Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
I have iMac with Snow Leopard.

I have been using "Preview" for the first time (In my past life I only would have used Photoshop) since "Preview" is the automatic default for image editing on the iMac and has some nice features.

Problem #1 (serious enough)

When opening an existing image file and saving to a new location, preview saves them as an image created "December 31, 1903". And then adds a modification date that is "current". This doesn't look too good to my clients who want an image that has not been modified. And I don't think any of us were around in 1903??

Problem #2 (even more serious)

If I open a photoshop .tif in "Preview" and click on adjust image size, it will retain the original image size upon opening--as it should because I haven't told it to change the size yet.

However....when I open a jpg in "Preview," and click on "adjust image size" it automatically downsizes the image size like from, for example, 10MB to 2MB even though I didn't tell it to change anything.

I didn't notice this was happening at first and have already lost some irreplaceable high-res images created by my camera just by opening and closing files in "Preview" to have a look and/or to make adjustments other than file size.

This is a serious problem because "Preview" is automatically reducing the file size of my original master image files created by my camera. When they are closed, they have been automatically downsized and I am losing the high-res originals.

Help please. Are these bugs? If so, an update can't happen soon enough.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Problem 1: I can open an image, save it to a new location and the created and modified fields are of today.

Problem 2: Where is the "adjust image size" in Preview? The only options I see that alternate the picture or change the views are:

"Zoom to fit", "Actual Size", "Zoom In", "Zoom Out" and "Crop".

Clicking on any of those options doesn't not permanently alter the image in any way.

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
Screen shot

Thanks.

I haven't learned how to do screen shots yet.

Please advise or I'll try to figure it out.

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
Got the screenshot on the downsizing problem. How do I get the screenshot into this window?

The "adjust size" is under the "tools" menu.

Okay now I have screenshots of both issues. But I haven't figured out how to get them here into this window. They don't seem to just drag. How to attach?

https://forums.macrumors.com/attach...nt.php?attachmentid=275210&stc=1&d=1299734562

Not sure if I am doing this correctly, but I did discover the paperclip.

Okay, the screen shot on the left is the downsizing issue. I went to the Preview Menu Bar/Tools/Adjust Size.
But I didn't adjust the size.

Still at the bottom, you can see my 10.3MB file is now 4MB.

This seems only to happen to jpgs. I can close and it won't change, but if I made any other changes (even if not clicking in this box) and click "save" or "save as", poof! my image is downsized.

This doesn't seem to happen with .tif files if I keep them as .tif files.

But I frequently change .tifs to .jpgs for various reasons, but also want to keep the high-res.

Also, all my camera images are .jpgs and they are now my master files and I don't want them downsizing.

The screenshot on the right shows the first issue problem. Saving a file from a folder to the desktop always gets me the creation date you see here: Dec. 31, 1903 4PM.

????????????????????

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the iMac thread or the software thread.

But it is new iMac/System X.6.4 with preloaded Preview 5.0.2.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.02.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.02.54 PM.png
    314 KB · Views: 191
  • Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.12.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.12.17 PM.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
For the creation error, open another program (any) and try to save something and see if that happens. If it does, it might have to do something with your system.

I'm still playing around with the resizing...

UPDATE:

In that screenshot, what was the original resolution of the photo?

UPDATE 2: Ok I see what you're saying. What's happening is Preview is using the last file type saved when calculating the new size. So if your original photo was .png and the last file saved was a .jpeg, the new file size is reflecting the .jpeg file not the original image file. The change isn't final until you save (obviously) so I want to ask, if you're just previewing them just to see what you're looking at, why are you saving them?

Last edited:

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
I can open in Photoshop and save onto desktop and the creation date is correct: today.

This only happens and consistently happens with Preview.

Why would I choose "save" or "save as" in preview???

It's supposed to be an image handling/editing program. I might want to move it to a different place. I might want to adjust brightness/contrast/sharpening.

I damn sure don't want to lose/change my resolution unless I tell it to.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Im curious... If you have Photoshop why are you using Preview to edit your images?

