Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Hmmm Why Does My Browser Slow Down When There's Too Many Flash Images?

I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:19 PM   #2
munkle
macrumors 68030

I'd start using Safari or Firefox, both far superior browsers
munkle is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:35 PM   #3
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkle
I'd start using Safari or Firefox, both far superior browsers
I second that.

And probably 99% of all members here too.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:39 PM   #4
andrewfee
macrumors 6502

Safari is much faster than the other OS X browsers when dealing with flash from my experience, but flash does perform surprisingly badly on OS X in general. Apparently the new version in development is significantly faster on macs.
andrewfee is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:50 PM   #6
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIchi
Hmm.... I'm so used to usin' Netscape.... I guess I could try it.... Are there any distinct advantages of Safari?
Everything?

Just EVERYTHING about Shiira, Safari, and Firefox. Try ANY of those and enrich your internet experience. The only thing worse then netscape is IE itself.

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Feb 17, 2005, 05:57 PM   #7
SamIchi
macrumors 68030

OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....
SamIchi is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:59 AM   #8
munkle
macrumors 68030

Quote:
OK i'm usin' Safari now, I transfered all my Bookmarks, and went through the preferences. One thing that I'm missin' is the "new tab" button that was on the Netscape browser, unless I overlooked it. I used that button alot a hella lot. I know I can just ctrl click but it's a nuissance. Hmm.. Well I'll keep usin' and see how I like it. I might try the other browsers too. What do you guys reccomend? Firefox etc....
If you want to open up a link in a new tab, hold down command button (apple button) and click on the link.
To navigate between tabs hold down command-shift and use the arrow keys to navigate left or right.
To scroll through the different windows you have open, hold down command and press ~ (look at the top left of your keyboard under esc).
Don't forget you can tell Safari to block pop up windows under the Safari menu, or press command-k.
munkle is offline   0
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:14 AM   #9
darkwing
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to darkwing
Quote:
I use Netscape on my eMac and whenever there's those flash ads on the sites, the browser slows down a bit. If I have more than one window w/ these ads it sometimes just stops, and I can't do anythin'?? I'll have to force quit. I have 768 mb of RAM. Is it the computer, or the browser? Video card maybe?
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:37 AM   #10
angelneo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing
We had a thread about this a while ago, and it turns out that the Flash player on the Mac simply sucks. As does the JVM. Many web pages with annoying little flash ads spin 100% of the cpu while on a windows machine they take only a small amount. My 1.5 ghz 17" powerbook should be able to handle it, so obviously the Flash player for the Mac is in need of serious optimization.
I agreed. Even with flash professional mx2004, it seriously need some optimization on Mac OS. If Adobe software can perform so much better, I don't see why macromedia software are so slow. Both software run on par with their respective PC version but their Mac version are so much different.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:24 AM   #11
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
i run 1.ghz and 1 gig ram and it still lags on mine

dunno why
Old Feb 18, 2005, 03:49 AM   #12
Mitthrawnuruodo

Even Safari and FireFox will struggle with too many Flash animations on one page. If tou need to see someting on the page (that is not Flash) you may temporary turn of support for plug-ins, and the Flash files won't load.

If you're switch to FireFox you may also install an Extention called Adblock which is specially designed to remove annoying Flash files through filtering, letting you filter out the unnecessary Flash animations and keeping those you want to see.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > General Mac Discussion