Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Ok, so I'm sure we all hate it when we open a new tab or window and it starts playing some stupid ad, music, or whatever. Well, how do I mute it? I don't care if the video plays, it's not effecting performance, but I don't want to hear the sound.

The only solution I found was Chrome Toolbox which has a lot of other useless functions I don't need or want and also requires access to all data on your computer and all websites you visit, which I'm definitely not going to do.

From my reading I found that Vista/7 has the capability to mute specific applications, why not OSX? And why not Chrome itself?

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
Type chrome://flags into address bar and search for Enable tab audio muting UI control, enable it and relaunch the chrome, you should be able to mute it by clicking on the little speaker icon on the tab when audio content is present on the tab.

I apologise, I didn't notice the date. I've no idea how I come upon to such an old post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.