Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Xcode 4 to Developers, Coming Soon to Mac App Store for $4.99

Apple today updated its Xcode information page to note that Xcode 4 is now officially available free of charge for all registered members of the company's iOS and Mac Developer Programs. Interestingly, it appears that non-members will have the option to purchase Xcode through the Mac App Store, although the listing does not yet appear to be active. Pricing appears to be set at $4.99 for non-members.
Quote:
Xcode 4 is the new version of Apple's powerful integrated development environment for creating great apps for Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Xcode 4 includes the Xcode IDE, Instruments, iOS Simulator, and the latest Mac OS X and iOS SDKs.

Xcode 4 has a streamlined new interface that integrates UI design, coding, testing, and debugging, all within a single window. The embedded Apple LLVM compiler underlines coding mistakes as you type, and is even smart enough to fix the problems for you automatically.
Apple gave developers the first glimpse at Xcode for at WWDC 2010 last June, and has released a number of updates to the software since that time. Apple seeded a golden master version of Xcode 4 in early February, and followed that up with a revised golden master alongside the iOS 4.3 golden master just last week.

Article Link: Apple Releases Xcode 4 to Developers, Coming Soon to Mac App Store for $4.99
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2
NebulaClash
macrumors 68000

More developers is a good thing. The more this XCode is available, the more people will try it out and see it's a very nice development environment. That's good for Apple.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:54 PM   #3
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Cool.

Might be worth $4.99 just to try out experimental iOS features like the iPad gestures.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Wow. Xcode 4 is the buggiest piece of GM Apple software I've ever used. And when my code does something strange, I'm not an experienced enough developer to know if something is my fault or the fault of the IDE (Developer forums seem to concur on how buggy it is, crashing doing simple things like copying and pasting, etc. Some people went as far to suggest Apple should start over!).

Since they're releasing it, maybe they know something I don't - who knows maybe some rogue preference somewhere that only some people have lying around makes it unstable. I guess I'll have to try using it on a clean install of Mac OS X to make sure that's not the case.
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:54 PM   #5
jav6454
macrumors G5

Not bad.... I just wonder what people will do with these tools now. If we get today's great iPhone apps as hobbies, imagine for the Mac.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6

i thought xcode was free??
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:56 PM   #7
iBug2
macrumors 68040

I've been using XCode 4 for a while now, haven't seen any crashes so far but it's useless on many open source projects I try to compile.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
It was.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:56 PM   #9
sza
macrumors regular

Apple starts to charge for using everything...
sza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Stella
macrumors 603

I'm looking forward to XCode 4.. XCode 3 is fairly buggy, and lacked many features that I'd expect from a modern IDE, but still, a vast improvement from its predecessor ( before XCode )

XCode 3 is particularly annoying - especially when having IB open - 101+ windows.

Its a shame Apple think they have to charge for it, considering all others were free - but at least its only $4.99 and not more. At least Mac developer members get it for free, considering they've paid $99. I hope in the future Apple don't restrict this to Mac Developer members...

If XCode 4 lives up to what Apple have written, it looks like its going to be great.

Last edited by Stella; Mar 9, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Stella is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:57 PM   #11
macklos
macrumors member

It is now available on the Mac App Store

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id422352214?mt=12
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Fraaaa
macrumors 65816

I never rate negative, but this time it deserve it. Xcode free for non developer is a must.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Quote:
Those were the days.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:58 PM   #14
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcrayon View Post
Wow. Xcode 4 is the buggiest piece of GM Apple software I've ever used. And when my code does something strange, I'm not an experienced enough developer to know if something is my fault or the fault of the IDE (Developer forums seem to concur on how buggy it is, crashing doing simple things like copying and pasting, etc. Some people went as far to suggest Apple should start over!).

Since they're releasing it, maybe they know something I don't - who knows maybe some rogue preference somewhere that only some people have lying around makes it unstable. I guess I'll have to try using it on a clean install of Mac OS X to make sure that's not the case.
Well, since they're only releasing it today, it was before now, by definition, not release software. Therefore it's not surprising there are bugs. I'm asking you how you can make a judgement on this software yet.

And what's with the $5?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:59 PM   #15
madrag
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBug2 View Post
It was.
I voted negative, it was free indeed and gave the opportunity to more will-be developers to try it out and make software, myself included.
madrag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:00 PM   #16
kinless
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to kinless
Is anyone else getting an "Access Denied" page when you go to click on the download link?

(Yes, I'm a paid member)
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:02 PM   #17
addicted44
macrumors 6502

XCode will probably be like iLife. Free with a new mac, and you get regular updates. But a major upgrade will cost.

Not a big deal, because unlike iLife, Xcode switches major versions every few years.

That being said, I don't understand why Apple would charge for it. Makes no sense. They will probably bring in a few thousand dollars in revenue at best (since its free to folks on fhte Mac/iOS dev programs).
addicted44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:03 PM   #18
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrag View Post
I voted negative, it was free indeed and gave the opportunity to more will-be developers to try it out and make software, myself included.
Maybe they spent a lot on this release with including LLVM compiler and all, so they felt like they deserved some fee. Or they are greedy.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:04 PM   #19
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I thought so too. It comes as an optional install on your osX disc ?
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:04 PM   #20
ckelley
macrumors regular

I don't get the hate for the $5 download. If you're interested, it's $5. Less than a combo meal from a fast food restaurant. If you're serious about it, you're going to become an ADC member anyways to get full access to all that it offers, which is only $99 a year.

And if you ARE an ADC Member, it's free. So...
ckelley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #21
Detektiv-Pinky
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Wow, this is getting ridiculous.
I want a compiler on my Unix machine, why do they think I switched from Windows?

I only ever use gcc and FileMerge, can I get them some other way than by installing Xcode?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #22
Stella
macrumors 603

Purchased and downloading now...
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:05 PM   #23
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

It's a bit of a shame to charge $5, but I suspect it's only for people who want the next version. It will probably come free with new Macs as it always has.
I also wonder if it's only free for paid developer accounts because, as it stands, I'm on the free one.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:06 PM   #24
IMPMAC
macrumors member

Yes it cost money but if you are a developer then you should not mind. I don't

But I would prefer if it was cheap, at the end of the day, free is awesome.

Question is, what happens to XCode 3 if you get XCode 4? Does it get replaced?
Old Mar 9, 2011, 02:08 PM   #25
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816

There are free levels to both iOS and Mac developer programs. I don't see anything in the announcement disqualifying these members (although I haven't read anything other than the OP yet).
PBG4 Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion