Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One reader noted that the Higher Education institutional order pages for the iPad 2 are live. Now this doesn't actually let you (or anyone) order an iPad 2. You can create a proposal for your Apple Authorized Purchasing Agent.

But it does show the iPad 2 with all different accessory options, in case you want to practice for 12:01am Friday, March 11th.

004636-ipad2acc_500.jpg

As we had known, iPad 2 Smart Covers are $39, Leather ones $69. iPad 2 Dock is $29. The Digital AV Adapter is $39.

Article Link: iPad 2 Order Pages for Higher Educational Institutions

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

resistance is futile. I so wish I could here a voice saying "use the force Luke"!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
So, the iPad 2 dock will be different to the original one? Time to put my original dock to eBay? (iPad already sold) Can't evaluate from the new iPad 2 size if the old one still fits perfect, less perfect or not all all ... Any educated guess on this?

junker

macrumors 6502
So, for me, the link is now dead :(

Biut this also brings up and interesting experience I had:

Called an Apple Reseller (in Nashville TN), and was told that the educational discount wouldn't apply because...

wait for it...

...this isn't a computer.

Really? So, what is it - A peanut butter sandwich?

wow.

Guess my definition of a computer is old school now. I wonder how this definition has changed? Anyone?

litopine

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
Downers Grove, IL
So, the iPad 2 dock will be different to the original one? Time to put my original dock to eBay? (iPad already sold) Can't evaluate from the new iPad 2 size if the old one still fits perfect, less perfect or not all all ... Any educated guess on this?

I would try to use the old dock first. I use my original iPhone dock for my iPhone 4 and it works like a charm!!!

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I would try to use the old dock first. I use my original iPhone dock for my iPhone 4 and it works like a charm!!!

Yeah, mabye I'm lucky. As the (small) resale value of the original dock won't be affected by waiting, I'll wait until the new iPad arrives and try first ...

thanxal

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2009
FYI - I actually have an institutional PCard so almost placed an order with the credit card. Luckily I entered my expiration date wrong and didn't notice it until I got on the phone with the Institutional Purchases department. When I asked the rep said that the order would go "live" on Friday but that there was a seven day lead time on shipping. If you're ordering via an institution, know that you'll wait up to 7 days past Friday. I am going on an overseas trip on the 18th and desperately want an iPad2 for the flight, so looks like I'm standing in line.

bwthor

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
I'm an authorized Apple purchaser for our university. I went to the educational site to see if we would get a discount, but we don't. It is usually $100 on computers, and 20-30 on bigger accessories.

Anyway, I saw that I could go in and order, added two to my cart and submitted the order with our purchase order number.

It went through, and I received and order confirmation from Apple. Unfortunately, the shipping may be slow, but I'll have to wait and see when we get ours.

The order confirmation shows this...
Not yet shipped
Ships: Mar 23
Delivers: Mar 24
Product / Part No. Qty

IPAD WI-FI 64GB BLACK-USA
MC916LL/A 2

bwthor

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Just an update...

I called Apple to find out why my iPad2 order wouldn't be shipped until the 23rd. The lady said the order wasn't for an iPad2, but for an original iPad. I told her to look at the part number, and she verified that it was a 64GB iPad2. I then asked again about shipping, and if that date will change once it is released, or if I should cancel my order and reorder when it officially goes on sale. She put me on hold to speak with her supervisor, and about 10 minutes later came back and said that they didn't know why I was allowed to order, but it was a valid order and the date will most likely change.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Just an update...

I called Apple to find out why my iPad2 order wouldn't be shipped until the 23rd. The lady said the order wasn't for an iPad2, but for an original iPad. I told her to look at the part number, and she verified that it was a 64GB iPad2. I then asked again about shipping, and if that date will change once it is released, or if I should cancel my order and reorder when it officially goes on sale. She put me on hold to speak with her supervisor, and about 10 minutes later came back and said that they didn't know why I was allowed to order, but it was a valid order and the date will most likely change.

I hope it ships tomorrow.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2005
Just an update...

Why would you order if you get no discount? I would just cancel and order from someone else to get it by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

bwthor

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
Why would you order if you get no discount? I would just cancel and order from someone else to get it by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

Mostly because I could, but the biggest reason is that I probably won't be able to get a chance to get to a store before they are sold out. If I do get a chance to get to a store on Friday and they have them in stock, I'll probably pick one up and cancel my order

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.