Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
For the factory unlocked iPhone 4s on T-Mobile USA, will the personal hotspot settings appear after updating to iOS 4.3?

I'm on a factory unlocked 3GS so I know the option won't ever appear for me, but I was considering upgrading to a factory-unlocked 4 if the option appears. Yeah I know it'll always be EDGE, but T-Mobile USA iPhone users are pretty content with their unlimited EDGE data for $5-$10/month.

monaura

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I have factory unlocked iPhone 4 and I'm using t-mobile carrier. I just downloaded iOS 4.3 today, but unfortunately there is no personal hotspot option in Settings.

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Lol I hope none of u guys are paying tmobile the 24.99 to be on edge using the iphone, i'd get an android, root and get free mobile hotspot.

Steve Z1

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
On my factory unlocked iphone 3gs "personal hotspot" has replaced internet tethering. The settings stayed there, and the personal settings says "now discoverable other users can look for a shared network using bluetooth under the name xxxx"

I thought I was supposed to get a a shared wifi network?

Anyway I'm glad I did not loose tethering and maybe over time others will have more info.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
On my factory unlocked iphone 3gs "personal hotspot" has replaced internet tethering. The settings stayed there, and the personal settings says "now discoverable other users can look for a shared network using bluetooth under the name xxxx"

I thought I was supposed to get a a shared wifi network?

Anyway I'm glad I did not loose tethering and maybe over time others will have more info.

No wifi tethering on the 3GS, just for iphone 4.
I wonder what kind of hotspot one would create with 2G speeds and then have more than 1 device try to connect and tether:D
Wake me up when the page loads.......

michaelsbegay

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
I have an iPhone 4 factory-unlocked and I upgraded to iOS 4.3 today as well. The Personal Hotspot option is enabled for me and works perfectly, despite the speeds being limited by the fact that it's EDGE.

For the factory unlocked iPhone 4s on T-Mobile USA, will the personal hotspot settings appear after updating to iOS 4.3?

I'm on a factory unlocked 3GS so I know the option won't ever appear for me, but I was considering upgrading to a factory-unlocked 4 if the option appears. Yeah I know it'll always be EDGE, but T-Mobile USA iPhone users are pretty content with their unlimited EDGE data for $5-$10/month.

mr.dw

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
it works!

hey i just totally accidentally made this work!
personal hotspot on tmobile usa on 'Unlimited Talk, Text, 100MB data' pay monthly plan (so yes, i obviously won't really even be using it) on factory unlocked iPhone 4
here's how -
Settings >
General >
Network >
Cellular Data Network >
under Internet Tethering put this as the APN - internet2.voicestream.com
leave Username & Password blank
then went back to Network and Personal Hotspot showed up in there! and then in main Settings page too.
i tried it and it totally works. over Wi-fi
now only if i had more data and 3g this may be useful. but actually it loaded news.google.com pretty fast on my macbook pro

Attachments

• Photo on 2011-03-10 at 00.16.jpg
    Photo on 2011-03-10 at 00.16.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
Lol I hope none of u guys are paying tmobile the 24.99 to be on edge using the iphone, i'd get an android, root and get free mobile hotspot.

I think most people who have iPhones on T-mobile are doing it to save money (myself included), so they wouldn't be paying $24.99 when there are unlimited data plans that work just fine:
$5 "T-zones" -- must be grandfathered in
$10 Unlimited Web -- EDGE only

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.