Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1
genetic
macrumors 6502

Anyone use "USB Drive" in Cydia?

does anyone use USB drive in cydia? does it work on 4.1? any bugs? would like some opinions on it as i am looking to turn my phone into a usb drive that i can just access through "my computer" in windows.thanks fellas

edit: to those who havent heard of this, heres a vid of it (of many on youtube, lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iz6Op4X4So

Last edited by genetic; Mar 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM.
genetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:54 PM   #2
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

I had one, I don't remember what it was called... Maybe USB Drive, or USB Disk, something like that. Anyway it lets you use it for like 2 weeks as a trial before you pay for it, so you can try it out. I ended up not keeping it since I never used it, so no sense in paying for something I don't use. I didn't really see any problems with it though.

Also, even with it uninstalled now, my iPhone still shows up under My Computer. The only thing it shows now is the DCIM folder or something (photos), whereas that other app showed more folders. But anyway my point is maybe you can do what you want anyway... I haven't tried putting anything directly on my iPhone using this method, but it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Okay nevermind, no luck there. It lets you copy/delete photos from your iPhone, but it does not allow you to copy anything to it. Weird. So yeah if you want to do that, that USB Disk app might be your best bet.
DDustiNN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 04:56 AM   #3
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
EDIT: Okay nevermind, no luck there. It lets you copy/delete photos from your iPhone, but it does not allow you to copy anything to it. Weird. So yeah if you want to do that, that USB Disk app might be your best bet.
This is normal without an app. (at least on windows). You're phone is recognized as a "camera" and you can pull photos off your phone but you can't put anything on it.
Sedrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Orion126
macrumors regular

Only one I found is called USB Drive. It's in beta (but works fine) and it's free. The repo to download it is:

http://apt.dmytro.me
Orion126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:58 PM   #5
wolverine9827
macrumors newbie

i-funbox can do this and more... especially nice if you have install0us
and it's free. google it up and enjoy!
wolverine9827 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:02 PM   #6
genetic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine9827 View Post
i know of ifunbox but i want to turn my phone into a flash drive without needing software to access my files on a computer. usb drive seems to be the only program/mod capable of this. id like to add files to my phone on my computer, then transfer to any other computer (aka a flashdrive ) . as for installous, for obvious reasons...no way
genetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Carlanga
macrumors 603

I had it on 3.x and worked perfectly, don't know w/ 4.x since I believe he stopped updating it before 4.x came out...
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

It works fine on 4.X. Also it doesn't mount the iPhone's disks. It makes a disk image on the iPhone and that's the thing that gets mounted on the computer.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 6:21 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:45 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine9827 View Post
i-Funbox requires iTunes, if I'm reading right. Not good, especially for a work environment that doesn't allow iTunes.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:09 AM   #10
flatlined
macrumors member

I used the one at USB Drive at http://apt.dmytro.me and it worked fine on 4.3.1 setting it up and drag and dropping an album to it. I then took my 3GS iPhone to my car and my stereo that has a USB port recognized it played the MP3's and was charging where before it was not supported.

When I plugged my iPhone back into my computer it kept chirping. I had to delete the drive to get it back in iTunes and I also ended up Unjailbreaking it.

Reading into the app a little more I think it was because I think I had it in drive mode where I should have had it in defult or Drive + iTunes. Is this correct?

Thanks
flatlined is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:03 AM   #11
sasessiontc
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
I used the one at USB Drive at http://apt.dmytro.me and it worked fine on 4.3.1 setting it up and drag and dropping an album to it. I then took my 3GS iPhone to my car and my stereo that has a USB port recognized it played the MP3's and was charging where before it was not supported.

When I plugged my iPhone back into my computer it kept chirping. I had to delete the drive to get it back in iTunes and I also ended up Unjailbreaking it.

Reading into the app a little more I think it was because I think I had it in drive mode where I should have had it in defult or Drive + iTunes. Is this correct?

Thanks
I've been using this one for a while now and have had no problems with it. The only disadvantage is having to change the modes if you have to go between different computers with different operating systems and if they have iTunes or not. Otherwise, it's been working like a flash drive should.
sasessiontc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:24 AM   #12
flatlined
macrumors member

So if I'm on a computer with iTunes I should use default or Drive + iTunes? I couldn't get my iPhone to show up in iTunes so I deleted the partition and deleted the app.

Thanks
flatlined is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks