Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

225018-ipad2prices.png

Late last week, AllThingsD compiled the data plan pricing for the iPad 2 on both Verizon and AT&T in an easy to read chart.

AT&T is offering the same pre-paid monthly options as on the original iPad for 250MB/$15 and 2GB/$25. If you run out of data in a given month, you can simply pay again a reset the meter. Now, AT&T is also offering a "postpaid" option which charges overages at a set rate (see chart above).

Verizon is offering their own set of choices for data that mirror their iPad 1/Mi-Fi bundles. As with AT&T, there's no long term contract and these can be adjusted or canceled on a month to month basis. Verizon's offers data ranges of 1GB, 3GB, 5GB, and 10GB a month. So, consistently heavy users would do better on Verizon's plans while very infrequent users would save money with AT&T.

230647-ipad.png

The iPad 2 is launching on Friday, March 11th. Apple is telling customers that online sales will begin at 12:01 Pacific Time on March 11th, or customers can go to Apple Retail stores at 5 p.m. on March 11th to get one in hand that day. There will likely be long lines for the iPad 2 launch day since Apple is only accepting online orders the day of launch, and standing in line will be the only way to get your hands on an iPad 2 before the following week.

Article Link: iPad 2 Launch Details: Data Plans for Verizon and AT&T, Online Ordering, Stand in Line

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
They (AT&T and Verizon) are both ripping off people with these data cost.

Why Apple did not add a World GSM/CDMA chip to the iPad 2 is beyond me, it would have been a true win for us consumers in the US, Canada and other CDMA regions.

The iPad is data hungry device. Realistically, a single two hour during off peak hours will take ~600 MB of data and ~400 MB on peak hours. Add to this basic web stuff, like checking email, the occasional YouTube video, streaming radio (iHeart, Pandora, ect...) and you are looking at 6 - 10 GB per month when not on Wi-Fi. Steve Jobs was right when he introduced the original iPad 3G last year; the unlimited plan they were offering (for 41 days) was an outstanding deal.

Last edited:

jealousguy86

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
will be getting my from walmart friday. already talked to someone at my local store. they weren't sure what time they'll be on sale that day, but said i can get one held for me if i need be.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I love how Apple is trying to create news channel buzz by forcing Day 1 iPad 2 buyers to line up at stores since you can't online preorder. Lord knows we can't have a smooth Day 1 launch like the Verizon iPhone since news outlets reported failure since there weren't huge lines.

Can anyone think of a reason why we can't preorder now and have it shipped to our door on the 11th like every single other launch since the original iPhone?

They simply want news buzz in the middle of the afternoon to have thousands of people lined up around the country.

The Verizon iPhone 4 was a huge success in sales and the ease of purchasing. However it failed in the news' eyes in that there weren't long lines, rioting, and everything went smoothly.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
The cost of 3G data is absurd. Its better to just use it in wifi.

If I want a data plan on 3G, I'd rather get a mifi that I could use with any of my devices, not just one.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005

Why Apple did not add a World GSM/CDMA chip to the iPad 2 is beyond me, it would have been a true win for us consumers in the US, Canada and other CDMA regions.

Canada isn't a CDMA region anymore, is it? I can't speak for all of Canada but Bell and Telus (only CDMA companies) switched to HSPA+ a couple of years ago.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Which is why I'd never buy a data plan from them, and neither should anyone else who thinks it's too much. Change occurs with the decisions your wallet makes! ;)

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
At least for speed, I think a 4G mobile hotspot would be a far better option. I just wish Verizon would release it already.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Canada isn't a CDMA region anymore, is it? I can't speak for all of Canada but Bell and Telus (only CDMA companies) switched to HSPA+ a couple of years ago.

They still have CDMA networks running, but I would guess that most of their newer phones are GSM only so people can roam overseas.

KIDLARK

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Orange County, California
Can anyone think of a reason why we can't preorder now and have it shipped to our door on the 11th like every single other launch since the original iPhone?

They simply want news buzz in the middle of the afternoon to have thousands of people lined up around the country.

The Verizon iPhone 4 was a huge success in sales and the ease of purchasing. However it failed in the news' eyes in that there weren't long lines, rioting, and everything went smoothly.

That is exactly why they aren't offering the pre-order earlier....so lame. It was much more convenient ordering online and having it shipped to my door launch day. Oh well, maybe I'll just go Saturday morning to see if they have any left over, because some of us have to work and can't wait in line all day!

spetzco

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
In Hong Kong, I have unlimited data on my iPad for $6.50 /mo. (yes...I said six dollars and fifty cents). Funny how the USA has become 'ripoff nation'... (ps. my iPhone costs me approximately $50/mo for unlimited data, and 2500 minutes, good for international calls. In the US, I was paying about $120/mo for an inferior plan. R I P O F F N A T I O N

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I love how Apple is trying to create news channel buzz by forcing Day 1 iPad 2 buyers to line up at stores since you can't online preorder. Lord knows we can't have a smooth Day 1 launch like the Verizon iPhone since news outlets reported failure since there weren't huge lines.

