Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories

Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:02 AM   #1
macachia
macrumors regular

ipad 2 compatible with the ipad (1) keyboard dock?

Hi, any idea if the ipad 2 will be compatible with the ipad (1) keyboard dock?

Cheers!
macachia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:32 PM   #2
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macachia View Post
Hi, any idea if the ipad 2 will be compatible with the ipad (1) keyboard dock?

Cheers!
My (semi-educated) guess, would be yes. However, should you use it - no. The Apple store lists a new iPad 2 dock (coming soon) so I'm guessing a new keyboard dock will be coming soon as well. My concern would be the weight of the iPad would snap off or damage the connector. Not really an issue with a light/small iPhone (using the universal dock), but with a heavier/larger iPad, not worth the risk IMHO.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 01:06 PM   #3
ecschwarz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdiddy View Post
The Apple store lists a new iPad 2 dock (coming soon) so I'm guessing a new keyboard dock will be coming soon as well.
I think Apple is getting away from the keyboard dock - they have photos of the new regular dock, but no mention of the keyboard dock at all. I think Apple wants people to move to dock + bluetooth keyboard instead (can they map the F-keys then?)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek but knowing Apple they probably chipped the iPad 2 so it wouldn't work with any iPad 1 dock accessories. I wouldn't be shocked to see reports of people complaining about getting a "this accessory is not compatible with the iPad 2 device" nag.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Accessories