Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093555-hotspot_4_3_no_text.jpg

BGR reports that Apple is preparing to release iOS 4.3 today at the company's usual 1:00 PM Eastern / 10:00 Pacific timeframe for iOS releases. A release today would be a bit of a surprise, given that Apple announced last week that the update would launch on Friday alongside the iPad 2 debut. BGR does, however, have a strong track record of pinpointing iOS build numbers and releases.

Apple seeded the golden master version of iOS 4.3 to developers last Thursday.

Today's report also addresses the issue of personal hotspot device limitations, following considerable discussion around the fact that Apple's iOS 4.3 pages for some markets mention that users may only utilize the hotspot via Wi-Fi with up to three devices simultaneously, while pages for other markets place the limit at five devices.

According to BGR, iOS 4.3 supports three devices via Wi-Fi by default, but can support up to five if requested by carriers.

Article Link: Apple to Release iOS 4.3 Today? Personal Hotspot Device Limits Up to Carriers?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Maybe they are worried about taxing their networks too hard on Friday. Starting web orders, starting in store purchases AND iOS 4.3 release for multiple devices all on the same day was a little suicidal.

johneaston

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Thinking back over past software "updates", I wonder what 4.3 will stop my iPhone from doing...

Stelph

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Im a little confused with apples implementation of tethering (why cant they make it simple?)

So iOS 4.3 can tether devices via wifi, which is fine, but the US providers make it complicated by asking you to pay extra for the tethering? How do they stop you, is the option greyed out until you pay or something?

I am in the UK using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile UK so I am hoping this just works over here without any faff! 3 devices are plenty IMO, any more and your internet speed would crawl along, surely?

RADumas

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
what difference does it make?

What difference will it make if an ATT iPhone can share the cellular connection? It would be sharing a lousy data connection that one device can't use, much less three.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Wonder if this will affect buying decisions for some people.....since it will give people time to install and play before Friday.

From everything I've read, iOS 4.3 on the current iPad 1 makes everything feel faster. Safari JS performance is *almost* as fast as iOS 4.3 on the iPad 2. And you'll get all the new features like Airplay and home sharing.

I figure some people, especially those that don't do a lot of gaming, might install 4.3 and realize they don't need to upgrade to the iPad 2.

-Kevin

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Im a little confused with apples implementation of tethering (why cant they make it simple?)

So iOS 4.3 can tether devices via wifi, which is fine, but the US providers make it complicated by asking you to pay extra for the tethering? How do they stop you, is the option greyed out until you pay or something?

I am in the UK using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile UK so I am hoping this just works over here without any faff! 3 devices are plenty IMO, any more and your internet speed would crawl along, surely?

It won't just work. You'll have to pay the extra tethering charge.

tim0409

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010

I have the same set up (unlocked iPhone from Apple with Tmobile SIM) and whilst I can access the tethering option, when I try and connect my laptop it diverts to a tmobile paywall - I suspect the hotspot app will do the same thing unfortunately.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN

Tethering support has been a part of the iPhone for a couple of years now (the wi-fi hotspot is an extension to normal tethering) - they explained it back when it debuted. The short end of things - the carrier settings your phone gets from the provider determine weather or not you can see or use this feature. If you do not have a tethering plan, you phone will not show this feature.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I hope so, the quicker I can view videos on my iPod from my iMac the better!

thefu

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
Tethering sure complicates the purchase decision. Now I wonder if I want the 3G model or if I will just pay for tethering and get the option of using my iPad or my PC from work tethered. The only thing that would make me still go with 3G is if tethering via BT is really flaky or if there really is an actual GPS chip in the 3G model...nothing stated in any apple literature I can find...anyone on these two points?

Also, are there any GPS apps that can pull the GPS location from my iPhone into the iPad and display it on maps?

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
There was an update to Air Video that appeared yesterday, that said it only worked on iOS 4.3. I wondered if they knew something we didn't?

Optimus Frag

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2008
North Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well, at least I'm at work at that time. Hopefully the servers will have recovered a bit when I get home.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Great news, but is there any point in downloading it if you already have the 4.3 GM?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.

The implementation is as easy as cake, the problem is having the carriers assimilate it. I just don't understand the reason for the limits; considering the user pays for the data transferred, who cares if he tethers one or ten devices at the same time?

Also, why are the iPhone and iPad the target of this controversy? I have an HTC WinMo phone with T-Mobile for years, and it can tether Unlimited 3G to several devices at once, no extra Tethering fees, etc. Pain and simple. And I know some people who are able to do this on AT&T's network for a long time, free and legally.

Carriers see the iPhone as a Goldmine, and now try to exploit every single opportunity to make money, taxing every feature the users allow them to tax.
So instead of having prices improve (by going down) over time, we now ended up paying more for data than before.
Just as a recent example, AT&T's bait-and-switch Month-to-Month Unlimited Data Plan, a clever scam to sell tons of iPads and force users to pay every month to avoid loosing their Unlimited Plan.
Great business strategy for them, but not great at all for the end users.
Now look at Verizon's pricing. Even higher than AT&T, just because we allow them.
How can we force the to bring their prices down?

And considering that in some areas, AT&T's 3G service performs as slow as a dial-up modem, rendering it useless to use LogMeIn, and other apps that require the promised bandwidth improvement of 3G, they should be more concerned with making the service work properly.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
What difference will it make if an ATT iPhone can share the cellular connection? It would be sharing a lousy data connection that one device can't use, much less three.

AT&T's data on 3G has always been good and now that we have a Verizon iPhone we are seeing more reports supporting this. In my own personal experience AT&T data rivals some people's home internet speeds here in the US (a sad state for sure). Still, I think the issue isn't their speed, but rather in some spots IF you can get a signal.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
Works well with Rogers In Canada

Been running 4.3 for a few days, and personal hotspot work great on the Rogers network in Canada. A little bit of latency, but at least 3 Mbps down and almost 1 Mbps up.. Excellent feature. Takes away the requirement for a 3G iPad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.