Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad 2 Case, Screen Proector, or Both?

• I'm going completely naked.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I'm going with just a screen protector.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm going with just a Smart Cover.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'm going with both the Smart Cover and screen protector...

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • I'm going with a case, not a Smart Cover.

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
So, I have the iPhone 4 with the HD film on it and I plan on getting the iPad 2 this Saturday. I know that I'm going to get a 32 G Wifi version, with one of the smart covers, but I'm not sure if I should get a screen protector also. So, you iPad owners, would you recommend a screen protector, a case/cover, both, or neither? I'm leaning toward both, but I'm not sure yet.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not a fan of the "Smart" Cover. It's all profit for Apple and no protection for the iPad. It's not a "wise" buy.

I'm looking hard at the Macally Bookstand. It's at least $10 less (MSRP is $30, but doubt it will street for that) and covers back and front.

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
I'm not a fan of the "Smart" Cover. It's all profit for Apple and no protection for the iPad. It's not a "wise" buy.

I'm looking hard at the Macally Bookstand. It's at least $10 less (MSRP is $30, but doubt it will street for that) and covers back and front.

I'm definitely going to want to get some hands-on time with the Smart Cover before I buy it. I'm really intrigued by how smooth it looks with the magnetic closures; I have to balance being a savvy shopper with my susceptibility to clever Apple marketing.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
After much debate and after changing my mind several times, I have decided to stay without a case or cover and just go naked. I will use a nice sleeve for it when I carry my iPad outside my home, but thats only for carrying it around. The cover is nice but the only real appeal of it is the folding stand. I generally don't needs stands that often though, I could always buy a portable one if I wanted.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Smart cover + clear shell protector for the back

I like the Smart Cover, but would hate to see the aluminum back getting all scratched, reason why I would also get a clear protector for the back.
I don't see the need for a screen protector. My current iPad never had one and doesn't have a single scratch on it, considering I take it everywhere including Job sites under constructions, etc. The cover does get dirty, but I always clean it later.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
FWIW I just received and email from Macally stating the Bookstand cover would be available on Friday. I'm guessing there will be a few other 3rd party cases on Friday too for those of us not impressed by the smart cover.

Frankydan100

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
Birmingham UK
I probably wont be taking it out of the house much so i dont bother getting a cover or ewt.

Suppose it all depends on how you plan to use it really, if its going to be travelling all over with in your bag and stuff then id get something that covers the whole ipad and not just the screen.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

I will have to "disagree".

I like the magnets, the front protection, the sheer minimalism, easy access to ports (add another plus if its able to use the dock with smart cover on), and the two angles as a stand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.