Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Detach it?

Fold back 360 degrees (flat against the back)?

Or leave it like this:

img.png

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I would assume fold it around the back and flat, like the original iPad case from Apple, except that it will work better since the back in now flat.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
I would assume fold it around the back and flat, like the original iPad case from Apple, except that it will work better since the back in now flat.
The most ridiculous thing is that Apple didn't even bother showing us Smart Cover flat against the iPad back (no pic or vid?). How are we supposed to know? I surely don't want to assume and drop 70 bucks on this thing only to find out that it doesn't fold back completely flat and has to be detached instead.

I mean, am I the only one concerned about this?

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
The most ridiculous thing is that Apple didn't even bother showing us Smart Cover flat against the iPad back (no pic or vid?). How are we supposed to know? I surely don't want to assume and drop 70 bucks on this thing only to find out that it doesn't fold back completely flat and has to be detached instead.

Gizmodo has a video where they fold it back... it works just fine.

zoman504

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010

Yes, you are. The rest of us will continue on using common sense.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
all of you who will purchase this flap for 70 bucks then by some freak accident drop the iPad, i will laugh. This flap provides VERY little in terms of protection.

I will be purchasing an Otterbox when available. :) This is a total and complete waste of 70 bones.

I know, i know...i will get flamed for saying their flap is worthless. Just being real my good friends! Cheers!

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001

No, I had the same concern as well.

Was it really that hard to have someone fold the Smart Cover all the way around instead of using it as a stand? With almost every video out there, no one chose to keep on folding the thing around except Gizmodo. And that was the last place I ever thought to look.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
Anyone have the video from Gizmodo that shows it folding all the way back? Been trying to find it and no luck.

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
all of you who will purchase this flap for 70 bucks then by some freak accident drop the iPad, i will laugh. This flap provides VERY little in terms of protection.

I will be purchasing an Otterbox when available. :) This is a total and complete waste of 70 bones.

I know, i know...i will get flamed for saying their flap is worthless. Just being real my good friends! Cheers!

I'd rather take my chance carrying it w/o much protection than carry it in an otterbox...it's such an offensive case imo.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
i know what you mean, i used to be just like that.

But the fact is, most of us never keep our iDevices to the death of them. We almost always sell them, so i would rather sacrifice looks for protection to get the most on a sale. :)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
This is interesting...I didn't know that the case was able to stay folded by itself and sort of dangle there like this. Would have been cool if they built some magnets into the back of the iPad as well to have the case stay attached when folded back.

Check out this video, around the 5:45 mark and you can see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxEkVWQo_V4

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
But the fact is, most of us never keep our iDevices to the death of them. We almost always sell them, so i would rather sacrifice looks for protection to get the most on a sale. :)

Each to their own of course, but I'm more interested in using the device unfettered by cumbersome protection devices than whether I extract every last dollar in resale. Portable electronics are not an investment vehicle; quite the opposite. But do whatever makes you happy.

Back to the topic -- neat thing about Apple is they have a return policy if you get something and don't like it. There's so much angst about these Smart Covers; will they fold all they way back, with they scratch up the sides, will they erase your credit cards, etc. Sheesh. If you're unsure, then chill out and wait a few weeks to see what the reports are from the first adopters. By then there will be a gazillion other case options to suit your fancy.

If you've put yourself in a position where you can't sit back and wait, I guess you can get a sleeve to use in the interim until you're comfortable with the case options.

Tienenaar

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2009
Belgium
Am I the only one who sees one problem, with the Smart Cover around the back, how do you use the rear facing camera? Do you have to remove the cover every time you wish to use it?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Am I the only one who sees one problem, with the Smart Cover around the back, how do you use the rear facing camera? Do you have to remove the cover every time you wish to use it?

Fold it in half. One of the Engadget videos from launch day show the lady demonstrator doing that.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Fold it in half. One of the Engadget videos from launch day show the lady demonstrator doing that.

I'm betting that's one of the reasons they put the camera on the side they did, so you could just fold back one or two flaps and be able to easily hold it like that for a pic. On top of that, it's not really that big of a deal to take off. On top of that, since the camera is basically right next to the sleep wake button, if you're pressing that all the time the camera lens is going to be constantly smudged, whereas if you're using the smart cover it'll go to sleep/wake up without ever touching the button (and you don't have to do that stupid swipe to unlock crap.)

For those going on about protection, not everyone needs otterbox style protection. Some of us don't drop our devices every 10 minutes. All I really need is scratch protection and a light portable stand. So I'm getting an invisible shield and a smart cover. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive but they fit what I need perfectly.

I hate the big bulky cases that you have to take the whole thing off to use with docks and such. smart cover is slim and easy to take off when using a dock. AND it's also a lot less clunky when it comes to using it as a stand. Nobody wants to walk into an office meeting with 10 tons of crap to carry to prop their ipad up. They want it slim and relatively discreet so they're not making a scene.

I'm just hoping the magnets work well through the invisible shield and don't come off too easy because of it but i'll have a few weeks to find out.

White iPad plus either red or tan smart cover = win for my needs.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I'm not concerned because I'll just ask a store employee on the 11th.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Found another video on YouTube showing someone holding the iPad with the cover folded back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXaDtieg8YQ

Hmm. At around 1:03 it looks like if you don't manually hold the loose flap next to the back, it flops down.

Hopefully Apple put another magnet on the non-hinge edge to hold it down either front or back. Is there one and it's just not obvious?

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
Hmm. At around 1:03 it looks like if you don't manually hold the loose flap next to the back, it flops down.

Hopefully Apple put another magnet on the non-hinge edge to hold it down either front or back. Is there one and it's just not obvious?

None of the videos would make it seem like there's one in the back, but what would be the point? if it's on a surface then it's either a stand or the surface is holding it flat to the back and if you're holding it then you'd be holding the cover flat to the back with or without a magnet helping.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

Isn't the Otterbox the little yellow school bus of iPad cases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.