If I was a client and found out your doing that i wouldn't want to pay much at all.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Well now you know why it's doing what it's doing (except for the date error). Like the poster above said, I don't know why you would use Preview to do any editing if you have Photoshop. My suggestion is that if you're going to forget that you saved files in different formats in Preview, start using Photoshop as your default to keep your files the same.

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
So, everyone be forewarned. Apple will give you preview as your default image opening application but DON'T USE IT!

Hopefully, someone will come up with some fixes.

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
I thought I could use Preview to open images, move them around, save them to client files (after importing them to desktop from camera and/or scanning slides and editing in Photoshop).

It's easy enough to use Preview to resize an image (by choice) for sending by E-mail or something unimportant.

The problem is that in the process Preview is destroying the master files by changing the "create" dates and worst of all by automatically downsizing jpgs (masters from the camera) without warning. It doesn't do this with tifs.

These are issues with Preview that need to be fixed. Faulting someone for using a program provided by Apple and set by Apple as the default file for handling images is not particularly helpful.

mjsmke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
UK
Just create some actions in Photoshop to resize for emails or sample images. Then if you need to send several just batch process them.

You can also select Photoshop to be the default image viewer if you want to.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i dont know where your cration date problem comes from i tried it out of curiosity on my iMac core duo running snow leopard and preview is setting the correct date of today for both create and modified dates ,i usually do these things under tiger

and go under "view" deselect automatically resize
and you got some options under preferences in preview how you will see the initial pic, preview works allright , its not offering as much options as photoshop , but for general consumer use its fine
and for your date problem normally the mac takes the creation date from your input device (the camera or such things)

Last edited:

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
mjsmke

I know how to use Photoshop. This thread is about Preview and its defects that need fixing. Preview is designed to preview, rename, move, organize images. It should do so with proper dates and resize only when told to do so.

I'm posting to warn others. And I'm posting so that Apple may consider fixing.

Preview is Apple's default image opening app. It should work properly. I've called Apple. Their engineers are working on it.

machampster68

Automatically resize is not selected. It does not automatically resize .tifs only .jpgs

It is making December 31, 1903 4PM as creation date no matter when or where files originated from, old .tifs created in photoshop from slide scans or brand new .jpgs created with new digital camera.

I don't expect Preview to do what Photoshop does. I expect Preview to do what Preview is supposed to do.

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi akmk,
the 'Preview' is build-in Apple's application for 'previewing', NOT for using as a commercial application (something like 'Paint' in winXP).
I think you expecting too much from this (free) program...

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
Hi Stan. I only expect Preview to do what Apple says it should do--Preview, sort, delete, save, move, minimal editing or editing for non-commercial purposes.

NOT make 1903 "create" dates. NOT automatically resize without it being told to. NOT destroy master image files by doing the above tasks it is supposed to be able to do.

Cheers.

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi again,
there must be something wrong with your iMac settings.
I just opened a screen shot I took on Jan. 25th (.png) & converted it to .jpeg just now & you can see that the dates are correct:
(Click on thumbnail to enlarge)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-10 at 10.41.31 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-10 at 10.41.31 PM.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 96

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i still dont get where your date 1903 comes from , as preview on my iMac core duo change definitely the date according the actual time it was created like its supposed to do , so something is effecting your iMac's time keeping , cant be a pram battery as that would create a date in 1970 as far as i know from my iMac G3 (the youngest in need of a Pram battery after 10 years ) so it has to be something in your settings thats wrong
edit
after googling a little bit it has something to do with iDisc and fat files systems and windows , sorry was not patient enough to investigate further as there are many different postings about that issue turning up at on google , but maybe someone can bring light into your time tunnel who had that problem and solved it

Last edited:

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
True, there is obviously something wrong. That's why I posted here.

You likely have different systems/software versions.

Nobody has yet come up with a solution for my situation yet. Not even senior Apple Tech support. Still working on it.

In the meantime, some folks might need to be forewarned and careful when using Apple imaging software so as to not lose their master high-res originals.

But if anyone has any idea what should be set differently on my iMac, please chime in with the ideas.

