Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

163926-late_2008_mb_mbp.jpg

In a blog post published last week, Other World Computing unravels a mystery that has seen conflicting information over whether "Late 2008" aluminum MacBooks and MacBook Pros support a maximum of 8 GB of RAM. According to the report, Apple apparently quietly changed a December 2009 firmware update for the machines at some point to boost maximum RAM support from 6 GB to 8 GB.

The discovery comes after numerous reports, including some in our own forums, pointed to 8 GB of RAM being supported in these machines even though OWC's earlier testing had clearly shown that a maximum of 6 GB could be addressed even with 8 GB installed.
Not being the type to just let these sorts of claims to go unchallenged, we went back to our testing lab, grabbed the affected model machines, running 10.6.6. and dropped an 8GB upgrade kit in them.

The results were exactly the same as in 2009, lending credence to our conclusions, but the sheer number of claims to the contrary led us to continue searching - and the trail ended at Apple.

In late 2009, an EFI Firmware Update was released to address the buzzing noises coming from the optical drive. However, it seems that somewhere along the line, Apple changed this update without notating it anywhere.
The MacBook and MacBook Pro EFI firmware updates were issued in December 2009 as part of package to address noise from the optical drive, but were altered at some point after their initial release to also introduce support for a maximum of 8 GB of RAM for users running Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Consequently, OWC recommends that users of Late 2008 MacBooks and MacBook Pros interested in upgrading to 8 GB of RAM check System Profiler on their machine to determine whether they are running the latest Boot ROM versions of MBP51.007E.B05 (MacBook Pro) or MB51.007D.B03 (MacBook), and if not, re-download the EFI firmware update and apply it to their machines.

Affected machines introduced in late 2008 include MacBooks running at 2.0 GHz and 2.4 GHz, as well as 2.4GHz 15" MacBook Pros and 2.53 GHz and 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro models offering ExpressCard slots.

Article Link: 'Secret' Firmware Update Unlocks Support for 8 GB RAM on 'Late 2008' Notebooks

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
So... I don't quite get it. My boot ROM version is MB51.007D.B03 (the same as noted in the link), but I did upgrade my EFI that takes away the annoying SuperDrive sound... Does it mean that I can use 8GB or can't?

Also, does it mean that when upgrading to Lion the boot ROM version might change? I do want to upgrade to Lion since it might bring support for SSD trim (for other SSD brands) as rumoured...

toromac

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
who needs 8gb, sheesh. i barely use 2gb of my 4gb of ram as it is. even using photoshop, I have never seen it max out.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
What about the mid 2009 white MacBook?

What about the mid 2009 white MacBooks?

That was the last non-LED white MacBook. Is there a firmware update for that to unlock support for 8 GB RAM?

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Quite a cool update there!

Shouldn't Apple be charging $1 for this clear addition of functionality, aka Wireless "n" and Facetime? :rolleyes:

Perhaps, but they seemingly let it fly under the radar for a reason, and now it’s been exposed, what will the repercussions be?

who needs 8gb, sheesh. i barely use 2gb of my 4gb of ram as it is. even using photoshop, I have never seen it max out.

I regularly start paging my HDD with my 3GB RAM, however can’t get any more as I’m on an older machine. I dream of the day I can have 8GB in my mac and not see it max out.

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
What about the mid 2009 white MacBooks?

That was the last non-LED white MacBook. Is there a firmware update for that to unlock support for 8 GB RAM?

I think none the white (plastic) macbook ever supports 8GB of RAM... Sorry for you, but I think 4GB is more than enough for everyday use... Unless you're a professional photographer or videographer that uses big big softwares :D

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I think none the white (plastic) macbook ever supports 8GB of RAM...

The mid 2009 white MacBook has the same chipset as the late 2008 aluminum MacBook. Aside from Apple restricting the mid 2009 white MacBook via intentionally crippling firmware, why wouldn't it be able to support 8 GB RAM?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Perhaps, but they seemingly let it fly under the radar for a reason, and now it’s been exposed, what will the repercussions be?

Why can't we just have a secret update to iChat that unlocks Facetime or something?

ariprotheroe

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
Is this news?

I've been running my Late 2008 MacBook Pro with 8GB since March 2010, I'm using Kingston Memory KTA-MB1066K2/8G.

If only Apple would do about about an EFI update and enabling VT-D on the the older MacPro

Nobita

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
La la land
The mid 2009 white MacBook has the same chipset as the late 2008 aluminum MacBook. Aside from Apple restricting the mid 2009 white MacBook via intentionally crippling firmware, why wouldn't it be able to support 8 GB RAM?

Oh yeah, you may be right! Maybe there's just no one hacked the firmware yet (or bothered to, or can't...)

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
This is great news.
As a owner of the Macbook 5,1 I am now watching prices for 8gb kits which are only $90 today.

travhoog

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Wow

So you're saying Apple has done something non-dastardly for a change? Wow.

Let's hope they even lifted the "No 64-bit Windows in bootcamp" limitation they heinously manufactured in certain non-pro MacBooks, like my Late '08 2.4 Unibody that runs 64bit Mac OS X and Ubuntu without a problem.

(One product cycle later they add "Pro" and a FW port to what is essentially the same machine and MAGICALLY bootcamp will install 64bit drivers for Win7.)

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
So you're saying Apple has done something non-dastardly for a change? Wow.

Let's hope they even lifted the "No 64-bit Windows in bootcamp" limitation they heinously manufactured in certain non-pro MacBooks, like my Late '08 2.4 Unibody that runs 64bit Mac OS X and Ubuntu without a problem.

(One product cycle later they add "Pro" and a FW port to what is essentially the same machine and MAGICALLY bootcamp will install 64bit drivers for Win7.)

You forgot how we also got screwed on the lesser battery vs. the longer sealed battery and the battery/ram/hdd door/cover that rattles and doesn't seat perfectly, though I agree that my missing FW port as someone who uses FW drives and Target Disk Mode a lot is my biggest gripe. I think we also got hosed a bit on the quality of the LCD panel since it wasn't a "Pro" machine at the time.

We nostalgically and somewhat defiantly refer to these as "Collector's Editions" Aluminum MacBooks, though neither that tag nor the support for 2 more GB of RAM is really helping my resale value, especially since the mid-2009 model saw a nice little price dump, er I mean drop.

travhoog

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
I agree that my missing FW port as someone who uses FW drives and Target Disk Mode a lot is my biggest gripe.

Well, I can't really complain about the lack of FW because I knew it didn't have it when I chose to buy it. It's the limitations they didn't make obvious that bother me, like Bootcamp.

But thanks for sharing the "Collectors Edition" title. I like that and I'll be using it from now on.

travhoog

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
just bought 8gb for $65 today ($20rebate) on newegg after finding this article. good luck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5&cm_re=pny_optima_8gb-_-20-178-335-_-Product

As I recall, many 6GB ram kits were having issues on the Late 08 Macs, so OWC started selling verified kits that were slightly more expensive but guaranteed to work. So I guess I'm saying beware, and test it out fully. If that kit does work for you, please share your experience. Maybe I'll pick up a pair too.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Well, I can't really complain about the lack of FW because I knew it didn't have it when I chose to buy it. It's the limitations they didn't make obvious that bother me, like Bootcamp.

But thanks for sharing the "Collectors Edition" title. I like that and I'll be using it from now on.

I knew it didn't have FW, I just didn't know how much I'd miss it. And the newer sealed longer batteries I think are better. I'm getting ready to sell mine this month. I have an iMac and so we only use the portable for iChat at the breakfast table - grandparents with our kids. The new iPad fixes that.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Shouldn't Apple be charging $1 for this clear addition of functionality, aka Wireless "n" and Facetime? :rolleyes:

That would be such absolute BS but it wouldn't surprise me at all. "Oh, you want to be able to use more RAM in your Mac? Well that wasn't advertised when we sold it to you, so in order to be able to do that you'll need to hand over $1".

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wow, I love this! I happen to have the late 2008 MBP, and I happen to find 4 GB or RAM to not be enough for Photoshop (Photoshop is always hungry). Amazing news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.