Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Are there any programs out there that will allow me to backup my entire bootcamp drive? I did hear of winclone but sounds like the developer is no longer.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are many packages to choose from. The easiest one is windows backup, which is built into the OS, and let's you choose which files to backup or the entire partition. You can also schedule weekly backups. A couple other programs include norton ghost and acronis true image. If you want to backup to a server, you can use ghost solutions suite.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
All of vistadude's options run under Windows, and FWIW Acronis True Image requires the "Plus Pack" to deal with GPT partitioned drives and they do not support the software on Macs.

http://clonezilla.org/ is a general purpose imaging software that will require you to boot from a CD or USB.

If you want to backup from OS X, there really are no other options besides Winclone. It does still work well.

B

juck

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
ottawa
clone soft does give you a hand

Hi tbluhp, I would like to say some disk copy softs or backup softs with clone feature could backup my entire bootcamp drive.
For disk copy software, that's an instant backup
for backup soft, you can restore the image at any time.
I've never used clonezillar, so sorry for no useful comment.
Only used disk copy and todo backup. Hope my suggestion could give you a hand.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
Easus todo backup

FWIW, the Easus todo backup works fine (from Windows XP Pro) on my virtual setup tied to BootCamp (VMware,) but when I tried it directly from BootCamp it wouldn't work. I agree with tbluhp, I wish there were something to replace winclone which now doesn't work for me.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
FWIW, the Easus todo backup works fine (from Windows XP Pro) on my virtual setup tied to BootCamp (VMware,) but when I tried it directly from BootCamp it wouldn't work. I agree with tbluhp, I wish there were something to replace winclone which now doesn't work for me.

I suspect that has something to do with the way that VMWare will present its own partition table to the VM, which is not the physical GPT/MBR partition table.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.