It's all about free publicity like you said. Poorly managed (on purpose) product launches are a great way to let the lemmings know which cliff to jump off of. :D

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!

+1 and very bad PR planning by apple, a company which promotes online

then tricks us to do go in line and wait ...

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX

The iPad is data hungry device. Realistically, a single two hour during off peak hours will take ~600 MB of data and ~400 MB on peak hours. Add to this basic web stuff, like checking email, the occasional YouTube video, streaming radio (iHeart, Pandora, ect...) and you are looking at 6 - 10 GB per month when not on Wi-Fi. Steve Jobs was right when he introduced the original iPad 3G last year; the unlimited plan they were offering (for 41 days) was an outstanding deal.

Building a single iPad version would have made the two carriers compete on pricing from one month to the next. Have a crappy internet connection? Switch to Verizon! Need more speed where there's signal? Switch to AT&T!

Buying a 3G version is probably the worst vendor lock-in I've ever seen because after you've paid $130, you then get the privilege of paying expensive data plan prices. And if you never use the 3G, you've paid $130 for nothing! And if you get another iPad, you have to pay another $130.

Nah, I'd rather just have a MiFi and separate the network from the device.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

I'm not sure, based on a TUAW article I read, I gathered it was.

http://phone-solutions.pavemyway.com/Cdma-Operators/Cdma-Operators-List.php

However, I'm not sure. The only think I know for sure about Canada is the drink milk from bags and the tops of the heads are detached from their bodies (as seen in SouthPark).

pistolero

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
3G will continue to be very expensive because the value of voice minutes has been depressed. The profits are in data, and this expensive trend will continue thanks to the lack of net neutrality rules in the US market. Very soon they'll start to offer special packages in which certain ATT/Verizon approved websites/apps will have preferential data rates and speeds over other websites/apps.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
In Hong Kong, I have unlimited data on my iPad for $6.50 /mo. (yes...I said six dollars and fifty cents). Funny how the USA has become 'ripoff nation'... (ps. my iPhone costs me approximately $50/mo for unlimited data, and 2500 minutes, good for international calls. In the US, I was paying about $120/mo for an inferior plan. R I P O F F N A T I O N
Sigh. I want to live in HK!! :eek:

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
It really pisses me off they aren't doing online pre-orders. I HATE dealing with the asshats at the Apple store. Does anyone know if Best Buy will be having them on the 11th and what their plans are? I was surprised to not see it in this weeks Best Buy ad.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
I think this must be a first first apple in that they need to create 18 different versions of the iPad. Talk about a supply chain logistical nightmare!! Luckly Apple has Tim Cook and tons of experience to get this thing right. You know they are going for Android's jugular with this onslaught. I mean this is an 18 man army ready for battle and ready to conquer.

3 White Verizon
3 Black Verizon
3 White ATT
3 Black ATT
3 Black Wifi only
3 White Wifi only

= 18 total devices.

From a business standpoint I'd understock the 16gb and upsell the 32gb. Fatter margin.

btw. i'm keeping my unlimited ATT. Locked that bad boy in and not letting it go.

I don't know of any other apple products with that many versions of what is pretty much the same device.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Building a single iPad version would have made the two carriers compete on pricing from one month to the next. Have a crappy internet connection? Switch to Verizon! Need more speed where there's signal? Switch to AT&T!

Buying a 3G version is probably the worst vendor lock-in I've ever seen because after you've paid $130, you then get the privilege of paying expensive data plan prices. And if you never use the 3G, you've paid $130 for nothing! And if you get another iPad, you have to pay another $130.

Nah, I'd rather just have a MiFi and separate the network from the device.

To a businessman, $130 is little to pay to know you can activate 3G whenever you need it. It's tough to find mifi's that don't require contract (Virgin Mobile is the one I use). Personally, when I travel on business I carry devices from multiple networks (virgin mobile mi-fi - uses the sprint network, AT&T iPhone, and soon a verizon iPad) - that way one or the other will work (last time I was in western PA on business, neither the virgin mobile or at&t iphone was able to get a signal when I needed it).

spetzco

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2011
To be fair to ATT and Verizon (not to mention any other company trying to do business in the US), a big part of the additional cost is probably due to the absurd legal and regulatory framework the US has burdened itself with. The nation is in a downward spiral, and you can lay the blame squarely at the feet of the lawyers and politicians. Use your new iPads to organise a rebellion..it's time!

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I'm not sure, based on a TUAW article I read, I gathered it was.

http://phone-solutions.pavemyway.com/Cdma-Operators/Cdma-Operators-List.php

However, I'm not sure. The only think I know for sure about Canada is the drink milk from bags and the tops of the heads are detached from their bodies (as seen in SouthPark).

Yeah they were CDMA but they've switched, though their CDMA networks are still running for older phones, I'd assume.

I've never even seen milk in a bag. Our milk is the same as yours. :(

However the detached heads part is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.