Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I never jailbroken my iphone4. Updated my itunes and iOS 4.3 as per normal, but now I'm stuck in recovery mode with the itunes logo and cable icon on my iphone 4. Now it's saying "itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iphone before it can be used". Wtf ??

Any help would be greatful !!

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
No never

I'm on my work laptop. I've used tinyumbrella on my home PC but it was on my iphone 3G, not iphone 4

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I never jailbroken my iphone4. Updated my itunes and iOS 4.3 as per normal, but now I'm stuck in recovery mode with the itunes logo and cable icon on my iphone 4. Now it's saying "itunes has detected an iphone in recovery mode. You must restore this iphone before it can be used". Wtf ??

Any help would be greatful !!

Hit Restore.

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Sorry don't know how to check hosts file

I just hit restore and update as that's the only thing i can do at the moment >_< ggrrr

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Just did it. At the end of the restore, error 3014 popped up. Could the update file have been corrupted or something ?

Last resort is DFU mode it ?

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Tried that - other 2 USB ports did not work. I am reinstalling the driver via "Device Manager". Using Windows 7 64 bit.

Edit: Nope didnt work wtf

RonnieBarlow

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
How to Fix Error Code 1013:

Mac OS X:

Step 1 : Go to your “Applications” folder
Step 2 : Go to your “Utilities” folder
Step 3 : Launch “Terminal”
Step 4 : Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit return
Step 5 : Enter your password
Step 6 : Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” (no quotes) in front of the text.
Step 7 : Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O on the keyboard
Step 8 : Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X on the keyboard
Step 9 : Restore your iDevice

Windows:
Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In “files of type:” select all documents
Step 6. Open “hosts”
Step 7. Delete all line that has “gs.apple.com” or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device.

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Tried to restore via DFU mode. Now my apple device is not recognized in device manager, can't locate driver..

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Windows:
Step 6. Open “hosts”
Step 8. Hit Save

No apple in hosts file

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza

Mac OS X:

Step 1 : Go to your “Applications” folder
Step 2 : Go to your “Utilities” folder
Step 3 : Launch “Terminal”
Step 4 : Type “sudo nano /etc/hosts” (without quotes) and hit return
Step 5 : Enter your password
Step 6 : Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” (no quotes) in front of the text.
Step 7 : Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O on the keyboard
Step 8 : Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X on the keyboard
Step 9 : Restore your iDevice

Windows:
Step 6. Open “hosts”
Step 8. Hit Save

This won't work. Because it is not that error. Did you even read the error before giving out instructions? Error 1013 is Baseband mismatch related. And even then, this will not work.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I had the same problem. Tried it on another computer and it worked. I have tiny umbrella on the computer it wouldn't work on, but was not trying to use it. Any ideas. How do I get rid of this tiny umbrella b.s. from my computer. It doesn't show up in the add remove programs in windows

chiggah

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
I had the same problem. Tried it on another computer and it worked. I have tiny umbrella on the computer it wouldn't work on, but was not trying to use it. Any ideas. How do I get rid of this tiny umbrella b.s. from my computer. It doesn't show up in the add remove programs in windows

It worked now ? As in you are able to update to 4.3 ?

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
It worked now ? As in you are able to update to 4.3 ?

Yes on the second computer. My phone was jailbroken on 4.01, I updated last month to 4.2.1 and tried to preserve the baseband with tiny umbrella but I had the same problem with the 1013 error and the phone eventually updated someone including the baseband. I tried to update to 4.3 today without using tiny umbrella and got the errors. I just want to remove tiny umbrella from my computer but can't figure out how. I just can't get that program to work correctly and it is messing up itunes somehow.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
If this was a "big" issue it would be spread everywhere. I updated an iPhone 4, 3GS, ATV2 and iPad to 4.3 without issue.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
In my case it may have something to do with my prior jailbreak and the fact the I have never set up my phone as new since the first iphone. I have had various jailbreaks and unlocks along the way. However, it didn't start happening until I tried to use tinyumbrella so it is related to that somehow.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm having this exact problem, very annoying since it's never even been jailbroken. The only non-official thing I've ever done with it was install the 4.1 (or 4.2) GM a few days before the release. I had to use TinyUmbrella back then to get it working and updated, and seem to recall having to resort to that gs.apple.com fix.

Tried everything now, even tried going back to 4.2.1 but no luck. Very pissed off indeed, gonna give up for tonight, and I hope some kind soul will offer a solution when I get up tomorrow :(

I thought I may have stumbled across a fix in the latest TinyUmbrella - there appears to be option to fix the 10XX issue specifically by entering DFU mode, then using "Fix Recovery" but it's always greyed out. *sigh*

Wish I'd never even bothered, especially now it looks like the ****'s at o2 are charging for personal hotspot - they want me to pay EXTRA for their pathetic 3G coverage, which I already could have done via tethering? They can **** right off, moving carrier when my contracts up, I;ve had enough of them.

edit: Just to clarify, I've tried restoring every which way, rebooting, different usb ports, that gs.apple.com thing, pfffffft!

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My computer does not have TinyUmbrella installed (mac) and 4.3 works perfect. my Gf does have it installed and her phone is stuck too...very weird.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Working now, using said method editing hosts file. Weird how it didn't work first time but, 90 minutes later, phone now working. I need to go to bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.