Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Perhapd discussed already, but.. the smart cover doesn't cover the rear of the ipad right?

So are you guys jumping on this cover or waiting for something that covers front AND back?

patchel

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Aside from the fact that it does not protect the back, i am afraid that the magnets would eventually scratch the sides (the left in particular) where you align the magnets. I hope Apple thought of that and found a way to prevent it.

Either way, i am still buying one then putting it in a sleeve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
My concern is the other side, the side without magnets. So as soon as you pick it up and hold it any way but flat the darn thing looks like it would flop open.

Am I wrong? You either have to hold it or lay the iPad down. I don't see any other way.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You have to be the baaa baaa baaaiest of sheep to buy the Smart Cover, but Apple will sell tons. $39 and what does it really do? It doesn't protect the iPad at all against even the faintest of drops, it doesn't even protect against scratches and knicks. People are amazed because it's got magnets as-if magnets are some new fangled technology that haven't be around since history began. I don't get it, but it is genius of Apple to get people to fork over $40. If the emperor had a new case this would be it.

I'll keep using my current iPad case (sure it will be loose) until iPad 2 cases worth $40-50 show up. I've seen a lot of nice designs from Macally, Incipio, Speck, etc., etc. that actually protect the case -- and if I'm going to spend $ to cover up the iPad it's solely to protect it, not to decorate it w/ a colored piece of plastic.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
The smart cover will keep the glass from being scratched while it's in your backpack or messenger bag etc.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The smart cover will keep the glass from being scratched while it's in your backpack or messenger bag etc.

Yes, but it won't protect the back/sides from getting scratched or prevent foreign objects, dust, debris from getting inside the ports while its in your backpack or messenger bag. So if protection is the reason you buy a smart cover it's a bad choice. It's not all that smart.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
You have to be the baaa baaa baaaiest of sheep to buy the Smart Cover, but Apple will sell tons. $39 and what does it really do? It doesn't protect the iPad at all against even the faintest of drops, it doesn't even protect against scratches and knicks. People are amazed because it's got magnets as-if magnets are some new fangled technology that haven't be around since history began. I don't get it, but it is genius of Apple to get people to fork over $40. If the emperor had a new case this would be it.

I'll keep using my current iPad case (sure it will be loose) until iPad 2 cases worth $40-50 show up. I've seen a lot of nice designs from Macally, Incipio, Speck, etc., etc. that actually protect the case -- and if I'm going to spend $ to cover up the iPad it's solely to protect it, not to decorate it w/ a colored piece of plastic.

I would have to agree with this. +1

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I can't imagine not having a full case, just for the added heft.

Apple keeps pushing these thinner and thinner devices. Unfortunately, at least for me, I find it almost impossible to comfortably hold onto such a thin device for too long. The 1st gen iPad is almost too thin for me until you put a nice case on it.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
My concern is the other side, the side without magnets. So as soon as you pick it up and hold it any way but flat the darn thing looks like it would flop open.

Am I wrong? You either have to hold it or lay the iPad down. I don't see any other way.
Why Apple didn't bother demonstrating exactly this on their website is beyond me. Ridiculous. :mad:

Toiletpapers

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I just really cant imagine having the back of my brand new iPad 2 naked. I can barely put my iPad 1 naked back down on a hard surface without cringing at the sound. I was considering the whole smart cover and the invisible shield, but for one it's a lot of money to pay for a $70 cover (leather colors are the only good ones), and like 30 for an invisible shield back, and two, am I the only one that really doesn't care for a cover for the front screen?

From all my generation iphones to my first generation iPad, my front screen has been naked. It really doesn't scratch like the back does, and not to mention its so damn annoying to flip the front cover off to use your iPad. What i did for my iPad was put a transparent case on the back, and walahh, beautiful design is still shown and I actually have protection if i drop it and what not. The only thing that is missing from this setup is a stand so I can prop my iPad up to type (never use the other prop-up), and this is why im considering getting the smart cover. WTB a transparent case with a little kickstand built into the back :)

wfj5444

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
REALLY not seeing the point of the Smart Cover.

I like to see some reviews before I buy a case. For my iPad 1, I used the Scoche folio which was perfect. (Found out later Handhelditems sell the same thing for $20) Very minimal but protects it well.

Scoche already has the same for iPad 2, so I think I will hold out until I see the HHI version for $20 :)

I just hate putting a cover on such a thin device. Bulks it up so much, but I do like reading in bed laying on my side, so I am sorta stuck.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

it's perfect for me, I prefer to use my iPad naked, but like the angled stand funcionality for typing.

I'll probably get a sleeve case that fits both when I'm travelling.

macsolo

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
Bangkok

I think it depends what you want out of your case / cover. Apple have a made a beautiful product and then to put it in a case, however nice, takes away what makes the new iPad atheistically pleasing.

I'm going to make a conscious choice to buy a smart cover and a skin from bestskinsever.com to protect the back from scratches. I won't take it out of my apartment very often, don't have kids to mess with it and I don't want to compromise the design. However if people are going outside with it alot, putting it in a rucksack. A more protective case makes sense.

meder87

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2010
Georgia
Definitely not getting a smart cover. Doesn't protect and its gimmicky. I'm gonna try and find a folio cover that I can stand it at various angles. But i'm gonna play the wait and see game for covers and then make my decision.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I plan on buying a Smart Cover and then using Zagg to cover the back of the iPad. I just hate how expensive those leather Smart Covers are.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I not to mention its so damn annoying to flip the front cover off to use your iPad.

In fact, it would be easier and faster to flip the cover open than press home button and slide to unlock. It's perfect for those who like to use their iPads naked.

Last edited:

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
There's a downside to every case design. It's about finding a downside you can live with. Since I take good care of my equipment I'm not concerned about the back side of the iPad. The only time it would come up is when traveling, which I don't do often. The smart cover looks interesting. Not sure I would want it but it's just an option. Not like it'll be the only one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.