Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
SamIchi
macrumors 68030
 
SamIchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Hmmm Why Does My Browser Slow Down When There's Too Many Flash Images?

I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
munkle
macrumors 68030
 
munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a jet plane
I'd start using Safari or Firefox, both far superior browsers
munkle is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:35 PM   #3
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604
 
MacsRgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkle
I'd start using Safari or Firefox, both far superior browsers
I second that.

And probably 99% of all members here too.
__________________
Steve Jobs. 1955 - 2011. My Hero.
MacsRgr8 is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
andrewfee
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Safari is much faster than the other OS X browsers when dealing with flash from my experience, but flash does perform surprisingly badly on OS X in general. Apparently the new version in development is significantly faster on macs.
andrewfee is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
SamIchi
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
SamIchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:50 PM   #6
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a
 
jackieonasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the great OKLAHOMA....
Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi
Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?
Everything?

Just EVERYTHING about Shiira, Safari, and Firefox. Try ANY of those and enrich your internet experience. The only thing worse then netscape is IE itself.

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:57 PM   #7
SamIchi
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
SamIchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:59 AM   #8
munkle
macrumors 68030
 
munkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: On a jet plane
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi
OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....
If you want to open up a link in a new tab, hold down command button (apple button) and click on the link.
To navigate between tabs hold down command-shift and use the arrow keys to navigate left or right.
To scroll through the different windows you have open, hold down command and press ~ (look at the top left of your keyboard under esc).
Don't forget you can tell Safari to block pop up windows under the Safari menu, or press command-k.
munkle is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:14 AM   #9
darkwing
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Send a message via AIM to darkwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi
I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.
__________________
A gay man has the same right to marry a woman as I do.
darkwing is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:37 AM   #10
angelneo
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: afk
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.
I agreed. Even with flash professional mx2004, it seriously need some optimization on Mac OS. If Adobe software can perform so much better, I don't see why macromedia software are so slow. Both software run on par with their respective PC version but their Mac version are so much different.
__________________
This is good, isn't it?
angelneo is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:24 AM   #11
virividox
macrumors 68040
 
virividox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
i run 1.ghz and 1 gig ram and it still lags on mine

dunno why
__________________
17" MBP , 2 gig ram, 200 gig fw800 + 120 gig fw400 + 250 gig usb2 ext, 5g 80gig Ipod, Tiger
d200 & d70
virividox is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:49 AM   #12
Mitthrawnuruodo
Moderator
 
Mitthrawnuruodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bergen, Norway
Even Safari and FireFox will struggle with too many Flash animations on one page. If tou need to see someting on the page (that is not Flash) you may temporary turn of support for plug-ins, and the Flash files won't load.

If you're switch to FireFox you may also install an Extention called Adblock which is specially designed to remove annoying Flash files through filtering, letting you filter out the unnecessary Flash animations and keeping those you want to see.
__________________
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it; those who fail to learn history correctly... why, they are simply doomed.
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best browser that has Flash? paulie6978 iPad Apps 3 Sep 23, 2013 03:36 PM
enable flash in browser g5 Drich290195 PowerPC Macs 7 Sep 2, 2013 01:12 PM
Best Flash Browser on iOS? AznTakumi iPhone 10 Feb 21, 2013 03:10 PM
Flash Browser Problem Antics Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 0 Jan 8, 2013 01:48 PM
Browser Images from some websites Not Loading scrimshank MacBook Air 1 Nov 17, 2012 08:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC