Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I went the route of using eBay's Instant Sale to sell my iPad 32GB WIFI instead of going the traditional route.

The way it works, you go to their site (do a search on Google), put in the specs of your item and it gives you an instant price quote. If you like the quote, they email you a FedEx shipping label and you ship out your item, they pay the shipping.

I got a quote of $362 on Thursday last week and sent out the iPad on Friday. They received it today about noon then the status showed it was being inspected. About 7pm, I got an email that the money had been deposited into my account. :)

One question I had was if their quote was the total I'd get or if any fees, like Paypal fees, would get deducted and there were no fees...the quote is the actual amount you get deposited.

Now $362 may seem low, but I did the math vs selling on eBay normally and I would of had to get around $425 + shipping to net the same amount after eBay and Paypal fees. This was a lot easier, no waiting for the auction to end and no risk of not getting paid or scammed by the buyer.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Glad it worked out for you. Better than those Gazelle people doing the whole bait-and-switch thing.

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Seems like a good alternative. Going to use it for my two 64GB iPads right now.

One thing--how can you confirm the condition & accessories you selected? The selections were not in the confirmation email.

I elected to keep my power adapter as it made only a small difference in the price. The original Apple adapter and usb cable are worth more to me for future use with my Ipad 2.

Tycoonguy

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2007
Local Apple Store
I sold my 16GB Wi-Fi for $372 on Monday.

Looks like it's going to arrive there tomorrow. I'm praying they have time to look at it and send payment before friday. I'm planning on using my paypal debit card anyway. So I don't have to worry about transferring the money.

firteen888

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2008
I didn't even know this existed. Is there any downside to selling directly to ebay? They are offering me $421.00 for my 64gb wifi ipad, which is about the average price that one is selling for on ebay anyway. Seems easier than going through the auction process, having to wait a week, and shipping to a stranger.

Tycoonguy

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2007
Local Apple Store
I didn't even know this existed. Is there any downside to selling directly to ebay? They are offering me $421.00 for my 64gb wifi ipad, which is about the average price that one is selling for on ebay anyway. Seems easier than going through the auction process, having to wait a week, and shipping to a stranger.

So far the only downside I've seen is you have to wait for payment.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
It must really depend on what item you're trying to sell. I never knew about this and was curious, so I just plugged in the info for the Macbook Air I sold a few months back. Their offer was $394, a bit lower than the $900 I sold it for.

It seems like they need to develop the spec questionnaire more thoroughly. The only thing they asked me for was processor speed, condition, and if I was including the charger. They had no clue if it was a SSD model, the capacity of hard drive, RAM, etc.

But I definitely see it as being a viable option if their offer is close to going rates. Its much better than dealing with fees, shipping, and scammers.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
So far the only downside I've seen is you have to wait for payment.

It's no different than waiting for your auction to end...and with that, you still have to wait for the winning bidder to pay you via Paypal, which sometimes they take their sweet time with.

mathewr

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
@HXGuy

did u notice if the offer was from alltechwholesale? it offered me 401 for my 32 gb wifi/3g yesterday.

Thanks

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
Me too. Thought maybe it was a mistake (given the eBay instant sale ad says "sell your ipad for up to $450"). Either way, it's comparable to selling it for $600 on eBay with buyer shipping. Not bad.

jeshepard

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
Yes, I got $551 for my 64GB ipad with 3G today through eBay Instant Sale.

How was your quality? I have a very small nick in the aluminum back (barely noticeable), and I was wondering if it would still qualify for the top tier price?

robby818

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
Does anyone else think that $550 net for a 3G iPad 64GB is a pretty decent deal?

I think it's fair if they actually pay that amount. If you go through the various condition selections, the value drops significantly. My one concern with this type of service is that they will use almost any excuse to not give you the top price. Fortunately, it seems that they will ship the item back to you at their cost if you disagree with their assessment. I sent mine in yesterday. Will report back on my experience.

On a side note, I used the Gazelle service once to get rid of a seven year old 20" LCD that weighed like 25 lbs. Could not sell it. Shipping alone made it a deal killer. But Costco was doing some sort of promotion and I got $50 in costco credit. Gazelle probably wasn't happy about paying for the shipping on that beast. I priced other electronics at gazelle and it was not anywhere near what I wanted so I have not used it since.

I wonder where they are re-selling these iPads to make it worth paying $550 for a 64GB 3G, must be out of country.

UPDATE: They paid the full amount of $551.18 for my iPad 3g 64GB. I had a small dent in the back so they either overlooked it or didn't notice. Anyways, very happy with the price as I got no serious offers on Craigslist despite listing for $550.

Last edited:

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
So just got my offer, I have a 16GB WIFI+3G (1st gen)really great shape. I didnt expect tons of money I got offered $280.50 which is fair, I suppose.

I just wanted to test the service, I love my iPad (1 gen) too much.

Last edited:

tonydi

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I would caution anyone thinking of using Instant Sale to think twice about other options.

I sent in my PRISTINE 3GS with everything originally included and when AllTech Wholesale got it they claimed it was "in used cosmetic condition: Scratches or blemishes to its exterior can be readily seen without close inspection. The exterior housing of the unit has sustained mild, normal wear." Except my phone was perfect, not even ONE mark, scratch, blemish, ding or even a spec of dust!

AllTech's CSR insisted that no matter how much I complained, they would NEVER review my case and live up to the original offer. She said it in such a way as to make me believe this was a normal "technique" of theirs.

All efforts to get a supervisor from AllTech to call me back have been useless. Ditto for anyone from eBay, apparently they just don't want to discuss this situation. I've been to eBay hdqtrs and nobody will come out to talk to me, they just hide behind their voicemail. I showed the phone to the eBay security guards and they even used the word SCAM when they saw the condition.

I guess if it looks like a scam, walks like a scam, talks like a scam and smells like a scam....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.