Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Mar 8, 2011, 02:45 PM   #1
cathexist
macrumors newbie

Clear Background Apps

...I guess I'm not really looking for an answer and I'm making more of a complaint...but I wish there was a way to clear out all apps "running" in the background on the iPhone 4.

My wife took my iPhone to the apple store today to have them check out the GPS accuracy, and they said it may not be working because of too many open applications...which is bull anyway.

I don't really feel like hitting the minus button on 40 apps after a weeks use on the phone.
cathexist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:05 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

You can restart it and it will clear them all.
Or if you were JB you could install RemoveBG and it would clear them all with one touch.
But I dont believe the BS they told her that the GPS chip is not working because of that
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:16 PM   #3
cathexist
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You can restart it and it will clear them all.
Or if you were JB you could install RemoveBG and it would clear them all with one touch.
But I dont believe the BS they told her that the GPS chip is not working because of that
Yeah, as soon as my wife told me that I immediately called BS on the phone. According to apple on previous occasions, the majority those apps aren't even really "running" and are "recently used apps"

FYI, a restart doesn't even clear them all.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexist View Post
Yeah, as soon as my wife told me that I immediately called BS on the phone. According to apple on previous occasions, the majority those apps aren't even really "running" and are "recently used apps"

FYI, a restart doesn't even clear them all.
Really?
After a restart you still see apps there in the task bar?
Anything besides the defaults, phone, mail etc...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 03:55 PM   #5
cathexist
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Really?
After a restart you still see apps there in the task bar?
Anything besides the defaults, phone, mail etc...
Yep, just to double check I opened a bunch of apps and then reset the phone...all were still in the task bar when it started back up.

I'm hoping they implement some sort of optional limit on how many apps it remembers in the "recently used apps" cause regardless of what some people say, there is a big difference in memory when I clear them all out.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Wow, that does suck.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 05:23 PM   #7
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wow, that does suck.
Yeah, that's the way it's always worked on the iPhones my wife and I have. Even a hard reset wont clear them, which I always thought was strange, but that seems to be the way it works. I used to clear them daily, but I just don't worry about them anymore, I let iOS clear them if it needs to. I can't tell one bit of difference in the performance, if I have 5 or 50 in there.
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 08:18 AM   #8
cathexist
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMB View Post
Yeah, that's the way it's always worked on the iPhones my wife and I have. Even a hard reset wont clear them, which I always thought was strange, but that seems to be the way it works. I used to clear them daily, but I just don't worry about them anymore, I let iOS clear them if it needs to. I can't tell one bit of difference in the performance, if I have 5 or 50 in there.
I don't notice a difference often...but it seems like there is one to me sometimes. I clear them out and it starts working faster again. As I said, hopefully there will be some sort of limitation on the "recently used apps" even it it limited it to 10-15.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting