Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Jaime1972
macrumors newbie

iMac g3 Panther/OS9 hardware GRRRRRR!

I have searched the forums but no-one seems to have exactly the same problem.

I WAS running Panther on an iMac g3, 128mb Ram (!) with no problems apart from the speed!
I installed an original airport card and a 512mb ram stick (Compatible according to dealer and recognised by Panther) and nothing has been the same since..........

I was connected to my powerbook wirelessly and restarted the imac without closing this connection....... It got stuck at the gray screen. Constant reboots brought up the black darwin login which didn't recognise my Admin login details, and then I eventually got the safe boot to work after numerous forced 'switch offs', followed all the advice found here in the forums but still the imac won't reboot into Panther.
I have tried all combinations from the Panther startup disk. Clean reinstalls with/without airport card, with/without the new Ram, archive install, erase and install, repair permissions, repair disk EVERYTHING!!! but Panther has a panic during the clean installation and I have to hold the power button and restart.
The only thing which works is Starting up the iMac from the Panther CD and choosing OS9.2 as the startup disk (The Classic system folder, never installed in its own right) and then the machine works fine, other than that the machine only recognises 256mb of the 512 stick (?)
Panther WILL NOT WORK or install not even with removing the new hardware.
Why does OS9 work and why is it impossible to install/run Panther?????
I seem to have caused an OS9 only machine!
Jaime1972 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers