Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan Of Seattle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I dont know but I Think it would be cool if they gave it a thunderbolt connection along with usb.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Why would they give it both? Eventually Thunderbolt will replace USB. If for some reason the iPhone 5 gets TB, (unlikely because the iPad 2 didnt get it) I suppose there is a chance the iPod Touch 5 could get in in the summer.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Why? I would venture to guess that the memory used in iOS devices is slower than USB2.0 and the only computers out on the market currently are Apple's. Apple is not going to use Thunderbolt on their devices until it is widely adopted (or at least more available than on less than 10% of the market. Even firewire was found on more than 10% of the market when the first ipods came out).

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Look at iPad. It can do 1080p from dock connector.

And unless mobile storage require Thunderbolt, it's not happening.

So no, not for years.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
Why would they give it both? Eventually Thunderbolt will replace USB. If for some reason the iPhone 5 gets TB, (unlikely because the iPad 2 didnt get it) I suppose there is a chance the iPod Touch 5 could get in in the summer.

Intel, (the REAL developer), said that Thunderbolt is never going to replace USB. It is meant as a high-speed alternative for certain situations. It is suposed to share ubiquity with USB.

But in 4-5 years, we will need a thunderbolt-to-USB adapter for our iPods if we don't have thunderbolt.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Until TB reaches critical mass, no way. I see little benefit it for iDevices. Other than your initial sync, subsequent ones are generally not data intensive.

Damo01

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2010
Australia
Unless I'm missing the point, would you want a faster transfer speed not matter what the storage capacity is?

The timing just seem to be equivalent to have a faster transfer speed for a larger storage capacity size.

camelsnot

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
ipods will be phazed out in 3-5 years.. until then they stay USB. No need for TB on ipods. If apple cared about speed they would've stuck to FW or used esata for ipods. no deal.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Intel, (the REAL developer), said that Thunderbolt is never going to replace USB. It is meant as a high-speed alternative for certain situations. It is suposed to share ubiquity with USB.

But in 4-5 years, we will need a thunderbolt-to-USB adapter for our iPods if we don't have thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is by far too new to start speculating what it will actually be used for, though I do suspect it will used for high-end video, high speed storage, networking and peripherals with the need for ultra wide high speed bus (thinking 4K here).

Still it's new, very new technology it could be a winner like USB or loose out miserably like VSA-100.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
It might already . . .

Who's to say it doesn't already? --at least starting with the iPad 2. People are quick to forget how much the 30 pin dock connector has changed over the years. Changed? Yes. It used to only work with FireWire. Then USB but charging over FireWire and now ONLY with USB and no FireWire support.

iPad2 --> 1st 'i' Device--no, ANY device--to use 10W USB charger
ThunderBolt (copper) --> 10W of power

Thunderbolt is new FireWire so why would the 30 pin dock connector evolve again to support both? Apple is waiting until the new line up of iPod and computers at the end of the summer to announce it.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
USB is pretty well established, if thunderbolt were to take over it would be a long time from now.

That being said I think they'll stick to USB, its not like the iPods storage performance specs exceed USB2's performance, so it would literally be pointless.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Since iPods are primarily used for music, the Thunderbolt connection is ridiculous overkill.

For example, after I bought through the iTunes Store the album Hooked-On Classics Collection, I was able to copy essentially the three-disc album to my 4G iPod touch about a minute through a USB 2.0 connection. As such, this demonstrates you really don't need anything much faster. :)

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
Since iPods are primarily used for music, the Thunderbolt connection is ridiculous overkill.

For example, after I bought through the iTunes Store the album Hooked-On Classics Collection, I was able to copy essentially the three-disc album to my 4G iPod touch about a minute through a USB 2.0 connection. As such, this demonstrates you really don't need anything much faster. :)

I think it has as much to do with power and future planning as it does with speed. I don't think Apple will go strictly TB in the near future--they've always had a 'slower' peripheral bus and a 'faster' bus, even back to ADB&SCSI--and those products that didn't have always had limited appeal.

So I think we'll see TB sycing as an option at some point in the near future, though it may never become mandatory before all these gadgets start charging and sync'ing wirelessly.

jazbo brown

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2010
Thunderbolt replaced the 30-pin, not USB

Dudes -- Thunderbolt doesn't replace USB, it replaced the 30-pin connector.

The 30-pin connector is hugely misunderstood. It's basically a single connector that contains all the ports a computer would normally have (except ethernet, which doesn't make sense on a mobile device) -- it contains USB, Firewire, audio in, audio out, composite analog video out, component video out, digital video out, and power. Rather than having 9 ports on an iPod/iPad (there isn't even enough room for them all) they have a single port, the 30-pin, and a set of breakout cables for audio, video, USB, etc. Saves cost, too -- having all those ports individually would add a surprising amount of cost to devices.