For now, I claim bugs that need to be fixed.

I'll repeat and elaborate on my own system--very new--which is often where new bugs creep in:

new iMac 21.5"/System X.6.4 with preloaded Preview 5.0.2.
3.2 GHZ Intel Core i3, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 1T hard drive

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
10.6.4 is not up to date so is preview 5.0.2 ,
update your system immediately ,we are at 10.6.6 and preview is on 5.0.3

so just click that little :apple: on the top left and then software update , and dont stop updating before you get told no updates available any more

and the bug is old , i seen posts of that issue dating back years and most times people had windows installed or hdd's with fat system either as partition or connected to their mac's , maybe a coincident ,
a easy solution would be if i would be you to format the iMac and start from scratch , then update everything and then start working with the iMac , a procedure i recommend to anybody who buy's a Mac , just as precaution ,
even at apple problems with the original install can happen, and that problem could carry over through all system updates
there had been issues before with the original install affecting speed and such things and a new fresh install did solve it

and as your system is brandnew , you should not have to many data on it to save , but if then save it to a disc , ignore time machine for that matter now , just in case you transfer the problem via time machine again , but use time machine after the fresh install

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi,
I'm on 10.6.5 and Preview 5.0.1 (don't want the 'Apple Store' stuck in my OS X...)
I just de-installed the 10.7 {Lion Development ver.} ➛ too many things don't work there yet.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Hi,
I'm on 10.6.5 and Preview 5.0.1 (don't want the 'Apple Store' stuck in my OS X...)
I just de-installed the 10.7 {Lion Development ver.} ➛ too many things don't work there yet.

not really a good solution not to update , because of bug fixes and security holes , not to mention java updates ...nothing really you would ever need , but some do need a up to date system
and removing the app store if you really dont like it is possible , apple just thinks about the people switching from windows to make it even easier for them to find apps like on the ipad and iphone

and why did you install LION? its a developer version , its supposed not to work , as apple needs feedback and reports about what is not working so by deinstalling it you are not much help and it wont get better from alone

Last edited:

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
I updated to System X.6.6 (10 hour download) which updated Preview to Version 5.0.3 (504.1)

Preview is still automatically downsizing my high-res master jpgs from my camera!!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.02.54 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-09 at 8.02.54 PM.png
    314 KB · Views: 99

akmk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Alaska
Preview Downsizing jpgs

Starting a new thread on "preview" issues.

I updated from X.6.4 to X.6.6. When doing this Preview updates to 5.0.3--and this does eliminate the "create" date problem of 1903. Now there is a blank line for "create" date which is an improvement.:)

The problem that remains however is the default setting for saving .jpgs.:mad:

Everytime a .jpg is opened in preview and simply renamed or saved to another folder, the default is to reduce the image quality from 10 to 8. Or, to put it another way, to reduce the image quality by 20% each time one uses preview to handle a jpg.

Preview would be highly useful--except for this problem--which is huge.

Apple Senior Tech support says there is no way to set the image quality "default" for jpgs from 8 to 10. So one must use "save as" and reset the slider each time or .jpgs will be reduced in quality by 20% every time one uses Preview for .jpgs to sort, rename, etc.

Very risky if one has high-res jpgs they don't want to lose.

There is no explanation or warning of this feature in "help" files for Preview and Apple is touting "Preview" as a very good app for dealing with images without mentioning this.

With .tif files, image quality remains high when using Preview unless one tells it to do otherwise.

With .jpg files, image quality is automatically reduced by 20% every time one uses Preview unless one goes to a hidden file that appears with "save as" and pushes the quality bar to 10.

Since digital cameras, for the most part, use .jpg rather .tif format, this default feature for Preview is a huge problem that engineers need to fix. No one wants to lose/reduce their image quality because of a hidden Apple default that can't even be changed.

Be forewarned. :eek:

And to save others from lecturing me about using Preview instead of Photoshop, please refrain. I know how to and do use Photoshop for serious image editing.

Preview, however, is much handier for previewing, sorting, renaming files--except for Apple's forcing jpgs down 20% in image quality every time it is used. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.