apple are taking a backseat by only using their own hardware. But hey, that's what they've always done and I see no problems with they way apple or google do it. But making an OS work on a wide range of hardware is certainly easier than locking it down to specific hardware.

Let's see Google and their partners create a *single* phone. on the level of quality and User Experience of the iPhone. Not going to happen because they can't do it. Their philosophy and business model is the polar opposite of everything that makes for a great User Experience. Eric Schmidt might have taken some detailed notes at Apple's board meetings, but Google learned from Microsoft's playbook, not Apple's. Too bad. But then you need someone to make cheap commodity-ware and someone to make the good stuff that drives the market forward.
You're butthurt their phones are cheaper now? What?

Google biggest problem is their universal licensing and their whole "free and open" policy. No control = lousy User Experience.
opinion based again. And their lousy user experience as you call it is gaining Market share.

So they just keep flooding the market with glorified ad-viewing machines that don't really get updates. But they're touchscreen, and a lot of them are cheap. ;)

All in all *LTD*, you have changed your tune dramatically from around six months ago, when you were bragging that Apples business model, iOS, quality of the iPhone, regulated apps etc were attracting customers and that Apple would be top dog in the mobile world any day now. And yet, since then, the iPhone has dropped two places in Market share and Android based devices are rising.

Now you're essentially just bad mouthing google for, so far, giving Apple a damn good run for their money.

Let me put this as honestly as possible. Apple is not the be all and end all. And Apple appear not to be selling iPhones as well as you were bragging they would a while back. They aren't failing, lots of people dig them; but for the average customer who wants nothing more but a touchscreen, Facebook, bit o YouTube and a calling and text machine, why spend £600+ on an iPhone when you can spend £200 or less on a device perfectly capable of what the iPhone does. Especially since Apple only appear to be supporting their models of phone for around 2 or 3 years before moving on.

Stop bad mouthing Google for essentially being chapter than Apple. You blame Microsofts OS Market share over Apples on dirty tactics, the lack of SJobs and allsorts of stuff. Best get thinking of an excuse, because you're predictions six months ago ain't coming true.

Written painstakingly and slowly on my iPhone.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
slowclap.gif

why not?

Opinion based.

whereas the crap bit is opinion based again, the rest is just stating the obvious. Obviously the consumer digs it unlike you previously have predicted.

Guess I oughta be using my own hardware for the app I'm making then. :rolleyes:

Apeal to consumers and get bigger Market share you mean? As for the top bit, utter rubbish. Apple are taking a backseat by only using their own hardware. But hey, that's what they've always done and I see no problems with they way apple or google do it. But making an OS work on a wide range of hardware is certainly easier than locking it down to specific hardware.

You're butthurt their phones are cheaper now? What?

opinion based again. And their lousy user experience as you call it is gaining Market share.

All in all *LTD*, you have changed your tune dramatically from around six months ago, when you were bragging that Apples business model, iOS, quality of the iPhone, regulated apps etc were attracting customers and that Apple would be top dog in the mobile world any day now. And yet, since then, the iPhone has dropped two places in Market share and Android based devices are rising.

Now you're essentially just bad mouthing google for, so far, giving Apple a damn good run for their money.

Let me put this as honestly as possible. Apple is not the be all and end all. And Apple appear not to be selling iPhones as well as you were bragging they would a while back. They aren't failing, lots of people dig them; but for the average customer who wants nothing more but a touchscreen, Facebook, bit o YouTube and a calling and text machine, why spend £600+ on an iPhone when you can spend £200 or less on a device perfectly capable of what the iPhone does. Especially since Apple only appear to be supporting their models of phone for around 2 or 3 years before moving on.

Stop bad mouthing Google for essentially being chapter than Apple. You blame Microsofts OS Market share over Apples on dirty tactics, the lack of SJobs and allsorts of stuff. Best get thinking of an excuse, because you're predictions six months ago ain't coming true.

Written painstakingly and slowly on my iPhone.

My prediction six months ago was that Android was going to be crap.

What I failed to realize was that it was going to be crap on the level and breadth of Windows. I didn't count on its Wintel-style proliferation. In fact I doubted Android would ever get off the ground. But what did Google do, they caved in to the Acer-Dell-HP mentality. I thought they had more respect for their product than that. Then again, they specialize in ads, search and (often questionable) personal data collection. What a surprise that they adopted the standard horizontal model. It's the cheap and lazy way to market share. In retrospect, that was the only option open to them, lacking the guts and talent to compete against Apple product-for-product. No one really can. Everyone has failed so far.

Google is the Microsoft of mobile devices. Once again, the classic situation persists. We've got a commodity-ware maker racing for the bottom, and we've got a Premium player driving the market and actually making a hefty profit.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
You've convinced me. I've made a horrible mistake enjoying my Android phone and its related features. I shall sell it right away, and pledge my allegiance to Apple.

Sorry, I don't believe in any horizontal business models when it comes to consumer tech - desktop, notebook, mobile. And for the foreseeable future, I won't. At all.

If your device meets your wants and needs, that's all that matters. That supercedes anything I or anyone else will say.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Google is the Microsoft of mobile devices. Once again, the classic situation persists. We've got a commodity-ware maker racing for the bottom, and we've got a Premium player driving the market and actually making a hefty profit.

And this isn't the first time Apple has been in a position of great success. Unfortunately though, Apple doesn't seem to have learned from their past mistakes and are now using the same tactics that nearly left them bankrupt before.

As the market expands, Android will win out despite your feelings on it. Leaving Apple with an ever shrinking user base until they are just the odd ball company with a locked down user experience and limited hardware choices like they were in the mid 1980's, competing against the fact that people like options and change.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
So when iOS 4.3 comes out, my girlfriend, who uses my old iPhone 3G, will just be able to install that and be current with all other iPhones? That is great news. She'll be happy to hear that.

So tell me, how many 2.5-3 year old Android phones will run Gingerbread? I think it is unrealistic to expect any new OS to run on that old of a phone.

I think what Melrose was talking about is the confusion of what devices will be able to support a new OS. For example, when iOS 4.3 is released, it is pretty certain that the iPhone 4 will support it. However, when Gingerbread was released there was delays getting the update out through the various carriers.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007

...and you missed the point of what I was saying entirely. :rolleyes:

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
I think it is unrealistic to expect any new OS to run on that old of a phone.
Bu bu bu... fragmentation and all that?
I think what Melrose was talking about is the confusion of what devices will be able to support a new OS. For example, when iOS 4.3 is released, it is pretty certain that the iPhone 4 will support it. However, when Gingerbread was released there was delays getting the update out through the various carriers.
If Apple can't even support 2 of the 4 phones they've made, how reasonable is it to expect Google to support the 100s that Android is on? I understand the reasons why, and they make sense to me, but every time I hear someone mention that with regards to the iPhone, I can't help but laugh a little.
...and you missed the point of what I was saying entirely. :rolleyes:
Then instead of a silly smiley, feel free to explain it better then. I'm all ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.