Thunderbolt does the same thing -- USB, Firewire, audio, video protocols and more, plus power, can all run on the Thunderbolt wire. My guess is that at some point Apple replaces the 30-pin connector on iPads and iPods with Thunderbolt and instead of including a 30-pin to USB cable it supplies a Thunderbolt to USB cable.

al2o3cr

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2009
I suspect that Thunderbolt in iP(o|a)ds is still quite a ways off - check out the iFixit teardown for more details. The controller alone is bigger than the entire A5 processor, and requires 4x PCIe lanes (not available on many SoCs) plus a likely power draw of 2-3W. Not a huge deal for a laptop with a 35W+ processor, but a *big* deal for a tablet...

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
ipods will be phazed out in 3-5 years.. until then they stay USB. No need for TB on ipods. If apple cared about speed they would've stuck to FW or used esata for ipods. no deal.

All iPods? I don't see that happening in 5 years at all.

mlambert890

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2006
Dudes -- Thunderbolt doesn't replace USB, it replaced the 30-pin connector.

The 30-pin connector is hugely misunderstood. It's basically a single connector that contains all the ports a computer would normally have (except ethernet, which doesn't make sense on a mobile device) -- it contains USB, Firewire, audio in, audio out, composite analog video out, component video out, digital video out, and power. Rather than having 9 ports on an iPod/iPad (there isn't even enough room for them all) they have a single port, the 30-pin, and a set of breakout cables for audio, video, USB, etc. Saves cost, too -- having all those ports individually would add a surprising amount of cost to devices.

Thunderbolt does the same thing -- USB, Firewire, audio, video protocols and more, plus power, can all run on the Thunderbolt wire. My guess is that at some point Apple replaces the 30-pin connector on iPads and iPods with Thunderbolt and instead of including a 30-pin to USB cable it supplies a Thunderbolt to USB cable.

No, it isnt a connector standard at all. It is a complete protocol standard with its own controller running at 10Gbps. See the post below yours. Besides the logistical challenge that it will be a long while before any volume of devices has thunderbolt (you do realize that the *vast* majority of i devices go to PC owners right? Mac desktop/notebooks have very low marketshare), there is the fact that an interface between USB and thunderbolt would be a very complex thing - not a simple cable - people claiming "oh yeah just a cable", are skimming articles they don't understand and drawing ridiculous conclusions.

Thunderbolt is essentially external PCI-E. So sure, any device that could conceivably interface with PCI-E can interface with TB. But that means building some sort of breakout box. This is why the new MBPs still have a flotilla of ports. It isnt a mystery. Anyone who actually understands the technology of these parts will understand this.

As for i devices, there is no way an i device can move 10Gbps of data. The flash isn't fast enough, the processors aren't fast enough.

Apple should have gone to USB3 as an interim step *in addition* to TB, then rev'd the i devices to USB3 and started using faster flash. It's ridiculous they didn't - pure cost savings move (which incidentally is *not* passed on to the consumer in the form of lower prices)

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
I don't understand all the naysayers in here. The first iPod had FireWire and it made syncing incredibly fast. Apple switched to USB and started gaining market share (pc users). Apple has to keep USB on the iPods but I wouldn't be surprised to see a tb port appear next to the 30 pin connector - apple wants to spread this technology as far and as fast as possible. Pumping out millions of devices with it will make all pc makers put them on their computers.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
iPad2 --> 1st 'i' Device--no, ANY device--to use 10W USB charger

The original iPad also used a 10W USB charger.

When connected to a 'standard' 5W USB port, they would charge (very slowly) only if the screen was off.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I don't understand all the naysayers in here. The first iPod had FireWire and it made syncing incredibly fast. Apple switched to USB and started gaining market share (pc users). Apple has to keep USB on the iPods but I wouldn't be surprised to see a tb port appear next to the 30 pin connector - apple wants to spread this technology as far and as fast as possible. Pumping out millions of devices with it will make all pc makers put them on their computers.

Ummm, original firewire was 400mbps compared to USB 2.0 at 480mbps. Further, the hard drive and/or Flash memory used in iPods also is a bottle neck that everyone seems to forget about. Just because the interface has tons of bandwidth, doesn't mean you can write to the device any faster.

Case in point, Today's mechanical hard drives are now coming out with SATA3 connectors, but they still can't saturate a SATA2. That means that the data isn't going to move any faster than it did on SATA2.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Ummm, original firewire was 400mbps compared to USB 2.0 at 480mbps. Further, the hard drive and/or Flash memory used in iPods also is a bottle neck that everyone seems to forget about. Just because the interface has tons of bandwidth, doesn't mean you can write to the device any faster.

Case in point, Today's mechanical hard drives are now coming out with SATA3 connectors, but they still can't saturate a SATA2. That means that the data isn't going to move any faster than it did on SATA2.

Technically, the sustained transfer rate of FW400 is much greater than USB 2.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.